-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's what I got for my newest son-in-law. The cdnn specs say 7.5lbs but that is the weight for the walnut stocked version. I suspect the weight is about .6.5 lbs.as my 16.1" Ruger Scout .308 Win is 6.25 lbs per Ruger.

Hated to ship it off to my son-in-law as I really enjoyed the way it handled and shot. (SOMEBODY has to mount the scope and zero it...) smile

20" .30-06, all Weather M77, $499.99

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.WSoXUGjyuUk.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As the owner of a really bad back and a T3 6.5X55 and a ruger Ultralight 257Roberts, I'll advise to avoid rifles that became light by using a pencil-thin barrel. The T3 is easy to shoot accurately, the UL Ruger came with a long learning curve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka. T3 superlight in 7-08, 270, 30-06 etc. Mine is a '06

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
verhoozits

Pardon me for not quoting you. I'd like to comment on just a small part of your post. I don't intend or mean to be critical in the least.

You said the 'plavix' caused the bruising on your face, neck & shoulder. I didn't know about that side affect so I'll make a mental note. I've been on the generic of that and haven't had those 'assets', I'll be watching close, thnx.

Also I've had a T 3 Lite S S 270 since 2003 and the recoil hasn't been that noticeable to me. However I guess I'm somewhat recoil insensitive.
One of my fav rifles is a Win 70 Black Shadow in 300 WM. YEP it has recoil but I've killed quite a few deer with it. It's a pleasure to carry and hunt it so ...For Whatever Reason recoil doesn't bother me as it does others --so far.

I'm glad you found a solution in more than having to stop shooting. Keep on the firing line.

BTW I'm 67 yo.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Wyogal
In the Free Classifieds, Onpoint has a Tikka T3 SS .308 for sale $585. NIB. Might want to look at that.

Sounds like a great price to me. I gave @ 550.00 for mine in 2003. At the time they were not readily available in my area. I had to have it ordered so I didn't get to price haggle. The only diff is mine is 270.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My 98 with heavy barrel an Leupold 3.5x10 must weigh close to 10 pounds loaded and slung. I'll be 69 in late August and hardly notice the weight. And it shoots great! Off the handlebars of the ATV or windscreen of the sno go. smile

For walkabout l take the .260 Rem 725 with 2-7 Leupold... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would suggest a Weatherby Ultralight or a Tikka Superlight. The Weatherby's are both 30-06 and I usually shoot 150's or 165's, if you think the recoil might be too much I believe they are made in 308, 270 and 7-08. My SL is a 308 and doesn't kick much. For a scope I like the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, some of the guys on here like a Leupold fixed 6x. Good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jwall..."Plavix" was a registered protected trade name that has now moved into a generic status under the name "Clopidogrel"., and is a anti clotting agent and NOT a blood thinner as I had thought initially. Only downside I've found is that I am no longer eligible to donate blood, with the anti clotting agent in daily use.

A common side effect with no other side effects expected, I was told in 2009 when I opted to try 4 stents instead of a Triple By Pass, included easy and extensive brusing that would take weeks or even months to fade when they occurred.

Daily consumption of OTC Tumeric aka Circumin which is the active ingredient, has been the only thing I've found that helps to clear up or prevent this bruising. as tumeric is an circulation enhancement herb among other things, including help with arhritus and gout.

Gout is another form of arthritus according to Dallas Cowboy legend Emmitt Smith. My gouty right big toe joint is half the size it was before starting Tumeric in '11, and has regained most of it's rotational ability too, with frequent "pops" of the joint as it releases tension.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 05/28/17. Reason: added info

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Sako76
I would suggest a Weatherby Ultralight or a Tikka Superlight. The Weatherby's are both 30-06 and I usually shoot 150's or 165's, if you think the recoil might be too much I believe they are made in 308, 270 and 7-08. My SL is a 308 and doesn't kick much. For a scope I like the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, some of the guys on here like a Leupold fixed 6x. Good luck!

I'm going to second the Weatherby. I'm only 64 years old, pretty good sized and in great shape, so I don't feel like I have any physical limitations. However, I happen to like the Wby ULW, mine's in .257. Not the very lightest but for a long rifle, balances well and the stock design is the best. It directs recoil away from your face and puts your eye where it belongs on a scoped rifle. It has it's detractors, to be sure but I suspect that few have actually fired one. A couple years ago, I had the same rifle in 7mm Wby mag and it was still pleasant to fire, even from the bench. I often wish I had the 7mm back. Accuracy with the ones I've owned was exceptional.

