Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening gents,

I have just, as in today, acquired a used Remington XCR II in 300 WSM. Rings, no scope as the scope the guy had on it was a lower quality Bushnell. Not sure how much longer it would last given the amount of shooting I do compared to the minimal shooting the guy does so I told him he could keep it. I think he only fired no more than 100 rounds through it. The finish shows wear due to use and from being a truck gun, living behind the seat. Everything checks out as solid though.
I got what I feel is a good deal on it.
It is in pretty good condition overall. Fits me very well LOP etc. Most stock rifles are very uncomfortable for me due to a longer LOP that ends up being shortened. This factory synthetic Hogue over mold fits me perfectly.
I am seriously considering an FX II 6X Leupold but am open to suggestions. My plan is to use it as my go to Prairie rifle for elk, mule and white tail deer and antelope with occasional bear and moose hunts.

I don't have any pics as yet.

All in all, I am impressed but am looking for real world reports. Any one using or has used one? Likes/dislikes.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I hunted with one last season on my .30-06 for the first time. Nothing not to like.
Plenty of eye relief. Plenty of 1" tube space for mounting. Good optics.
Some kind of moisture repellent would be nice but Leupold hasn't gone that route yet.
The rifle it's on goes less than 6 1/2 lbs and so far so good.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks,

Good looking rifle and scope.
I am pretty much a dyed in the wool fixed power scope guy, when I even bother to use one.
I really like irons but this is obviously a longer range tool w/o irons so a quality scope is the way to go.

Jeff

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You say the rifle had a low quality scope. How about the bases and rings? I prefer the lightweight Talley's. I recently found which ones fit that .30-06 which is a Husqvarna 1640 so the ones in the pic aren't on it now.

Earl

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The rings and bases are the integral Remington supplied ones. I haven't used or even seen these before.
They are interesting, kind of similar to Ruger ones but not as robust looking. Will need to investigate them a bit.

The guy was swapping the scope between 2 or 3 rifles. Kind of interesting the way he buys a decent rifle then cheaps out on a scope.
Works for him I suppose.
Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the Leupold fixed 6. Personally I love those scopes as well and wish I had one on my new 270 Win but couldn't find one with a regular duplex. The fixed will do everything you will need out of it IMO.

Rob
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Harv3589,

Thanks for that.I was also considering the FX II 4X as well. Both are great scopes. Hope to get a look at them in the next few days.
Another possibility is go all out and get the VX 6HD. Nice scope but pricey and I am in the process of buying a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20g as my Hun gun.
I have few months to research the scopes at least, possibly longer as I plan to only hunt upland birds and waterfowl this year, something I have wanted to do for awhile now, just kick back and chase birds.

Anyone familiar with this rifle? Owned or hunted with someone who hunts with one?
I haven't owned a Remington in a number of years. Have heard good things in general, it is built on the 700 action which I understand is pretty good.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 4x will serve you just as well...I'm not sure the VX6HD is really worth it and you sound to me to be much more of a hunter vs a shooter so it maybe a waste. If your looking at a variable the VX-2 line is really good and and a great bang for the buck.

A beretta upland shotgun is in my plans as well, just not sure when and how it will happen wink

Rob
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
You are right, hunter not target shooter, at least not to the point where I spend hours on the bench. Sighting in and regular practice mostly.
I briefly saw the VX 6HD and it sure is nice but ya, more of a target shooters tool.
End of the day, I'm likely sticking with the FX series but it is fun looking.

The snazzy Beretta has been a veeeeery long time coming.

Have a great day,
Jeff

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by harv3589
The 4x will serve you just as well...I'm not sure the VX6HD is really worth it and you sound to me to be much more of a hunter vs a shooter so it maybe a waste. If your looking at a variable the VX-2 line is really good and and a great bang for the buck.

A beretta upland shotgun is in my plans as well, just not sure when and how it will happen wink

+1 on the VX-2. I've got a 3-9x40. Had it on the rifle in the pic for a while. Stayed on 6X so I bought the FX-II 6x36. Yrs ago I use to use a variable on my only rifle for all around hunting (ground hog to elk). If I were to do that again my VX-2 would do well.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks gents.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang around LGS tomorrow but likely not till next week when I get days off again. (Back to 12 hrs shifts Saturday through Tuesday)
Had thought about a Vortex but I just had too good of luck with Leupold over the years to change now.

