Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12057821 05/28/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
South pulled out the state championship in boys soccer in a very intense final against West Valley that went into double overtime and PK.

It was late in the second half when South scored the first goal, and with only minutes remaining West Valley tied it up. Double overtime and still tied at 1 - 1. Then the PK round and it was even until the last kick when West Valley hit the top bar and South took it 6 - 5.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A great match. Hard to top something like that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congratulations to South. From a coaches perspective, a shootout has got to be the most nerve-wracking thing there is in soccer! This year may have been WV's best chance at a state title for a while. Almost half the players are seniors and will leave big holes to fill next year. Supposed big changes coming next year to HS soccer. The smaller schools (<850 students) will be having their own state tournament leaving the larger schools by themselves. We've been after ASAA to do just that for many years now and it finally looks like it's going to happen.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by akpls
Congratulations to South. From a coaches perspective, a shootout has got to be the most nerve-wracking thing there is in soccer! This year may have been WV's best chance at a state title for a while. Almost half the players are seniors and will leave big holes to fill next year. Supposed big changes coming next year to HS soccer. The smaller schools (<850 students) will be having their own state tournament leaving the larger schools by themselves. We've been after ASAA to do just that for many years now and it finally looks like it's going to happen.

In Texas the better players are on the select traveling teams. It hurts the high schools. My Grandson burnt out on soccer as they traveled the USA and his practices were driving across the Dallas metro plex to Arlington,Tx. I don't think the traveling teams, basketball, baseball, or others have made any great inroads into the high school sports yet.
I'm not a big fan of the elite traveling teams. It did end up getting my Grandson a full football scholarship, but he no longer cares for sports.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like a wild game!

Injuries causing a loss of key players for KCHS, but tied for third.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
West Valley was a great team, honestly I'd say their offense was much stronger at moving the ball and they had the ball for the majority of the game. But South's defense has been rock solid all season and they seem to scrap out wins against better teams time and again.

I missed the quarterfinal game so was glad to catch the video of my son's goal @ 4:27.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 05/29/17.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Good on your boy!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The kid behind Stanley might be someone's boy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to South

The WV boys are largely comprised of the 99s and those kids were always good

Undoubtedly coach maxwells best chance to win a state championship

I miss watching soccer matches, spent a lot of time doing so when my kids played

It's a great game Congrats to wv for an outstanding season and giving south a good match in the game

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by akpls

In Texas the better players are on the select traveling teams. It hurts the high schools. My Grandson burnt out on soccer as they traveled the USA and his practices were driving across the Dallas metro plex to Arlington,Tx. I don't think the traveling teams, basketball, baseball, or others have made any great inroads into the high school sports yet.
I'm not a big fan of the elite traveling teams. It did end up getting my Grandson a full football scholarship, but he no longer cares for sports.

The WV team is almost entirely made up of the comp/travel teams, 99's to 02's, from the Fairbanks area. The outdoor comp season immediately follows the HS season here so nothing prevents them from playing on both teams. WV is able to field an entire roster of competitive level players....some of the smaller schools can only manage 2 or 3.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.