Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The annual Campfire gathering at Armijo Springs Campground in the Apache National Forest of New Mexico is scheduled for the weekend of July 28 through 30, 2017. Participants should plan to arrive as early and stay on as long as you would like, and the planned opening event will be the evening meal at about 7PM on Friday, July 28. Breakfast on Saturday AM, the evening dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday also are prepared meals. Be sure to bring your own in-between snacks and plenty of drinks (some to share?) for the weekend.

The surroundings are excellent and level camping spaces are ample. Running water is not available. There is a forest service toilet at the campground. Assistance and items needed will be identified as this thread progresses - so please stay tuned.

Planned shooting events will take place on Saturday but there will be plenty of space and time for safe shooting throughout the weekend. Complete descriptions of shooting events will be posted later in this thread and will include shoots for rimfire and centerfire rifles of different sorts at ranges from 35 to 300 yards, and probably some handgun events as well.

From the north, drive US 60 to Quemado, NM and then drive about 18 miles south on NM Route 32. After marker 24 and at the sign for Armijo Springs, turn left/east on A021 driving about 4 miles until the “Y” and turn right to the campground.

From the south, drive NM Route 12 to Apache Creek and then drive NM 32 northbound past marker 23 then see the sign for Armijo Springs. Turn right/east onto A021 and follow same info as above.

If you have questions, please chime in. We will be aiming to have a final head count by a week or more before the gathering..

MR. BIN - IT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL IF THIS POST IS MADE A STICKY. THANKS.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm planning on being there,if work allows it this time.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I plan on making it and so does Alan. Not sure if Mike can make it or not.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well if the Creeks don't rise....

you guys will probably be stuck with me once again...

don't know if the Wife can get off of work tho, as they are doing
a hospital wide software conversion, that hasn't been going smoothly
and this is the Hospital's 3rd try....

Will be good to see you bums once again...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be there. Probably on the Tuesday before.

Looking forward to seeing all y'all once again and renewing are friendships.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not going to make it this year. My son flies back from Maryland on July 29th and I've got to pick him up in Denver.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've requested the weekend off. I'm planning on going even if I travel solo.

Judy

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Erik - can you get him to fly into Alb on the 28th? If so, both of you could do the entire gathering. You will be missed if you don't make it here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately, he's traveling with a group, so we don't get to pick airports and dates. There's an outside chance if my wife's schedule works out.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to try to make it, have some more help this year, so hopefully I can get loose.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is +++ - will be good to have you in the gang again.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Owl
I'll be there. Probably on the Tuesday before.

Looking forward to seeing all y'all once again and renewing are OUR friendships.

Jeff

Duh....

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As usual, I plan to be there. Most likely early. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too, though possibly only for a day or two, if I do not figure out how safely to board my dogs.

I might even be able to bring some of my family if I am able to work around their own travel plans!

You might like to see a few of my oddball guns, too. Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anjin - maybe bring the dogs? They probably would have some canine company.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My attendance, this year, is still in question. If I can find someone to stay with, or at lest periodically check in on Steph, I may be able to swing it. But she's really to the point where she shouldn't be alone for stretches over 10-12 hours.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bob - we sure hope you can be in our midst. Is there a way that any among us can help?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Not really Paul! Thanks! Good days any not so good. Appreciate it!!!

Founder

WS

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We will try - but, our scheduling ahead is in question, at this point. (Even more than normal)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Understandable Mark,you have bigger concerns to take care of.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Finally don't have the work commitment but the one who must be obeyed says we have to have the kids in camp that Sunday morning so that we can have no kids the following week. Hope to make one of these soon!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sneak away from "the one who must be obeyed" and come on down.

We'll make up a story that you were kidnapped by aliens. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I need to sort things in honor if Ivan...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe we need to dedicate this years gathering in honor of Ivan

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Owl
Maybe we need to dedicate this years gathering in honor of Ivan

Precisely.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Owl that is a Great idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
Anjin - maybe bring the dogs? They probably would have some canine company.

Very nice thought, but there are four dogs here, all Jack Russell Terriers, and not so well socialized with other dogs. I can leave them alone only for a day. I think, but I am trying to get family to come, so the need is to board them locally for any longer than that.

Family is all visiting relatives in Japan (at long last) but I booked them all to return on July 25, so they can experience the "real outdoors" at Armijo Springs, Malpais, Pie Town, etc.

Stupid dogs found a rattler in the fenced backyard today so I had to dispatch it. They are little hunters and would not leave it alone. From the oval markings on the back it appears to be another Mojave Green.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well Anjin - FOUR Jack Russels in camp - and being not well socialized - might be a challenge in more ways than one. "Smoke", the wonderful lab that comes with RIO7 is highly trained and seems to handle almost anything calmly. That sweet Golden that sometimes comes with Roninphx is also pretty settled. But, "Ruby" the devilish Blue Lacey might be another story - apparently she is being tough on critters up in AK. Hope you succeed with the boarding and are able to get to the event.

Mohave Greens eh? What is your elevation/vegetation there?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure wish I could make it to one of these. Maybe next year I can hit this or the pig hunt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several pounds of ground wild boar (from the Campfire Hog Hunt) I can bring. It's not seasoned for sausage yet but either I can season it, or someone else can take a stab at it.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Patrick. Very nice. Would you PM krp and discuss fitting that into his meal deal? Sure glad that you are coming.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes i would also like to make thi sEvent and or the Hog Hunt sometime!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As I love to see old friends as always, I am disappointed a few "new guys" like GopherGunner or Brent (Aka Yetti)
can't make it....

I can guarantee the "usual crowd"..that both of these gentlemen would make a wonderful addition to the Family
we've become at Quemado every year...

Quite a few other campfire members I've had the pleasure to meet, that I wish could make it down this year and
every year.

Despite all the campfire slander and argument constantly, I've sure met a fine bunch of folks in my travels and
my trips to Roosevelt Lake and Quemado each year.

Sure wish Brent could make it and also bring his family, wonderful folks... I think his older son Gunner would be
quite the hit with the rest of the campfire folks to boot. He is a future candidate for being a campfire member himself.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice thoughts, John. Thanks.

P.S. Not Q - the event is at Armijo Springs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This far away Paul, I just call it Quemado....

I think it has to do with Ken Howell living there in Quemado...and respecting Ol Ken...

Also when someone in AlbyQue pointed out to me it meant Burnt in Spanish...

Of course I can refer to it as ArmyJo Springs if you'd prefer...

Being an out of towner, I'm not all hip on that Mexican pronunciation of New Mexico Stuff...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys!

I am hoping to be able to come to the gathering this year, though not 100% sure yet.

Out of curiosity [and since I missed the last two years], what yardages are the various shooting events? Would like to get stuff sighted in at appropriate distances so it doesn't delay anything.

