Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Lockhart. Have a safe and fun trip.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, at least I don't need to develop any .458 loads... smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is anyone coming through ABQ with a vehicle large enough to haul the "bowling pin tables" - broken down. of course ?
Due to recent developments, I'm not sure "The Warden" and I will make it - and it would save others some work on building more.
We could get them to ABQ fairly easily - for pick-up.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, if ABQ is Albuquerque, NM, I should be coming thru Monday 24, around 2-3 pm. I'll be pulling a trailer with the 4-wheeler, so it shouldn't be a problem to pick up the broken down tables.

That's my plans, unless something comes up that changes them.

Randy

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy, coming down I-40, you might not be too far from where Mark lives. I have not been there but remember the turnoff for Las Vegas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, Mark is on the ball with this. Thanks, Mark. But, he lives at minimum an hour north of I40 - and sure will get them down to ABQ as he says. Thanks, Randy, for being willing to do the pickup.

Miles - when will you get into camp?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Everyone - that posting by Mark, Randy and Miles is a reminder that we are about one month from the event. We will need a participant count final by a week before we start to be prepared with food, minimum shelter, sufficient dip tanks, Febreeze, etc..

When you are sure you are coming, please CHIME IN with a number in your party and one of us will keep a count. If you think to use "CHIME IN" in that post, us old dudes are more likely to notice.

Thanks.

P.S. We are going to need some rain for a while - starting fairly soon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If Randy picks up the tables from Mark I can bring cordless implements and screws to assemble them as I did last year.

Will be there early in the week, don't know how long I can stay...that work stuff ya know....

Any fish at Quemado lake? water level etc?

Plan on bringing the 'yak and fishing my way there and home again.

[Linked Image]

^^^ ol' fardt on funny boat <grin>

Last edited by bcolorado; 06/28/17.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brian, the lake was up a bit and better in early spring. I have been way busy and have not been over there since mid-March. The bite can be good in summer, but the rainbows are poor to eat when the water is warm/mucky. Weather has been very warm to hot here - more than usual for June - and zero recent runoff. The Muskies over 40" are there for the taking - but can't speak for taste at this time of year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be coming, the wife is anchored at work unfortunately...

If need by, I can swing thru ABQ with my trailer, and pick up the tables if any other option falls thru...

Will have plenty of room in it for that sort of stuff...

just let me know...

oh, and I am planning on coming in early also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, John. Good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, can't say for sure when I will get there, right now, but early is always good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As many of you know, Dennis will not be at Armijo Springs this year, and he will be missed, because he kinda took the lead in the shooting events. He brought targets, steels, and just generally helped set-up and run the shooting events.

So, in his absence, I will be responsible for the Steel Shoot. I just hope I dont mess things up too bad.

I received a pm this morning, asking about the rules for the Steel Shoot, particularly about what equipment may or may not be used. Here is what we came up with and why we decided to do it this way.

The rules Paul (CCCC) posted are correct, but a question has been asked about using tripods.

The why- We have 3 bench shooting contest scheduled for this event... .22 LR long range, Prairie Dog Shoot, and the 3 Shot. The Steel Shoot is more about shooting from hunting positions. To keep this contest from being another bench shooting event, without the bench, certain shooting aids will not be permitted. For example, lots of people shoot prone off a bag, that's ok, but no rear rest for the stock. Another, lots of people shoot from a chair, with shooting sticks, that's ok.

The what- Tripods come in many configurations. So to answer the question about tripods, here are examples of what will be ok and what wont.

These are ok...

A bag of some sort for a front rest... front rest only, no rear bag for the stock. Remember also, if using bench, elbows only touching bench and no other equipment on the bench.

[Linked Image]

A tripod to support the gun... again front rest only.

[Linked Image]

These rest will not be ok...