The other thing I'd suggest, if you feel you have physical limitations is to take the money you'd spend on a doctor (or a new rifle), hire a knowledgable trainer and get a gym membership. You might surprise yourself. I rehabilitated my right shoulder at the gym, slowly and carefully, after being told it needed surgery.

Last edited by Fischer; 05/28/17.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This was said before, but the Ruger American is hard to beat. I have the Stainless version in 7mm-08, 22 inch barrel. Around 6.5 pounds without the scope, very easy to handle and shoots the 162 grain Hornady ELD-x into one hole. Some complain about the stock, but I have no problems with it. I did end up ordering a compact stock to replace the standard stock as I require a shorter length of pull.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds to me like you need a Tika T3.
I have the Hunter model with wood stock.
The wood stock makes all the plastic parts tolerable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fischer, the surgical damge to my shoulder was the result of a large 23oz non malignant tumor being removed from the side of my neck, and during the removal of the tumors roots from my spine, all 5 major nerve trunks coming out of my head and into my upper back and spine were cut or torn in 2006. I had wrongy presumed the rampant uncontrollable skin cancer on my face had spread to the side of my neck, becme concerned with losing the big house to medical bills and we sold off the big house in North Dallas and any extras that would not fit in storage and moved to the lake cabin to get ready for the Last Roundup.

The next spring my neighbor talked me into enrolling in the VA ,to claim whatever benfits I had coming , for my wife to use after I was gone...and Dallas VA started cutting on me aggressively for a couple years, 5 major surgeries and lots of little ones for various stuff over the next 11 years. At the VA in Dallas you are a living cadaver for their Dr's to practice their learning curve on.

3 of those operations were sucessful as planned, but 2 of them gave me major permanent damage issues I did not have previously as a result. ..and again sold the lake cabin that was a planned keeper in retirement and moved out of the Dallas VA Service Area to escape their Quality of Services. .

Following the tumor surgeryin Fall '06 My PT Mgr's hour long survey with a muscle stimulatorin Spring '07 resulted in her original diagnosis of my condition as a Life Time Upper Right Quadrant Cripple, that later was changed after the 18 month rehab effort, and having about 75-80% mobility and functional strength when she said she couldn't so anything more for me. Lots of work went into that 18 month effort, with 3 unrelated Pain Dr's sending me 5 different kinds of unlimited quantity's of opiods as I ordered them, but 11 years later at 72 going on 73 the local County VA Service Officer has recently certified me to apply for muliple cause's of DV status from the work done in the 2 failed procedures, that was the final result at Dallas VA Hospital, that left me more damaged than I was before they worked on me. That's where I am today.

Since you are now at about the same age I was at 64 when I started having mutliple surgeries or procedures for different stuff, you will be amazed at how fast you will deteriorate when you get past 70-72. I've lost more mobility and strength in the last 3 years than I have in the last 10-15 years.
Ron .

Last edited by verhoositz; 05/29/17. Reason: clarity

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FG +1 on the wood stocked Tikka's being Lil' Red Riding Hood just right weight wise at a scootch under 7lbs bare nekkid. Most of 'em I saw in Europtics site spec sheets weighed 6lb 13 oz's in either Hunter Grades or Forest Grades, with a 7Rmg Forest at 7lbs even and the 270WSM Hunter at the same 7lb weight. Interestingly both of the 6.5Swedes weighed the same at a little less, 6lb's 5/8'th's. according to the sperc sheets in each caliber.

Also looked hard recently at BACO M70 Fwt's and the short actions come in about 6 3/4's and the LA's about 7lb's even from what I remember. Dinnit look at the Sporters though.
Ron

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by verhoositz
FG +1 on the wood stocked Tikka's being Lil' Red Riding Hood just right weight wise at a scootch under 7lbs bare nekkid. Most of 'em I saw in Europtics site spec sheets weighed 6lb 13 oz's in either Hunter Grades or Forest Grades, with a 7Rmg Forest at 7lbs even and the 270WSM Hunter at the same 7lb weight. Interestingly both of the 6.5Swedes weighed the same at a little less, 6lb's 5/8'th's. according to the sperc sheets in each caliber.

