-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cash, interesting article, exemplifies everyone has an opinion.

Curious, what is the bulk of your shooting and hunting? Game, ranges, etc?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have another one on my wish list, the pending limited run of Cerakoted Ruger Americans.

Jeff,

Tell me about that? Predator? Threaded? Who's stocking those? Shortactionsmoker?

David,

Not an RAR-P and not threaded, but a standard RAR with a 22" sporter weight/contour barrel with the metal Cerakoted in the desert sand color and the stock printed with a Kryptek Nomad camo pattern. It is an exclusive for United Sporting Companies and is illustrated on the Ruger site as their item # 16942.

I'm planning to buy 5 or 6 of them so that I can have 1 or 2 here at home, 3 to leave with my pre-positioned caches of hunting gear in CO, NH, and SD, and 1 to give to my friend, Andy, with the expectation that he'll return the Winchester/USRA 70 in 25 WSSM that he borrowed from me a decade or so ago.

[Linked Image]

what about us lefties? crazy

Screwed from the git-go.

I checked on those exclusives again today. None available in 6.5. I have them on a big backorder...

I think you lefties will be satisfied soon. I heard a rumor.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a rumor is better than nothing smile grin

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could you tell us if it was a Ruger rumor or a Tikka rumor, or other?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Cash, interesting article, exemplifies everyone has an opinion.

Curious, what is the bulk of your shooting and hunting? Game, ranges, etc?

Mostly the mountains, cut-overs and bean fields of VA... generally 400-500 yards or less... occasional trip to Idaho, Texas, Ohio... nothing much else. Used to live in Alaska, but that was a long time ago.

I just enjoy the mechanics of guns... enjoy building them... testing stuff... working out kinks. Some traditional... some weird (.338F, .358W, 9.3x62M, .375Socom, .460 Rowland w/ and w/o cans)... that kinda stuff.

90% of my range time is 100 yards (two or three times a week)... 3-4 times a years we try and stretch things out.

Drop me a PM if you want to chat more/videos/pics etc. Don't want to hijack this thread.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just curious as to you saying you prefer a 300 and 340 Roy, as to what size game and range. My longest deer kill was using a 6BR at 400 yds, LRF.....made it all of 25 yds or so after the hit. I too have enjoyed doing alot of R&D as many Loony's here, but getting narrowed down to keeping it simple and what works, minimizing blast to ears and recoil, so I have focused mostly on everything from 221 to 7/08, a 338/06 and 350 RM for good measure, but those are long gone, and the old Swede. I was a 6.5-308 user pre-260 Saami, after having Swedes, later 260s, and a Creedmoor, I did like it fine. It worked well like others, but to simplify cartridges I load for, I weeded out all but a 47 Lapua for now. I could flip a coin between it and the CM based on my experience.

Nothing it will do that another good 6.5 won't, but the 47 is very pleasant and a tackdriver. The 9.3 was on my bucket list, but time is short, so not sure if I will get around to playing with one, but it would be a top choice if I planned an Elk hunt, or even Africa. I like Mid-bores for a purpose, and never felt I needed to reach beyond the distances you do. But found the 6s and 6.5s to be very enjoyable. The 6BR has been one of my most enjoyable, having had many built. I guess I never needed a large 30 or 338, though owned a 338 WM for a short time. Shot a 416 RM once, never again. Hate recoil, and blast, already have a touch of tinnitus at times, likely due to shooting without proper protection when a youngster. None the less, we all like a different flavor I suppose. I do notice many over the years, "down-sizing" or Right-sizing, whichever they might call it, to rounds more shootable, and they continue to fill the freezer. I'll admit to still owning a 243, flat, accurate, deadly, mild. Just never warmed up to 300s and 340s, but respect what they can do, and owners who shoot them well. That 375-08 does sound interesting, only b/c back in the mid 90s I mocked up a 338/08, though know it was wildcatted years before. I suppose you can ring out a 300 Roy over those open areas. I guess in the end, we all use what works for us, based on experience....and after my first rifle, a 7RM, 30 years ago, I have gone the opposite direction of many. I guess you could say I am in the "Less is more" crowd.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Ruger.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sent you a PM 65BR... don't want to hijack the thread on other calibers.

