Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Getting ready to put a Niedner butt plate on a stock for a 25-06. I know it is mostly for looks but I like the looks and this will be a Whelan/Wundhammer inspired style. I think that I will be using a slip on leather recoil pad for most hunting and range work but particularly for stalking/still hunting I will use the steel butt plate for faster mounting and when I have heavy cloths on.

My usual LOP is 13&5/8 inches the slip on pad is a half inch thick. Should I do my standard LOP or shorten 1/2 inch or split the difference? Tempted to just split the difference but thought I should consult with the pros first.

Thanks for any advice. Yes I know us gun loonys obsess about everything.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This one will have a Loopy 2.5x8 on it so a fairly forgiving "eye box" of about 3.5 to 4 ". But too close you see the innards and too far you have the tunnel vision look. But on the long action there is very little room to compensate for this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would think you could go 13 1/4" and never know the difference, I could be wrong. Personally I would prefer a little shot over a little long.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like short stocks. We tend to measure these things wearing a thin shirt, standing upright, aiming at something fairly level with our eye. I have shot deer while wearing heavy coats, squatting beside and leaning around a tree. All those things will cause a longer stock to become something of a problem. My favorite rifles feel too short standing, wearing normal clothes. YMMV

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too prefer a short stock. One that I can cuddle up to and be comfortable wearing either a heavy coat or not. Whoever determined that a "proper" stock had to reach from the crook of the inside of your elbow to the inside curve of your trigger finger? Sounds pretty arbitrary. I came to like short stocks when I purchased one that had been made for a smaller woman and accidentally discovered that it fit me very well and was comfortable to shoot too.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that unless your thumb is hitting your nose from the recoil your stock isn't to short.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...ain't no pro...

Do agree with you on obsessing, preferring a slick buttplate for stillhunting and the comments on the 2.5-8x--not long action friendly for me.

Stillhunting, am wearing lighter/thinner clothing generally but still have them say 3/8" shorter, as if I was wearing heavier gear for sitting.

Scoped accordingly, for me they mount faster to the eye and there isn't as much possibility of a hang-up when you get a sizable dose of adrenaline while not quite on task...:)

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A slip-on for a 25-06?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Stub" is a 17 Inch barreled '06, with stock cut down to eye dimensions, and the wife. It wears a 1" Decelerator pad. which I CAN use, but find it more comfortable for my use length if I add a 1" slip-on. Shoulder recoil is right pleasant, tho it has a mite of bark and muzzle jump to it! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
A slip-on for a 25-06?

More to protect the rifle from slipping when stood on the butt and to adjust LOP in hot weather. That and noise esp. in a metal tripod.

IC B3

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It's obvious you are going after a particular look and you should stick to it. Fast snap shooting fit while hunting, trumps all else.
Take care of the rifle first, then worry about the sights. If you have a gun fitter in your area, get fitted for exact dimensions and use it for all future builds.
If not possible. Here's amy personal steps.
Dress in your hunting attire that you will be wearing the majority of time and not the extreme. With no scope, mount the rifle as you would in a hunting scenario quickly. Pull the trigger, keep the rifle mounted on your shoulder with complete stock weld and focused on an object target. Cycle the bolt with speed, complete the cycle several times, while paying attention to any discomfort in bending your elbow far back to complete the cycle or where is the optimal position for speed and comfort for you. If you have an observer, it's even better. Add or remove some type of spacers/ cardboard etc.. to get your fit. Pay attention you don't smack your face with the rear of the bolt.
Next is the secondary priority and vital is scope design and eye relief. Most variables have good eye relief at their lowest setting. Crank the power up and do quick snap mounts and you will discover a smaller window and you'll have to start crawling forward on the stock to see a full picture. Never mind the scope eye.
The Leupold 2.5-8x36mm is an excellent scope but with a major fault. The designated "C" tube which is the flat tube between the adjustment dials and objective lens is way too short at 1.7". If they would lengthen that tube by 3/4", it would fit everybody. You have too compensate by installing an offset bases or rings which are hideous in looks and usually protrude into the ejection port area. Try the Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm, it has a much better mounting option due to the "C" tube. Another excellent choice is the 6x42mm fixed.
Shooting on the range, as long as you don't get scope eye, your body will conform to task. You have ample time, also when shooting supported position in the field. It's the snap shooting that is difficult and that's where most miss and usually at close range. Best of luck to you.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks.

My fitting method is try and file/rasp until it feels right. I do the look then close my eyes and mount routine and will adjust until it lines up almost every time.

Scope picture looks good on the factory stock. I couldn't believe the barrel was almost a drop in except for the longer shank. This takes the hurry out of finishing the replacement. I'm thinking 13 and 1/4 should be about right. 13 &1/2 to 3/4 LOP usually works so if I use a pad I am still in the range of fit. I'll shoot it with the 2.5x8x but if it doesn't work out I have a 6x42 to swap out with. Need to check the pitch on a couple other rifles but will probably go the same as on a Dakota I have as I like that stock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.