All the best to the guys who make this a real bright spot in the year!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
John, it's all good. Due to past factors not worth mentioning and some "location" confusion at times, in recent years we have tried to be rather precise about the actual site at Armijo Springs. Glad you are coming again.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by labarr
Hi Guys! I am hoping to be able to come to the gathering this year, though not 100% sure yet. Out of curiosity [and since I missed the last two years], what yardages are the various shooting events? Would like to get stuff sighted in at appropriate distances so it doesn't delay anything. All the best to the guys who make this a real bright spot in the year!

Hi Leonard - excellent if you can join in again. We've missed you and bro. Looks like the usual shoot descriptions/distances will be posted on this thread in a day or so..

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Normally, dennisinaz and I have been setting up and running the shooting contests. He's going to be absent this summer, and I asked some guys from the core group to share the load. They jumped right in with all feet and are doing a great job. Thanks to Ben, Miles, Randy, Darby and Jeff, we will get everything set up and the show will run in style. Although we have quite a few serious and excellent shooters who compete strongly, the competition is very friendly and the fun camaraderie abundant. If you've never been to this shindig, might want to give the idea some extra effort. Here are descriptions/specs the shoots for this summer at Armijo Springs.

FRIDAY 7/28
5:00 pm – Turkey Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) and may fire standing, sitting, prone, with various pods/shooting sticks, freehand, etc. or also from a clear bench with only elbows touching bench. (No equipment on bench.) Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

6:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot
Shooters may use any .22 rim fire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at a suitable target spot at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the target spot scores highest. Group size measured OS to OS of spread. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

SATURDAY 7/29
8:00 am - Prairie Dog Single Shot

Shooters may use any sporting firearm (not a dedicated target/competition type rifle), any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

10:00 am – Center Fire Tight Group Shoot
Shooters may use any sporting center fire firearm (not a dedicated target/competition type rifle), any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire three shots at a suitable target spot 100 yards distant. The smallest three-shot group with at least one shot in the spot is the winner. Group size measured OS to OS of spread. If competing, a shooter may not use the same rifle as another person. There may be second and third place winners.

1:00 PM Steel Shoot

Steels will be painted for ease of scoring and will be set at approximately 100, 200, & 300 yards. Shooters will take 6 shots, must call each shot, and at least one shot must be taken at each distance. Shooters may fire standing, sitting, prone, with various pods/shooting sticks, freehand, etc. or also from a clear bench with only elbows touching bench. (No equipment on bench.) Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 6 minutes. Shooting order will be determined by draw. There may be second and third place winners.

2:30 PM Bowling Pin Shoot

Pairs of competitors will shoot handguns from 25 ft at five bowling pins on a 4x8 ft table. For large caliber guns Pins are set 6" from the front of the table, 18" apart. Two shooters compete in a match and the first to get all 5 pins off of his or her table wins that match. For .22 rim fire participants, pins are set 6" from the back of the table. For those shooting .38 specials/9mms, pins are set in the middle of the table. Shooters are allowed 18 shots, but must load 6 at a time during the 18-shot string. The competition is a double elimination format. Must be 15 or under to use .22 but can choose other if desired.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wish I could join you. See those crags behind WCCs barn? I'll be eyeballing those that weekend. First trip West since '75. Y'all have fun!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Lockhart. Have a safe and fun trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, at least I don't need to develop any .458 loads... smirk

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is anyone coming through ABQ with a vehicle large enough to haul the "bowling pin tables" - broken down. of course ?
Due to recent developments, I'm not sure "The Warden" and I will make it - and it would save others some work on building more.
We could get them to ABQ fairly easily - for pick-up.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, if ABQ is Albuquerque, NM, I should be coming thru Monday 24, around 2-3 pm. I'll be pulling a trailer with the 4-wheeler, so it shouldn't be a problem to pick up the broken down tables.

That's my plans, unless something comes up that changes them.

Randy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Randy, coming down I-40, you might not be too far from where Mark lives. I have not been there but remember the turnoff for Las Vegas. miles

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, Mark is on the ball with this. Thanks, Mark. But, he lives at minimum an hour north of I40 - and sure will get them down to ABQ as he says. Thanks, Randy, for being willing to do the pickup.

Miles - when will you get into camp?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Everyone - that posting by Mark, Randy and Miles is a reminder that we are about one month from the event. We will need a participant count final by a week before we start to be prepared with food, minimum shelter, sufficient dip tanks, Febreeze, etc..

When you are sure you are coming, please CHIME IN with a number in your party and one of us will keep a count. If you think to use "CHIME IN" in that post, us old dudes are more likely to notice.

Thanks.

P.S. We are going to need some rain for a while - starting fairly soon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If Randy picks up the tables from Mark I can bring cordless implements and screws to assemble them as I did last year.

Will be there early in the week, don't know how long I can stay...that work stuff ya know....

Any fish at Quemado lake? water level etc?

Plan on bringing the 'yak and fishing my way there and home again.

[Linked Image]

^^^ ol' fardt on funny boat <grin>

Last edited by bcolorado; 06/28/17.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brian, the lake was up a bit and better in early spring. I have been way busy and have not been over there since mid-March. The bite can be good in summer, but the rainbows are poor to eat when the water is warm/mucky. Weather has been very warm to hot here - more than usual for June - and zero recent runoff. The Muskies over 40" are there for the taking - but can't speak for taste at this time of year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be coming, the wife is anchored at work unfortunately...

If need by, I can swing thru ABQ with my trailer, and pick up the tables if any other option falls thru...

Will have plenty of room in it for that sort of stuff...

just let me know...

oh, and I am planning on coming in early also...

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, John. Good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul, can't say for sure when I will get there, right now, but early is always good. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As many of you know, Dennis will not be at Armijo Springs this year, and he will be missed, because he kinda took the lead in the shooting events. He brought targets, steels, and just generally helped set-up and run the shooting events.

So, in his absence, I will be responsible for the Steel Shoot. I just hope I dont mess things up too bad.

I received a pm this morning, asking about the rules for the Steel Shoot, particularly about what equipment may or may not be used. Here is what we came up with and why we decided to do it this way.

The rules Paul (CCCC) posted are correct, but a question has been asked about using tripods.

The why- We have 3 bench shooting contest scheduled for this event... .22 LR long range, Prairie Dog Shoot, and the 3 Shot. The Steel Shoot is more about shooting from hunting positions. To keep this contest from being another bench shooting event, without the bench, certain shooting aids will not be permitted. For example, lots of people shoot prone off a bag, that's ok, but no rear rest for the stock. Another, lots of people shoot from a chair, with shooting sticks, that's ok.

The what- Tripods come in many configurations. So to answer the question about tripods, here are examples of what will be ok and what wont.

These are ok...

A bag of some sort for a front rest... front rest only, no rear bag for the stock. Remember also, if using bench, elbows only touching bench and no other equipment on the bench.