Also looked hard recently at BACO M70 Fwt's and the short actions come in about 6 3/4's and the LA's about 7lb's even from what I remember. Dinnit look at the Sporters though.
Ron

The 6lb 13oz is what my Mark V 6 lug weighs with a Bushnell 4200 4-16X 40.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
verhoositz - sounds like you've been through it. Sorry for your troubles. My wife has tried to get me to use the VA, but that's an "over my dead body" deal. My point was a general one. I've had a couple of the surgeries you talk about, right front trapezoid, under the collar bone. I'm lucky though, just a little asymmetry. Anyway, my point was that most folks could benefit by getting in shape and then carry whatever rifle they want. I also hunt with a BAR and it's not light. I can hump it all over the place all day long. There are people a lot older than me at my gym; my trainer works with a married couple who are 85 & 83 years old. I see them there, working hard and looking surprisingly good. I see guys in wheelchairs, guys missing limbs, etc. I've also gotten myself completely off blood pressure meds, by going to the gym 3-4 times a week and leaving everything right there. I had several TIAs and a heart attack, all while under a "doctor's" care. I'm done with that crap. Getting in shape and eating clean fixed all of that and I don't take any prescription meds. So, don't write yourself off. I still think you could surprise yourself. Oh, and I still recommend the Wby ULW, perhaps in a standard caliber, like 7mm-08. A pound lighter and still has that great stock. Not a bad looking rifle either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know that lots of VA hospitals deserve to get a bad rap, but there are exceptions, the CenTex VA Sytem based in Temple & Waco is IMO one of those too rare exceptions.

The reason I moved was to get into Temple VA's System and access to their primary resource for their national quality specialty Dr's at the Scott& White HQ location in Temple, 6 blocks away, and they work hand in glove with each other from my experiences.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 05/29/17. Reason: off thread's primary subject

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Truck,
I just turned 72 and get what your saying. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 and it is a very smooth operating and accurate rifle, as accurate as my Vanguard or M700 except lighter. Great barrel and trigger. I think you would enjoy one of these a lot.

Here's the thing about Tikka, the recoil pads are crap. When you take the screws out and remove the pad you will notice it is a hard plastic material partitioned in a way that you can see the plastic is almost as deep as the total pad thickness. These factory pads are simply plastic and covered with a thin approximately 1/8 " thin veneer of rubber!

The good news, you can buy a "Limbsaver" recoil pad made to fit perfectly from Brownell's or Midway and it will turn your Tikka into a very comfortable rifle, even in 30-06 or larger caliber.

Good luck with whatever you choose,

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Verhoositz, you sound like me, all my loads are as hot as is safe according to Quick load. I have 270s, 7mm mag, 257 Roberts, 270 WSM, 22-250, and a 338 mag.
all of them the heavy model except the 270 WSM Ruger. Last week I looked at the Tikka T3x, the Kimber, and couple of others at Sportmans Warehouse.
I like the Weatherbys but haven,t seen one. Got to check out the ULW and Weathermark. I guess I could download the short mag, but have not tried. I
do have several light scopes, so that's a start. Forgot to mention I had both Shoulders done, one 4 years ago and one 2 years ago. I think I may look
at a few rifles in 7mm-08. I,m retired military so I have Tri-care, and go to my local clinic. I do get my hearing aids from the VA. Got my Elk in 2016
with Vanguard S2 270 Winchester shooting 150gr Partitions and Norma MRP 59.2gr. I only put in for a Mule deer tag in Colorado this year had 7 preference
points so hope to get a tag, 3rd season.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by verhoositz
I know that lots of VA hospitals deserve to get a bad rap, but there are exceptions, the CenTex VA Sytem based in Temple & Waco is IMO one of those too rare exceptions.

I wanted to echo that the Temple/Waco VA system is incredible. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2007 and passed away in 2010 including the last 2 months in the hospital (2 stints in ICU). His care was exceptional and other than the last 2 months his quality of life was incredible. He even got a second opinion from one of the leading oncology doctors at MD Anderson who flat out said the VA treatment program was as good as what he would have gotten anywhere.

Also, I would like to thank all of you gentlemen for sharing your stories and renewing my desire to hunt. I haven't hunted much since my dad passed away, but decided I needed to get back to it. I am looking to do Elk next year and Africa within 5 years. Because that involves lot more walking than traditional stand hunting in Texas, I think light is the way to go. I am already an ultralight hiking devotee (even using tarps instead of tents), so ultralight makes sense to me. I am going to trade in my 7x57 Steyr M Professional for a Fieldcraft 308 this year and stick a 10oz Leupold FX2 6x36 fixed power scope on it. All up should be just over 6 pounds fully loaded and not a lot of recoil.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
How are the Sako M85 Finnlight? Still looking a 7mm-08. Just have not taken to that M77 Ruger in my safe. I,m afraid anything Hotter will be
to much like what I have. I can shoot the 257 Roberts all day and the 270 but both are a little on the heavy side. May go down to 130gr
accubonds for deer hunting with the 270.

Last edited by GunTruck50; 05/31/17.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.