Last edited by CashisKing; 06/09/17.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Ruger.
Please make it a rimfire rumor....?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Ruger.
Please make it a rimfire rumor....?

an american in 22mag would be nice

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I picked up a New 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 this spring....I walked into Cabelas the next week.....One box of 6.5 Greed on the shelf for 40 bucks....Hundreds of rounds of all flavors of 308 starting at 14 bucks a box for Hunting Ammo....I walked in to Bass pro just a couple of Boxes for sky high prices....I walked in to Academy sports....None....I do not reload...So I came Home and put the 6.5 Creed on line and sold it.....So if you reload get a Creedmoor. If not get a 308.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you reload get a Creedmoor. If not get a 308.

I could argue the other way around. Very easily.

Why do you think it was hard to find on the shelf?

Super accurate and very well put together factory loads for the 6.5 Creed.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
At Twice the price....For very little Gain...I will just shoot when the wind is not Blowing......

Very accurate 308 rounds Available for cheap.. So I can Shoot a lot more and Learn to dope the wind.

So Factory 308 rounds are put together different than 6.5?

How is a 6.5 Creedmoor round put together to make it More Accurate than a 308 round?

Funny How the 308 was the [bleep] for over 60 years.. Along comes the 6.5 and all of sudden the 308 is worthless!

I will keep my 308 and shoot 100s of rounds for cheap this summer and if I am lucky I will kill a Monster Buck with it this Fall. If the wind is not Blowing!

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 06/09/17.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is lots of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo available at the local Cabela's, Scheel's, and Guns Unlimiited. Even if there wasn't, there has always been plenty of it available for purchase from on-line retailers. The least expensive ammo 6.5 Creedmoor that I've seen/bought has been Hornady's American Whitetail 129 grain hunting load for around $18 per box of 20 and it shoots excellent groups in my rifles.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
At Twice the price....For very little Gain...I will just shoot when the wind is not Blowing......

Very accurate 308 rounds Available for cheap.. So I can Shoot a lot more and Learn to dope the wind.

So Factory 308 rounds are put together different than 6.5?

How is a 6.5 Creedmoor round put together to make it More Accurate than a 308 round?

Funny How the 308 was the [bleep] for over 60 years.. Along comes the 6.5 and all of sudden the 308 is worthless!

I will keep my 308 and shoot 100s of rounds for cheap this summer and if I am lucky I will kill a Monster Buck with it this Fall. If the wind is not Blowing!

grin
Yep, kinda like what truck ur driving. When I had a Chevy I heard, "I've got all kind of Ford parts the Chevy's are higher"..... Later when I got a Ford, guess what I heard, "I've got all kind of Chevy parts, the Ford's are higher." smirk

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Compared to the 308 - There's not nearly as much manufactured....so less supply.

Out of ALL the hunters I know NONE owns a Creed.

For that matter I have a 6.5X55 and I've never known anyone who had one either.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Compared to the 308 - There's not nearly as much manufactured....so less supply.

Out of ALL the hunters I know NONE owns a Creed.

For that matter I have a 6.5X55 and I've never known anyone who had one either.

Jerry

When you shoot a firearm with less common factory ammo, you just have to plan ahead. Some people are planners, while most people live more or less spontaneously.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

When you shoot a firearm with less common factory ammo, you just have to plan ahead. Some people are planners, while most people live more or less spontaneously.

Agreed. Fortunately I began handloading early on so I've never been dependent on factory ammo. Plus I believed in stocking up on components.
It only makes sense to me. I never felt the PINCH of the 22 RF 'shortage'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

Agreed. Fortunately I began handloading early on so I've never been dependent on factory ammo. Plus I believed in stocking up on components.
It only makes sense to me. I never felt the PINCH of the 22 RF 'shortage'.

Jerry

I started handloading when I was 12 so that I could feed my 219 Zipper, 25-35, 250-3000, and 7x57, but I'll shoot factory ammo if it has a bullet weight and style that I like and is accurate in my rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weatherby has 6.5 in 300 weatherby.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.