[Linked Image]

A tripod to support the gun... again front rest only.

[Linked Image]

These rest will not be ok...

This was designed to be a bench shooting aid

[Linked Image]

This tripod has a front rest and a rest for the stock

[Linked Image]

If anyone has anymore questions, post it here or send me a pm. I'll get an answer to you just as quick as I can.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Randy. This is nothing new - as D and I have set up and run the various shoots over the years, we always had some normal bench resting shoots. In all contests that were not done with common bench set ups, the rules have never allowed both front and rear rest.

Let's have fun.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good afternoon.

I plan on being the Armijo Springs no later than Tuesday afternoon. If I get packed quick enough, maybe Monday evening.

I spoke to Dennis a few days ago. I have access to his target stands and frames. I'll bring them along. I can also bring my yellow pipe gong if we need it. Just let me know. Paul, I know that Dennis gave you a bunch of targets that I had. Do I need to print more of them ? What else is needed ? We we have enough 1" & 4" orange stickers ?

As for meals prior to KRP arriving. Do any of you want to try to plan a group type of thing? Eat on your own? Or just play it by ear ?

Paul, has the forest service closed the are to open fires ?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff - if it is OK with D for you to bring his heavy shooting bench with the pipe screw legs, that would be a big help. Please DO NOT ask D about bringing his good spotting scope. We need to get a good one here from within the rest of our gang.

D did have some printed targets up here, but am thinking those were used later. I will look - don't think I have those.

Any steel/gong stuff you can bring without hassle to yourself may prove helpful.

Randy generously indicated that he will be bringing some 1', 2" and 3" target dots. If you have some 4", they might get used by us half-blind guys. I need some 1/2" spots to make targets for the PD shoot, but should be able to make those.

Don't know what to say about casual camp meals before Kent arrives - maybe just bring plenty of jerky, sardines, and canned beans. And plan to sleep outdoors.

I was worried about any July event simply because of dry forest, but have wished not to spread any worry - so stayed silent while hoping the summer afternoon/evening thunderstorms would start soon. They have not - and no density building so far.

The FS has not yet posted any fire danger or limited closure signs near here - but without some moisture soon they are likely to implement such. The first step would be "no campfires except in FS cook grill sets" and "no fireworks" - and progress from there. A gathering without a nice big campfire is a downer. If the situation becomes really bad, they could prohibit camping (except in a place like the parking lot at the lake - would not wish to do that again because we had to travel some distance for shooting). Not likely to get to that level.

We need some moisture flowing up from the G of CA - the stuff that gets the AZ monsoon going. Will one of you AZ guys hurry down there, do some crazy dance, and get it started? Will keep all posted on the FS situation.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have the internet, working here on the ranch again, after almost a month of interrupted service, I plan on coming to the gathering again this year, please advise me if there's any thing we need I can bring. don't have any rain, if I did I would leave some here and bring the rest there. Rio7

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hi Blue - FANTASTIC that you're gonna be with the gang again. The "what we need" list will continue to develop on this thread during the next three weeks - so it'll get done.

To all, for starters:
I will bring a huge tarp for the main gather shade/rain shelter and think I have sufficient rope. Also will bring at least one rifle stand and a couple of big target frames. And a ladder - in case we need to get someone out of (or up into) a tree again.

We now have a nice big dedicated flag - Darby will bring that.

Need a few folding tables for food and general service - who can?

Bring 'yer own chairs/stools. And beverages (some to share?). And snacks. And maybe a roll of TP.

We sure could use one of those pop-up sun shelters for the shooting contest firing spot. The sun usually becomes intense after a while, and a shade would help the guy running the shoot - as well as the shooter. Anyone?

More later.

P.S. - enjoyed a brief afternoon rain shower today. Not a bunch of moisture, but a start for the season. Keep dancin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent (KRP), I'm guessing that you will be there and as usual taking charge of the most important event to take place at Armijo Springs... Feeding us bums! laugh

Count me in for 6 doz. eggs to be used whenever you say. I'll also bring my stove and fuel. Anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have not seen KRP online since the passing of Bigbuck215. I may need to give him a call on the ding-a-ling...

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blue, this is great news. Looking forward to seeing you again this year. Are you going to be pulling your little converted cargo trailer again ?

And once again... Cannot thank you enough for the brass that you brought last year. Thank you !

Jeff

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ok, I'll come back for this thread only.

Food wise this week I've caught a bunch of crappie so we will have friday fish fry as usual.

[Linked Image]

Tentative menu is fish and pork + fixins for friday night

Big breakfast of meat, eggs, B&G for saturday morning

Lunch is hotdogs and DARBY's chili

Saturday night is AZ/MEX dutchoven enchiladas, tacos, rice&beans

Sunday morning is breakfast burritos and french toast.

I'll be up Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Anyone wanting to bring something post it here... i.e. Randy's eggs and I'll put it on my list. Otherwise I will buy it and bring it. Hotdogs, buns, coleslaw, eggs, breakfast meat, potatoes ect.

I'll have all the main dishes and condiments, seasonings.

Thanks,

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Owl
Have not seen KRP online since the passing of Bigbuck215. I may need to give him a call on the ding-a-ling...

I did come to pay my respects to Sandy, I was able to say goodbye to Ivan through facebook as he was both my wife and my friend there, Cheryl was also able to share some with Sandy as her and Ivan talked often during his trips down to Tonto, they stayed up late around the fire discussing life and losses.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fellows, this picture is proof that Mrs. Cheryl is a better fisherman than Kent! laugh

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like "The Warden" will have a chemo session the 26th - so I doubt seriously we will make it.
As it seems we will be visiting Rio Rancho a LOT in the next few months, I can easily get the tables to my daughter's (she lives in Rio Rancho).
I should be taking Joy to the hospital tomorrow - and picking her back up around Sunday (observation period)
I'll see what arrangements Janet (our daughter) can make to transfer the tables. We WILL work it out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Fellows, this picture is proof that Mrs. Cheryl is a better fisherman than Kent! laugh

[Linked Image]

That's not even in question... she's kills me at fishing.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Looks like "The Warden" will have a chemo session the 26th - so I doubt seriously we will make it.
As it seems we will be visiting Rio Rancho a LOT in the next few months, I can easily get the tables to my daughter's (she lives in Rio Rancho).
I should be taking Joy to the hospital tomorrow - and picking her back up around Sunday (observation period)
I'll see what arrangements Janet (our daughter) can make to transfer the tables. We WILL work it out.

Mark I wish both of you my best and sending prayers..

Kent

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mark, I am sorry to hear the news about Joy's. illness. you are in my prayers.

Jeff, yes I an going to pull my white trailer again thus year, it's very handy to haul my stuff , and makes a passable camper, sense I only do this camping thing once a year anymore I don't need much. and I gave my Adrenalin, camper to my son, not looking forward to the long drive, but this year I am going to take 2 1/2 days instead of 1 1/2 days to make the trip there. looking forward to seeing everyone again this year.

