Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by msinc
I use a Turboflame Ranger and it works fine. It is refillable butane and I never heard of it until I bought this thing but the instructions say you must use highly refined, zero impurity butane.....and they are right. But, if you fill it properly and use the correct butane it works great, in the rain or snow, wet or dry, wind or calm it lights. Amazon sells these things for $71.00, but I didn't buy mine there and I didn't pay no $71.00 for it either. 3" long, 1 1/2" wide at the widest point and has a hole for a lanyard. As long as I have this I cannot get lost in the woods...just look for the lone single hillbilly standing next to the 40,000 acre forest fire because if I don't know where I am I am burning the woods down!!!!! I wont be lost for long...wont be cold either.
Amazon's prices are absurd sometimes. Here's a site that has it for $20. TURBOFLAME

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't know for sure what part of the bbq lighters that altitude affects but I think it's the butane. I've tried a dozen different brands and it's always the same. We camp above 6k regularly and they won't light. I don't think it's the piezo that fails. Our camper stove has one and it works anywhere but it's lighting propane.

Just spent 4 days camping at 8800' and our BBQ lighter worked fine...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't know for sure what part of the bbq lighters that altitude affects but I think it's the butane. I've tried a dozen different brands and it's always the same. We camp above 6k regularly and they won't light. I don't think it's the piezo that fails. Our camper stove has one and it works anywhere but it's lighting propane.

Just spent 4 days camping at 8800' and our BBQ lighter worked fine...
What brand do you have? I have several that work fine here at home but not in the mountains.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kingsford.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/29/17.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As others have said stash a few bic's in your gear and in your pocket, and roll with it. Just remember to pop off the child safety band, don't want to screw around with that in a real emergency. I carry a firesteel as well as a back up.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
One bic with the stove and pot, one bic in my leg pocket, and one in my bino case..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good luck with Bics over the years at all altitudes, I always have at least one backup source of ignition however.

I've got in the habit of putting two flattened tinder tabs and put them under a section of inner tube (which can also serves as a fire extender) that goes over the base of the lighter

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

a small piece of shockcord to insure no gas inadvertently escapes

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Used to carry BICs until I realized they no longer worked well for me when my hands were cold and wet. Loss of tactile sensation and degraded muscle control - when cold and wet - made me turn against them.

I've got a couple of other lighters - a Zippo and a butane cigar lighter. Carry one or the other as back up but have yet to need either. Swedish fire steel and vaseline-cotton balls have been working the first time.

Think I may carry a road flare next time I go out. Just to try.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.