Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally don't have the work commitment but the one who must be obeyed says we have to have the kids in camp that Sunday morning so that we can have no kids the following week. Hope to make one of these soon!

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sneak away from "the one who must be obeyed" and come on down.

We'll make up a story that you were kidnapped by aliens. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I need to sort things in honor if Ivan...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe we need to dedicate this years gathering in honor of Ivan

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Owl
Maybe we need to dedicate this years gathering in honor of Ivan

Precisely.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Owl that is a Great idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
Anjin - maybe bring the dogs? They probably would have some canine company.

Very nice thought, but there are four dogs here, all Jack Russell Terriers, and not so well socialized with other dogs. I can leave them alone only for a day. I think, but I am trying to get family to come, so the need is to board them locally for any longer than that.

Family is all visiting relatives in Japan (at long last) but I booked them all to return on July 25, so they can experience the "real outdoors" at Armijo Springs, Malpais, Pie Town, etc.

Stupid dogs found a rattler in the fenced backyard today so I had to dispatch it. They are little hunters and would not leave it alone. From the oval markings on the back it appears to be another Mojave Green.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well Anjin - FOUR Jack Russels in camp - and being not well socialized - might be a challenge in more ways than one. "Smoke", the wonderful lab that comes with RIO7 is highly trained and seems to handle almost anything calmly. That sweet Golden that sometimes comes with Roninphx is also pretty settled. But, "Ruby" the devilish Blue Lacey might be another story - apparently she is being tough on critters up in AK. Hope you succeed with the boarding and are able to get to the event.

Mohave Greens eh? What is your elevation/vegetation there?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure wish I could make it to one of these. Maybe next year I can hit this or the pig hunt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several pounds of ground wild boar (from the Campfire Hog Hunt) I can bring. It's not seasoned for sausage yet but either I can season it, or someone else can take a stab at it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Patrick. Very nice. Would you PM krp and discuss fitting that into his meal deal? Sure glad that you are coming.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes i would also like to make thi sEvent and or the Hog Hunt sometime!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As I love to see old friends as always, I am disappointed a few "new guys" like GopherGunner or Brent (Aka Yetti)
can't make it....

I can guarantee the "usual crowd"..that both of these gentlemen would make a wonderful addition to the Family
we've become at Quemado every year...

Quite a few other campfire members I've had the pleasure to meet, that I wish could make it down this year and
every year.

Despite all the campfire slander and argument constantly, I've sure met a fine bunch of folks in my travels and
my trips to Roosevelt Lake and Quemado each year.

Sure wish Brent could make it and also bring his family, wonderful folks... I think his older son Gunner would be
quite the hit with the rest of the campfire folks to boot. He is a future candidate for being a campfire member himself.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice thoughts, John. Thanks.

P.S. Not Q - the event is at Armijo Springs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This far away Paul, I just call it Quemado....

I think it has to do with Ken Howell living there in Quemado...and respecting Ol Ken...

Also when someone in AlbyQue pointed out to me it meant Burnt in Spanish...

Of course I can refer to it as ArmyJo Springs if you'd prefer...

Being an out of towner, I'm not all hip on that Mexican pronunciation of New Mexico Stuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys!

I am hoping to be able to come to the gathering this year, though not 100% sure yet.

Out of curiosity [and since I missed the last two years], what yardages are the various shooting events? Would like to get stuff sighted in at appropriate distances so it doesn't delay anything.

All the best to the guys who make this a real bright spot in the year!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
John, it's all good. Due to past factors not worth mentioning and some "location" confusion at times, in recent years we have tried to be rather precise about the actual site at Armijo Springs. Glad you are coming again.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by labarr
Hi Guys! I am hoping to be able to come to the gathering this year, though not 100% sure yet. Out of curiosity [and since I missed the last two years], what yardages are the various shooting events? Would like to get stuff sighted in at appropriate distances so it doesn't delay anything. All the best to the guys who make this a real bright spot in the year!

Hi Leonard - excellent if you can join in again. We've missed you and bro. Looks like the usual shoot descriptions/distances will be posted on this thread in a day or so..

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Normally, dennisinaz and I have been setting up and running the shooting contests. He's going to be absent this summer, and I asked some guys from the core group to share the load. They jumped right in with all feet and are doing a great job. Thanks to Ben, Miles, Randy, Darby and Jeff, we will get everything set up and the show will run in style. Although we have quite a few serious and excellent shooters who compete strongly, the competition is very friendly and the fun camaraderie abundant. If you've never been to this shindig, might want to give the idea some extra effort. Here are descriptions/specs the shoots for this summer at Armijo Springs.

FRIDAY 7/28
5:00 pm – Turkey Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) and may fire standing, sitting, prone, with various pods/shooting sticks, freehand, etc. or also from a clear bench with only elbows touching bench. (No equipment on bench.) Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

6:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot
Shooters may use any .22 rim fire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at a suitable target spot at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the target spot scores highest. Group size measured OS to OS of spread. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

SATURDAY 7/29
8:00 am - Prairie Dog Single Shot

Shooters may use any sporting firearm (not a dedicated target/competition type rifle), any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

10:00 am – Center Fire Tight Group Shoot
Shooters may use any sporting center fire firearm (not a dedicated target/competition type rifle), any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire three shots at a suitable target spot 100 yards distant. The smallest three-shot group with at least one shot in the spot is the winner. Group size measured OS to OS of spread. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

1:00 PM Steel Shoot

Steels will be painted for ease of scoring and will be set at approximately 100, 200, & 300 yards. Shooters will take 6 shots, must call each shot, and at least one shot must be taken at each distance. Shooters may fire standing, sitting, prone, with various pods/shooting sticks, freehand, etc. or also from a clear bench with only elbows touching bench. (No equipment on bench.) Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 6 minutes. Shooting order will be determined by draw. There may be second and third place winners.

2:30 PM Bowling Pin Shoot

Pairs of competitors will shoot handguns from 25 ft at five bowling pins on a 4x8 ft table. For large caliber guns Pins are set 6" from the front of the table, 18" apart. Two shooters compete in a match and the first to get all 5 pins off of his or her table wins that match. For .22 rim fire participants, pins are set 6" from the back of the table. For those shooting .38 specials/9mms, pins are set in the middle of the table. Shooters are allowed 18 shots, but must load 6 at a time during the 18-shot string. The competition is a double elimination format. Must be 15 or under to use .22 but can choose other if desired.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wish I could join you. See those crags behind WCCs barn? I'll be eyeballing those that weekend. First trip West since '75. Y'all have fun!

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.