Paul,I will check in once in awhile, let me know if I can help in any way. Rio7

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the prayers, y'all - we'll miss the camaraderie!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, I sure hate to hear about Mrs. Joy's illness. We'll miss yall this year and you know you're in our prayers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark, I sure hate to hear about Mrs. Joy's illness. We'll miss yall this year and you know you're in our prayers.

You speak for all of us!

Norm

Norman Solberg
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, prayers in behalf of Joy, her caretakers, you and your family.

Kent, Paul, I have a couple of 6' tables I can bring.

Blue, it is a LONG trip. Take your time and keep safe.

I'm getting excited to see everyone and to re-kindle our friendships.

Jeff

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mark, we are going to miss Joy and you a bunch - important pieces missing. Please give her our best and listen for the prayers.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Mark and Joy, we will miss you both.

Kent, here are the plans right now:
Myself, Brenna, Shari, AJ the toddler.
Have invited family that enjoys shooting. Waiting to hear if they can come or not.

Now, speaking of sweet tooths out there, do you want desserts? Choices are fruit enchiladas, cheesecake sopapillas, jello cake, or I can look for recipes for something else.

Judy

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bright sun and hot here in the forest - clouds late in each day - but nothing more than a sprinkle or two. Keep dancing - get those heels higher.

Ron, Ben, Mark Lee - any moisture brewing up over your way(s)?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing here. All of our monsoonal flow humidity has gone way again, thanks to this damned high pressure system that is camped over western New Mexico and eastern Arizona. Looks like the earliest chances for precipitation will be the last half of next week. You may be far enough north, though, to get a shower or two early in the week.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK - finally got some low clouds/toonder followed by small rain last evening - a start. Keep it coming.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Jeff any tables are appreciated.

Judy look forward to seeing you all again and everyone enjoys your desserts bring what you want.

I check this thread and then look at PMs about once a week, if anyone needs to get in contact between my email is kentpowellphotmail.com.

A week out we need an approximate head count.

Thanks, Kent

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bit better rain off and on for an hour or so late today. Improving.

While 'yer all on here, anyone have a box or two of 140gr. Sierra .264 HPBT Match (#1740) you wish to trade/sell? and also 142gr. Nosler Accubond .264 Bonded Sptizer BT (#58922 LR)?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If needed, I could send my break-down shooting bench (usable by righty's) smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well Miles, your hip and back must be feeling better 'cause we know you must be doing some of those fancy Arkansas Cherokee rain dances. We've had just a tad over 1" of rain here since Sunday. Looks like some more coming this week. If the pattern continues, we should be in good shape for the forest and campfire time.

Mark, thanks for offering the bench. Have not yet heard from OWL to know if he can bring Dennis' heavy bench, so let's see what will happen there. We don't want to hand you any additional tasks/concerns. If we need it, Maybe it could be in the same transfer as the BP shoot tables.

All: I did manage to trade with someone on the "Fire to get one box of the Sierra 140g in .264, so that is relieved. Still looking for those seemingly scarce 142g. Accubonds.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That was EXACTLY the thought, Paul.
I called Jon this morning, but didn't get through - hoping to hear from him this evening, as I MAY get to go retrieve "The Warden" tomorrow. Hoping smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mark....

give our best to JOY.. tell her she has her own cheering section going on right now...

Paul,

if you are short shooting tables, I have that one I brought a few years ago...

its a pretty decent one, hand made by a departed Doctor Friend of mine whose other
hobby besides shooting was wood working...

and once again, if Tables are needed, I can round up some here also..

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Miles, your hip and back must be feeling better 'cause we know you must be doing some of those fancy Arkansas Cherokee rain dances. We've had just a tad over 1" of rain here since Sunday. Looks like some more coming this week. If the pattern continues, we should be in good shape for the forest and campfire time.

Mark, thanks for offering the bench. Have not yet heard from OWL to know if he can bring Dennis' heavy bench, so let's see what will happen there. We don't want to hand you any additional tasks/concerns. If we need it, Maybe it could be in the same transfer as the BP shoot tables.

All: I did manage to trade with someone on the "Fire to get one box of the Sierra 140g in .264, so that is relieved. Still looking for those seemingly scarce 142g. Accubonds.

I should have access to Dennis' shooting table, target stands, etc We spoke about this before he left Sunny AZ for the land of Fur, Fish, and Fun.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mark - looks like we will have enough shooting bench stuff without your going to the extra work to send yours. Thanks for being so helpful. Sure hope that you catch a break and that Joy and you can get to the event.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, when you start the final head count... Alan Upshaw and Randy Upshaw from the Bayou State!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Paul, when you start the final head count... Alan Upshaw and Randy Upshaw from the Bayou State!

Got it, bud.
Any others want to confirm now? Please give number/name(s) if more than you.

I've started trying to get a sum and somewhere around 7/21 will try to post the list for final check.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire verified... sadly the wife can't make it this year...

Courtesy of Kronos...

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Count me in... Again.

Looking forward to seeing all of you rascals.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have several pounds of ground wild boar (from the Campfire Hog Hunt) I can bring. It's not seasoned for sausage yet but either I can season it, or someone else can take a stab at it.

I have some pre-made sausage seasoning I could bring- Just let me know.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to Darby, I will have a box of those .264 Accubonds. Good man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to be clear, we still need the tables for the bowling pin shoot that Mark has been keeping.

Ben

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Just to be clear, we still need the tables for the bowling pin shoot that Mark has been keeping.

Thanks, Ben. Jon - are you connected with Mark on this for you to pick up the tables from him in Alb. (or, maybe in Rio Rancho) and get them to camp? If not and that won't work out for you, please advise soon so that we can make alternate plans. Randy has offered to pick them up as he comes through Alb if need be. Please chime in.

All: Some strong rain during the night and a bit more today off and on - if this pattern continues the forest will stay open and conditions should be nice in camp.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul, I am sorting my gear now. Will start putting it in the truck soon. Takes me a while. miles

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I haven't been able to connect with Jon, but the table parts are in storage @ Bernalillo - as of last week.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just got off the phone with Jon - the tables will go down with him. (Some assembly required smile )

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got off the phone with Jon - the tables will go down with him. (Some assembly required smile )

Mark, thanks for your help. How is Mrs Joy, today?

You know, tracking down one of us older gentlemen isn't too hard... just call the house and if we aren't there, we will be, shortly. But tracking down a young fellow... now that's a different story all together. Young, rambunctious, full of vigor, on the go all the time... course a new little one will "clip the wings" so to speak. grin (just picking Jon)

Jon, thanks for your help, too. Look forward to seeing you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter (Julia) and I will try to be there again this year; however, her mother is giving me hell about it. We will make every attempt to be there. I meant to grab my Dutch Oven while we were in Dallas a few weeks ago, but I forgot.