Anyway, it is a nice used but well maintained rifle that calls for a quality scope. I expect to get many years out of it.
Once I get a scope mounted I'll post pictures somehow.

Have a good evening,
Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,
That's a fine rifle.
I have a 300wsm and did loading for a friend that has the same model as you do.
His liked the same recipe as mine - 180 Accubond w/ 69gr of R22 for a MV of just over 2900fps.

I use a VX3 2.5x8 B&C reticle on my 300wsm and the reticle matches quite nicely with that load to 450 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SKane
Jeff,
That's a fine rifle.
I have a 300wsm and did loading for a friend that has the same model as you do.
His liked the same recipe as mine - 180 Accubond w/ 69gr of R22 for a MV of just over 2900fps.

I use a VX3 2.5x8 B&C reticle on my 300wsm and the reticle matches quite nicely with that load to 450 yards.

Thanks for the positive report. I was pretty certain I made a good deal, just not familiar with Remington rifles. I know M700 have excellent reputations though.
I don't reload so I'll be experimenting with factory stuff. I am hoping that Barnes loads work well in it.
I have been planning to take up reloading but never seem to get around to it.....too many hobbies if that makes sense.

As much as I like the FX series of scopes, I was just looking at the VX3i 2.5X8 B&C online yesterday. It looks interesting.

Appreciate the feedback!
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly, you will like the 700. I have several rifles, like them all, but really like the action on the 700. Some of the "control round feed or bust" guys don't like a push feed but I prefer its slickness to that of the CRF on my CZ and the only time I had a jam were where I loaded the bullet too long for the magazine. I don't think a WSM will have that issue.

A 'knock ' (people will knock anything that isn't theirs) was that in order to clean the firing pin it was supposedly impossible to do it in the field. I found this not to be true. In the unlikely event you ever need to disassemble to de-grease or clean it, just jam the bolt face into your bootlaces, then pull up hard on the handle and rotate counter clockwise. You will soon have the in removed and can clean or whatever. Do the same in reverse to put back. Takes less than a minute and you won't lose any parts flying off it.

The recoil pad on the picture looks a little slim for a 300. I might be looking to swap that out if it is an accurate representation. .

I have used VX3. M8 6x42 , Meopta 6x42, Weaver K6 and Burris 6x40 as well as a couple other Leupold, Bushnell and Sightron variables. I am sure the current FX 6power is great and super bright but I found that the latest offering in the VX 3 range offer even better brightness (and resolution, and flare control and rendition) than highly acclaimed prior model fixed powers so I don't really see the advantage any more. I found myself using the VX3 most often ( and this was a surprise to me) at powers well below 6x. To get on a moving target I find the greater field of view almost indispensable. Leupold also made the erectors on these more robust so combine that with their warranty and I find I gravitate to good variables now after decades of being 6x only guy. I wouldn't limit to Leupold only but they will always get a look.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
nice!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey guys,
Thanks.
I have decided to mount a VX 3i on it, likely in a few months.
Was shooting a Kimber in .223 a few days ago with one on it. Very nice scope.

I had the opportunity to pick up a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 20g the other day. Having wanted one of these for sometime now the opportunity was not going to be missed. Depleted the gun fund for a couple of months but oh so sweet!
The rifle will be scoped this Fall though.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned several Leupold 6x42 scopes and have been very happy with them. They are very user friendly, brighter than similar scopes as the fixed X eliminates a focus lense and should be more durable with fewer moving parts. good eye relief to. Enjoy! I have found that you get more bang for your buck with fixed x scopes, I have a Swarovski 8x56 which was 400+ less than a similar variable and the same for my Schmidt & Bender 6x42.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks.
Just got back from a camping trip in the Rockies. Great weekend!
Wish I knew how to post pics.

Fixed powers are great bang for the buck indeed.
The minimal moving parts in the FX scopes is a huge plus.
Still shopping around.
Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.