This was designed to be a bench shooting aid

[Linked Image]

This tripod has a front rest and a rest for the stock

[Linked Image]

If anyone has anymore questions, post it here or send me a pm. I'll get an answer to you just as quick as I can.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Randy. This is nothing new - as D and I have set up and run the various shoots over the years, we always had some normal bench resting shoots. In all contests that were not done with common bench set ups, the rules have never allowed both front and rear rest.

Let's have fun.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good afternoon.

I plan on being the Armijo Springs no later than Tuesday afternoon. If I get packed quick enough, maybe Monday evening.

I spoke to Dennis a few days ago. I have access to his target stands and frames. I'll bring them along. I can also bring my yellow pipe gong if we need it. Just let me know. Paul, I know that Dennis gave you a bunch of targets that I had. Do I need to print more of them ? What else is needed ? We we have enough 1" & 4" orange stickers ?

As for meals prior to KRP arriving. Do any of you want to try to plan a group type of thing? Eat on your own? Or just play it by ear ?

Paul, has the forest service closed the are to open fires ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff - if it is OK with D for you to bring his heavy shooting bench with the pipe screw legs, that would be a big help. Please DO NOT ask D about bringing his good spotting scope. We need to get a good one here from within the rest of our gang.

D did have some printed targets up here, but am thinking those were used later. I will look - don't think I have those.

Any steel/gong stuff you can bring without hassle to yourself may prove helpful.

Randy generously indicated that he will be bringing some 1', 2" and 3" target dots. If you have some 4", they might get used by us half-blind guys. I need some 1/2" spots to make targets for the PD shoot, but should be able to make those.

Don't know what to say about casual camp meals before Kent arrives - maybe just bring plenty of jerky, sardines, and canned beans. And plan to sleep outdoors.

I was worried about any July event simply because of dry forest, but have wished not to spread any worry - so stayed silent while hoping the summer afternoon/evening thunderstorms would start soon. They have not - and no density building so far.

The FS has not yet posted any fire danger or limited closure signs near here - but without some moisture soon they are likely to implement such. The first step would be "no campfires except in FS cook grill sets" and "no fireworks" - and progress from there. A gathering without a nice big campfire is a downer. If the situation becomes really bad, they could prohibit camping (except in a place like the parking lot at the lake - would not wish to do that again because we had to travel some distance for shooting). Not likely to get to that level.

We need some moisture flowing up from the G of CA - the stuff that gets the AZ monsoon going. Will one of you AZ guys hurry down there, do some crazy dance, and get it started? Will keep all posted on the FS situation.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have the internet, working here on the ranch again, after almost a month of interrupted service, I plan on coming to the gathering again this year, please advise me if there's any thing we need I can bring. don't have any rain, if I did I would leave some here and bring the rest there. Rio7

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hi Blue - FANTASTIC that you're gonna be with the gang again. The "what we need" list will continue to develop on this thread during the next three weeks - so it'll get done.

To all, for starters:
I will bring a huge tarp for the main gather shade/rain shelter and think I have sufficient rope. Also will bring at least one rifle stand and a couple of big target frames. And a ladder - in case we need to get someone out of (or up into) a tree again.

We now have a nice big dedicated flag - Darby will bring that.

Need a few folding tables for food and general service - who can?

Bring 'yer own chairs/stools. And beverages (some to share?). And snacks. And maybe a roll of TP.

We sure could use one of those pop-up sun shelters for the shooting contest firing spot. The sun usually becomes intense after a while, and a shade would help the guy running the shoot - as well as the shooter. Anyone?

More later.

P.S. - enjoyed a brief afternoon rain shower today. Not a bunch of moisture, but a start for the season. Keep dancin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent (KRP), I'm guessing that you will be there and as usual taking charge of the most important event to take place at Armijo Springs... Feeding us bums! laugh

Count me in for 6 doz. eggs to be used whenever you say. I'll also bring my stove and fuel. Anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have not seen KRP online since the passing of Bigbuck215. I may need to give him a call on the ding-a-ling...

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.