Are there any non-essential items we can bring for everyone, provided we make it out this year?

Julia was asking if Cadence will be there again this year?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We'll be watching for you HN - I don't know if Cadence will be present. If not, I will miss her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regretfully the kids and I will not be able to make it. I've had some things come up in the last couple of weeks that need my time and money.
Sorry guys I will miss being with you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hate to hear that Tom. miles

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dang Tom ya will be missed

take care of what needs taken care of.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tom - sorry to learn this - sure was counting on seeing you all. Knowing that you are a first-things-first family guy, I understand. LMK if you need anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know if any youngsters will be in attendance? My daughter is 7 & is hoping for a playmate.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Missed your post, Randy - Joy has OK days, and better days, at this point. Trips back and forth are eating our time up.
Today we took her to a physical therapist, and now she seems to be breathing much better - therefore is feeling better than since the chemo started.
She says she may throw my butt out to the gathering - as she needs the rest, peace, and quiet smile
IDK - we'll see what happens, and how she's doing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
So for us, it is Judy, Brenna, and Brenna's friend Shari. If Shari's plans fall through, then we will also have a 2 year old little girl with us.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
High Noon - if Jon is not able to come, for sure Cadence will not attend. ThomasMagnum normally brings his lovely little daughter, but Tom/family will not attend this year. Looks like there will be a teen-age girl or two - simply can't predict about pre-teen - don't know of any other little girls right now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCCC: thank you. if anyone hears otherwise, please let me know.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Missed your post, Randy - Joy has OK days, and better days, at this point. Trips back and forth are eating our time up.
Today we took her to a physical therapist, and now she seems to be breathing much better - therefore is feeling better than since the chemo started.
She says she may throw my butt out to the gathering - as she needs the rest, peace, and quiet smile
IDK - we'll see what happens, and how she's doing.

Mark, dont worry about not seeing the post. I know you got a full plate and stay busy. Tell Mrs Joy 'howdy' and yall are in our prayers.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gonna miss y'all!

Please travel safe and have a great time!!!!

Here's looking forward to next year!

Bob

Founder

WS

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Randy - she said "All right - and thank you!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mark, the "Warden" and you have been in thoughts and prayers through this time in your lives.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey "Kay - hey "Woodie" - you are the one that's gonna be missed big time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High Noon - if Jon is not able to come, for sure Cadence will not attend. ThomasMagnum normally brings his lovely little daughter, but Tom/family will not attend this year. Looks like there will be a teen-age girl or two - simply can't predict about pre-teen - don't know of any other little girls right now.

Current plans are to bring my daughter Mary, who is eight but growing like a weed.

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gonna miss y'all!

Please travel safe and have a great time!!!!

Here's looking forward to next year!

Bob

Gonna miss you, the music, the tall tales and the 95s!

Norman Solberg
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought. It is so-called monsoon season now in New Mexico and Arizona so take the necessary precautions.

It may not rain much where you are, but in the mountains, water accumulates rapidly and can come quickly from far away. YouTube and news media are already showing flash floods around Albuquerque and we already have a body count in other areas.

Over here on the east side of the Sandia Mountains, east of Albuquerque (known as the East Mountains), we have be getting thunderstorms and 30-60 minutes of heavy rain almost every day for a week. Even some good-sized hail.

I hope that Armijo Spring area is getting its share, but one does need to be careful. I was in the Belen area two days ago, which is flat and very close to the Rio Grande. The river was low but there were many signs saying watch for water in the roads, which apparently do flood. Cheers!

Last edited by Anjin; 07/20/17.

Norman Solberg
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anjin

Current plans are to bring my daughter Mary, who is eight but growing like a weed.

Norm

Great, I'll inform my daughter. We will definitely try to be there, unfortunately, her mother has a bad habit of ruining our plans at the last minute - even when I give her ample notice on the order of several months. C'est La Vie.

- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both my daughter and Robert, my 18-year-old son, relate well to people of all ages. Fortunately!

It has saved me much trouble. They can talk to anybody. Mary is currently fixated on horses.

Norm

Norman Solberg
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are always folks there that I really look forward to seeing...

and then sadly, there are folks you look forward to seeing that can't make it...

Some how we have a great time... but there are faces you still miss seeing..

Thomas and Bob, will certainly be missing you gentlemen...

and Thomas, will be missing your family as well....especially Stephen... real good kid..

and Bob, every year I still miss that Grandson of yours... he was 5 the last time he was there
that kid was the epitome of the 'typical Boy' saying...what a live wire for being only 5...

I am sure he has only 'aged' to be even more of it all....

Funny to think, this is the one weekend, I look forward to, the entire year...

Hopefully will get to see Mark and his family on the way home...

gotta call Scott F to see if he's coming... haven't heard from him or seen him on line for a while.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Soon will strike a sum:
Here is the list seen so far - please let us know if your name should be here (or not.) The + means you've indicated others coming with you (we have those numbers on a list)

milespatton
Mudhen +
Oldman03 +
Darby
Seafire
RIO 7
Owl
Talus +
krp +
bcolorado
Roninphx
High Noon +
elkhunternm and NMLady +
Anjin +
45 100 +
CCCC +

Last edited by CCCC; 07/21/17.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad to see Mark's name on there! ( 45_100)...its been a while...

Kent, you have a PM!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Ken (elkhunternm) said he was going to be there.

- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Going to try and be there.

We'll see what happens next week on the farm and weather.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Going to try and be there. We'll see what happens next week on the farm and weather.

Good news Ken - list edited accordingly.

Does anyone have some of those colored clay pigeons you'd like to get busted? If so, bring 'em. I have some frames that will hold those for fun .22LR, or handgun, or other shooting - maybe for kids - and folks who like to see stuff blow up.

Again - can anyone bring a pop-up shelter to shade the shooting bench area?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
UPDATED LIST

Soon will strike a sum:
Here is the list seen so far - please let us know if your name should be here (or not.) The + means you've indicated others coming with you (we have those numbers on a list)

milespatton
Mudhen +
Oldman03 +
Darby
Seafire
RIO 7
Owl
Talus +
krp +
texncal
labarr
bcolorado
Roninphx
High Noon +
elkhunternm and NMLady +
Anjin +
45 100 +
CCCC +

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Picked up a resettable "two two twanger" from my favorite consignment store for next week...<grin>

[[Linked Image]

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That thing has a "twanger" - a resettable "twanger"? And you are bringing it to the gathering?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going to try and be there. We'll see what happens next week on the farm and weather.

Good news Ken - list edited accordingly.

Does anyone have some of those colored clay pigeons you'd like to get busted? If so, bring 'em. I have some frames that will hold those for fun .22LR, or handgun, or other shooting - maybe for kids - and folks who like to see stuff blow up.

Again - can anyone bring a pop-up shelter to shade the shooting bench area?

Paul, are you talking about the biodegradable clay targets, usually shot with a shotgun after being thrown down range? If so, I got a case I can bring.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For packing a Vehicle, the Beverly Hillbillies had nothing on Brian!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Hey, I resemble that remark!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Randy: Paul, are you talking about the biodegradable clay targets, usually shot with a shotgun after being thrown down range? If so, I got a case I can bring.

Yes, Randy, those are the clays I meant - they are about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and usually are an orange color - the brighter the better, in this case.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paul,

I'm pulling things from all over the property here to pack up to head down there...

I have one of those pop up canopies we can use for the shooting area...

actually I have a couple, I'm going to be using one, and we can use the other for the shooting area.

Bringing my trailer and solo'ing it, I've more than got enough room...
( at least currently, you know how that goes, but if it get packs early it'll make the trip..)

its a 12 x 10 if that'll work.

I'm leaving here Sunday and it should 2 to 2.5 days down there...1300 miles...

Addendum:

Is there a need for a weed eater??

Last edited by Seafire; 07/21/17.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
John, thanks - a 12x10 pop up will be at least 12x10 better than what we were able to do last summer. We'll be looking for you by mid-week.
A need for a weed eater? Nah. C'mon now - Kent's cooking is better than that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The 12 x 10 Pop Up is packed then Paul...just threw it in the trailer...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy: Paul, are you talking about the biodegradable clay targets, usually shot with a shotgun after being thrown down range? If so, I got a case I can bring.

Yes, Randy, those are the clays I meant - they are about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and usually are an orange color - the brighter the better, in this case.

I'll chunk a case in the truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought. It is so-called monsoon season now in New Mexico and Arizona so take the necessary precautions.

It may not rain much where you are, but in the mountains, water accumulates rapidly and can come quickly from far away. YouTube and news media are already showing flash floods around Albuquerque and we already have a body count in other areas.

Over here on the east side of the Sandia Mountains, east of Albuquerque (known as the East Mountains), we have be getting thunderstorms and 30-60 minutes of heavy rain almost every day for a week. Even some good-sized hail.

I hope that Armijo Spring area is getting its share, but one does need to be careful. I was in the Belen area two days ago, which is flat and very close to the Rio Grande. The river was low but there were many signs saying watch for water in the roads, which apparently do flood. Cheers!

For what it's worth, The Weather Channel today predicts that Quemado with get substantial rain all week to the following Monday after the Gathering.

Norm

Norman Solberg
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Norm - weather wise, in summer Q can be almost like another region. Did you see any forecast detail on the higher elevation forest near Aqua Fria mtn.?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seafire - thanks for bringing the pop up, and Randy for the pigeons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UPDATED LIST

Soon will strike a sum:

milespatton
Mudhen +
Oldman03 +
Darby
Seafire
RIO 7
Owl
Talus +
krp +
texncal
labarr
bcolorado
Roninphx
High Noon +
elkhunternm and NMLady +
Anjin +
45 100 +
CCCC +

confirm myself and labarr will attend. I can bring another popup if needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Norm - weather wise, in summer Q can almost like another region. Did you see any forecast detail on the higher elevation forest near Aqua Fria mtn.?

Unfortunately, Paul, The Weather Channel reports only by city or zip ode. Quemado is the closest. and higher elevations like Acoma are not listed. Is your zip code different from Quemado?

Accuweather reports Quemado rain should start in 29 minutes. "A heavy afternoon thunderstorm, with more tomorrow afternoon through tomorrow evening." Doppler radar forecasts monsoon t-storms this weekend, flash flooding and gusty winds throughout the entire area from Phoenix to east of Albuquerque, so I suspect you should get some of it.

The ex-military pilots like Seafire can probably cite websites with better details. I have not used NOAA, though long ago a friend Gray Castle, was chief lawyer there. I think most of the weather sites get data from it.

Norman Solberg
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Patrick, good - thanks for confirming. If convenient and you have space, another pop-up may prove helpful for the shooting area. We probably will have some rain - and plenty of sun otherwise.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Two Pop Ups are better than one!

also, just FYI.,..

I'm not an ex military pilot.. my eye sight kept me from being one
although I passed all the other tests...

just grew up on Air Force bases, as the old man was an AF Pilot..

I've just been an aircraft nut since I was 10...

and Lord knows how many books I've read on everything under the sun about them
wars, individual types, famous pilots..

Just don't want people to think something I'm not...

although I was on flight status for two years in the Army on a Med Evac Huey Crew
as the units chief medic.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What about Jon, Katie and the kids, Gene and any of the Ball clan?

I'm getting the food gathered. I'm guessing 35 folks... but last time I guessed that it was 54.

This week ended up being a blackout for taking days off as teachers come back and kids start next week. I told them I was going so they had no choice. Besides all the maintenance issues they have because they have deferred any major maintenance since the school opened 8 years ago and systems are failing... we were hit by lightning last week and all security was fried, the elevators and door badging is out, the landscape pump station has 1 pump out so we are struggling to water the sports fields... and all the teachers will expect personal service arranging their rooms... the HVAC tech has struggled to keep certain areas in AC. Some lighting is out, plumbing maintenance in the past was if a sink malfunctioned instead of replacing parts just turn it off... I could go on.

I have tomorrow to get my food list ready.

If I still have this job next year I won't be able to participate this late in July and earlier is betting on an early monsoon.

Kent

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hi Kent - From latest word from Jon, looks like it's up in the air - a slight "maybe" - for him/Katie/kids. Have not heard a peep from Paladin - will be disappointed if the above can't come.

We will have a strong estimated total number by this evening. Will PM.

Double bummer about the inherited deferred maintenance plus nasty lightning strike wipe outs. Guess such hassles come with being lead dog. Thanks for all that you are devoting for this - don't know how we would do a successful SW gathering now without you and Cheryl.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Kent - From latest word from Jon, looks like it's up in the air - a slight "maybe" - for him/Katie/kids. Have not heard a peep from Paladin - will be disappointed if the above can't come.

We will have a strong estimated total number by this evening. Will PM.

Double bummer about the inherited deferred maintenance plus nasty lightning strike wipe outs. Guess such hassles come with being lead dog. Thanks for all that you are devoting for this - don't know how we would do a successful SW gathering now without you and Cheryl.

I hope everyone shows.

If all goes well, my family will be four in all.

Norm

Norman Solberg
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paladin,

Dave Bell is working in Nigeria right now.. he left in early June... right around the time Ivan passed..

I spoke with him when I went to Billings to see Ivan one last time...

he was buttoning up his home in Cody, for a 12 to 18 month contract in Nigeria.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just checked the weather in Quemado, NM on weatherbug.com. Looks like rain Friday - Sunday, with a 40% on Saturday and Sunday.

- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All I gotta do is throw granny on the roof and will be ready to head out in the morning.

Looks like I will probably have to leave Army Joe sometime Thursday do to work stuff.

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Menu is coming together...

Friday dinner is crappie fish fry, Miles has a rib roast we will cook, various kinds of potatoes, pinto beans and coleslaw.

Saturday morning will be eggs, meats, biscuits and gravy.

lunch will be hotdogs and Darby's chili.

dinner will be mexican... dutchoven enchiladas, pork and chicken for soft tacos, beans and rice... and if things go easy I may make sopapillas.

Sunday morning will be breakfast burritos and french toast.

Kent

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna' stop eating today so as to be ready for all of the above.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hello all - just received this message from Judy - sounds like praying time.

Ken went unresponsive today. We are at the ER. They are saying a possible stroke. And his blood sugar. We will play by ear if we go to Armijo Springs now.
Judy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
prayers sent from here, hoping for a good outcome

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
We are both home. Playing it by the seat of our pants as to what's next. Following up with his pcp this week.

Judy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers sent from TX!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My prayers added.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine as well.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From Cochise County, ....on the way

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks fellas.

All I know is that I passed out and from what I can gather my BS level dropped to 62 after eating lunch and some ice cream for desert. ER Doc says may need to change meds,the ER nurse says drink a gallon of water everyday. Me,have no clue as to why my BS dropped so fast. Before lunch it was 115. Will see my PCP some time this week.

Please go on with the important stuff like the upcoming gathering and getting ready for it. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Morning Team Armijo Springs:

I had planned on leaving early this morning. My truck had been in the shop, and was supposed to have been completed last week. Well... they completed it last night, and I'm picking it up this morning, So, will try to get loaded and out the door today. Otherwise, It might be tomorrow morning before I depart.

First, continued prayers for ALL of those from our group that are battling health issues. May continued faith in His love for His children and His healing powers perform miracles in your lives. Prayer's offered for all.

Paul: I'm meeting Dennis' son Levi this morning to pick up the shooting table, target stands and frames. Will try to locate my yellow gong also. It's somewhere at Dennis' home. I have a few more targets to bring. And YES, I have some nice round 4" orange stickers for those of us that are visually challenged.

Is there anything else we may need that I can purchase here in Mesa before I depart ? I'll check back later today, or if needed call my cell. 480-720-7908

Ken: I am type II diabetic also. Not on insulin. I'm in your corner. Yes, keep up the water intake. My DR gave me this formula for water intake. Take your body weight, drink at least that number in ounces in water daily. With 1 gallon being the minimum.

Example: If you weigh 175 lbs you need to drink at least 175 ounces of water daily. 200 lbs, you need to drink 200 ounces of water daily. I know, it's A LOT ! and you'll be looking for a bush to mark your territory every 5 minutes.

Kent: Looking forward to the wonderful meals !

Brian: Will you be returning after you complete your work requirements on Thursday ?

Will miss those that are unable to attend, and looking forward to re-kindling friendship's with those that make it this year.

Jeff

Last edited by Owl; 07/25/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,

Sorry to hear about the medical issue. I wish you a speedy recovery.

- Kevin

- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,

I didn't think there was much chance that I would make it, but things have worked out much better than expected. I have been tied up on the east coast for the past three weeks taking care of family business, and paying some last visits to very elderly relatives. I haven't been online at all for a couple of weeks.

My brother and I zipped back across the country to his home in Colorado Springs. I got my laundry done today so I can head south first thing in the morning. My brother will stay here to get reacquainted with his wife, so I will be coming alone, except my old Jack Russell, "Scout" will be with me. She is a veteran of two visits to Tonto Basin so she will be happy to see some of her human friends again.

Kent, and Paul, sorry for the short notice. I will be happy to take my place at the end of the chow line and take my chances.

I am excited to see a bunch of you fellows again. Ken, so sorry you won't be there, but you are in my thoughts. Safe travels, everyone.

Milo Johnson

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Cool Milo!

A lot of weather this week already and be ready for more up there, we got 1 1/2 inches sunday night/monday morning.

Kent

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Milo - this is good news. We will get an extra side of beef.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I still plan on going,Milo.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy, when it rains, it pours. I'm still trying to get out of town. If it's not one thing, it's another. Hoping to see you gentlemen late this afternoon.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All packed up and ready to go. As soon as the girls get their appearance adjusted to their satisfaction, we will hit the road.

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safe travels, friends!
Wish I could be there with you, but I'll have to settle for pics and stories again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we're leaving shortly, see you folks tomorrow.

While I think of it, I forgot that my pop-up shelter got tornado'd a couple years ago, so no, won't have one.

I will be bringing about 8 pounds of ground pork, ready to season for sausage.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Safe travels folks - Tom we are going to miss you and yours.

Ben - tell the gals to quit fussing - the guys will be the ultimate judge of satisfactory appearance..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ben - tell the gals to quit fussing - the guys will be the ultimate judge of satisfactory appearance..

Can't believe that you wasted time saying that! I have long since concluded that women do not adjust their appearance to appeal to men. It's about what they feel themselves.

What is the rough count of attendees now?

Norm

Norman Solberg
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Y'all have fun!
Wish we were there to join in the camaraderie!
Due to being over-loaded - time-wise, we hope to see you next year!
Again - have fun, and hug all your respective loved ones - for us! (and yourselves)
Life can turn sour quickly!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter (Julia) and I plan to leave El Paso tomorrow (Friday) morning before 9:00 AM MT, if possible. That should put us in Armijo Springs around 2:00 - 2:30. See everyone there!

- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not able to make this one, hopefully next year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Radio news reports that the City of Albuquerque, which is of course along the Rio Grande, and environs should expect flash floods, flooding of low lying areas and streets, and much run-off from the mountains.
Over on the east side of the Sandias, we are currently seeing a thunderstorm at 4:30 pm.

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 07/27/17.

Norman Solberg
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Can't believe that you wasted time saying that! I have long since concluded that women do not adjust their appearance to appeal to men. It's about what they feel themselves.

What is the rough count of attendees now?

Norm

Some women never adapt to the outdoors. My first wife, bless her heart, thought she would go camping at the Mint 400 one year with me and my friends. Now she is not the outdoorsy type in the least. I get up early and start cooking breakfast and when it is ready here she comes out of the tent, holding a BUTANE CURLING IRON doing her hair. crazy Now this is in the middle of the desert, dusty windy ect. Not going to stay clean no matter how hard you try with the trucks flying by. smile

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife just told me that she has never slept in a tent.

I believe that the kids have.

Norm

Norman Solberg
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Right - we realize any such fussing is NOT for man appeal - it's self-respect on their part

But, that purpose may fly right past guys. When they got to camp, the guys saw mom and daughter as lovely ladies - way beyond satisfactory. They pitched tents, set up camp and fit right in with this bunch. Ben should be a proud fellow.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Go to work this weekend,so,I cannot make it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are apt to be in sometime in late Friday afternoon since all have expressed an interest in seeing Pietown!

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I've gotta do this next year, gents. Just passed through the area on Wednesday returning from work in SE Arizona. It's been crazy busy lately and I can't break free. Hope you all have a great time!!!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Made it home safely before noon. It was great to see the old gang again and I enjoyed meeting new folks.

Have to thank Paul and Maddie for the hospitality and their efforts toward organizing things, and Kent and Cheryl for the their usual fine effort and culinary skills. Also should probably thank the gents attending from the other side of the Mississippi - Miles for the addictive whiskey and the coonass contingent for once again demonstrating their shooting skills to us.

Last edited by DARBY; 07/31/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great seeing everyone! We left very early this morning in Junction at the moment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mary has already decided on what she wants for her birthday next month!

A bow and arrows. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rolled in about 5:00 this evening. Wonderful time and wonderful friends, as usual! Thanks to everyone for the time and effort invested, and the unmatched camaraderie.
erie.

Ben

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wish I could have been there. At least I got to go fishing yesterday! Missed all you guys.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dennis - some of us envy your fishing opportunities and wish we could be there.

This was a wonderful gathering - the folks, the food, the shooting, the interaction and friendships - all GREAT. Thanks to all who did their part to make it so and those who traveled so far.

Even with all of that fun, we sure missed Mark, Dennis, kaywoodie, OWL, Roninphx, elkhunternm, Jon, etc. - and those who might have come as newbies.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Seafire got here about 9:30 last night. We had a nice visit, and it's good to see him, again.
You folks must have worn him out - Joy's waiting to serve him breakfast!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mary has already decided on what she wants for her birthday next month!

A bow and arrows. wink

Norm

Norm, it was nice meeting you and your lovely family. This year a bow & arrow, next year a .22 smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many thanks to everyone who organized the trip and a special thanks to Kent for cooking all the great grub for us. A great time was had by all - especially my daughter, Julia, who didn't want to leave - she had a blast and cannot wait to go next year. It was great seeing everyone again and making new friends as well.

Norm: I'm glad Mary and Julia were able to play - Julia had a great time with her and they both enjoyed shooting Julia's bow. I was happy too - until Julia shot an arrow high into the air and it fell, hitting the roof of my vehicle. At least it didn't pierce the steel roof, but it did make a nice dent! Let me know if y'all are ever headed to El Paso - I know Julia would love to play with Mary again. Just make sure you get Mary a bow that isn't too heavy for her to pull - around 18 or so lbs. should do it. PSE and Bear make great youth bows and you can find them easily on Amazon or fleabay.

Last edited by High_Noon; 07/31/17.

- Del Gue
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi Guys!
Tex_n_ Cal and I got home very late Sun after a 1000 mile drive, but all in one piece, at least. The floor has finally stopped moving under my feet, I think.

Many thanks to all the people who set up, organized and cooked for all of us, and thanks to the guys whose conversation made the whole thing worthwhile. Hope we can do this again next year.

Safe and fun travels to all in the meantime. Bless you and yours.

The kids and I got home late yesterday evening. We had a great time once again this year. There aren't enough words to express my thanks to everyone who took the time to share their time and knowledge with both Jace and Jocelyn this week and everyone else who planned and carried out all of the activities so that we could just show up, pitch our tent and enjoy the company of our Armijo Springs family. We are already looking forward to next summer's gathering.

Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. ~ John Muir
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nobody took pictures?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nobody took pictures?

I took a few crummy ones that I will try to figure out how to post.

Norm

Norman Solberg
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We made it home this morning about 1 am. We kinda cheated by spending Sunday night at the Largo Motel in Quemado. Got a hot bath and a goods night sleep. Left about 7:30 am Monday and got home about 1 am this morning.

There is one thing you can always count on, if you can make it to Armijo Springs... Great friends and Great food. I think it just gets better every year!

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones and I hope to see yall all again next year!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have some pics, will share when there is time, but seems like a lot needs to be done right now. Thanks again to all the old and new friends who made this a special event in my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got thru unpacking and putting away stuff. I found a stapler that isn't mine. It's an Arrow T-50 chrome metal stapler.

Who lost one?

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reports of friends being home safe and sound are excellent - expressions of such enjoyment seem even better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got thru unpacking and putting away stuff. I found a stapler that isn't mine. It's an Arrow T-50 chrome metal stapler.

Who lost one?

It's mine, Randy. I'll get it from you next year,

Ben

Ben

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I made to the ranch just after 11:00 PM last night, having had breakfast with Blue, Miles, Randy, and Allen at the Largo Cafe, Motel, and Local Gathering Place. grin

I thoroughly enjoyed myself (as usual) and am really sorry I missed Jon and Brian who left before I got there in Friday afternoon.

Thanks, Kent and Cheryl, for all your hard work putting out all that great food for us. Once again, you show your Servant's Heart.

Ben, please pass on my thanks to your bride for those great chili burritos. I think I'm addicted to them now. grin

To all of the rest of you, thank you for making this such a great time and a great memory. I really enjoyed the shooting competitions and the camaraderie. Having the young folks there was an added bonus, watching them enjoy the outdoors and seeing what fine people they are.

For those who couldn't be there, one young lady, Jocelyn, came in second in the Three Shot Group Shoot with a borrowed rifle. She had only fired a centerfire rifle once before in her life and that was the day before!
The Shoot was at 100 yards from a rest, centerfire hunting rifle, smallest three shot group with at least one touching the 1" orange dot . She put three into 0.84", beating out Allen, who put his three into 0.85" ! grin

The winner of that particular shoot was Milo (nifty-two-fifty) with a 0.76" group, all shots in the orange dot! Boys and Girls, if Milo challenges you to a shooting contest with hunting rifles, you'd best bring your "A" game!

The Bowling Pin Shoot was a ton o' fun, too. A double-elimination tournament with Allen and Patrick (tex-n-cal) shooting it out for first place, Patrick hanging in there and winning it. It was so much fun several folks stayed at that range afterwards just to keep shooting the pins. grin I'd hate to pay the ammo bill for that particular shoot... eek

Another youth highlight was during that shoot was with mudhen's grandson, Jace, shooting a borrowed Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. The young man can shoot!

Several ladies also competed in the pin shoot and showed us that the "fairer sex" should better not be underestimated when it comes to shooting pistols. grin

Thanks to Paul and Maddy for all their work and friendship and to their neighbor, Janet, for hanging around with us and also helping out. Great folks!

I was great to finally meet folks with whom I've chatted with here in the 'Fire and their families. As always, it is a gathering of very fine people who enrich our lives. I've made new friends and hope to see them again in the future.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (219DW, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,676
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.