Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In your yard, on your RANCH, in you neighborhood, at your hunting location, seen in the wild?

Here's one I will miss when I retire. English walnut, probably from the farmstead before they put in our housing area:

[Linked Image]

Geno

PS, I'm thinking there's a few gunstocks in that one. Was hoping I'd be here if they (the "landlords" ) ever decide to trim it in order to put in for a branch or two. Some of those lower branches are nearly 18" in diameter.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a beauty.....I've got a Maple out front that's working on that stature.
When I Google Earth my house you can't see it.
Course it's not a very big house (about 700 sq') but it still surprised me.

As an aside......that dam tree has shooters popping up all over the property which I don't mind but one started getting comfy in a place I really didn't want a couple of years ago. I hate to kill a tree so I transplanted it last winter when it was dormant. In the process of digging it up I accidentally chopped the tap root off at about a foot. I figured it was a bust but I already had a hole dug so I gave it a go and damned if it didn't just live but it's leafed out and has new buds every day. Good blood lines is all I can figure because I am NOT known for having a green thumb.

I'll try to post a pic if I can remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love all trees. I don't care what kind they are or how big they are or how small they are.

As long as it isn't a f#@^&*%$ing Chinese elm.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have some regular elms here that I am torn about. They offer good shade, Leaf fall is small compared to an oak, and they hardly ever blow over. They also offer seeds in the early spring for the birds and squirrels, but those damn seeds sprout by the hundreds of thousands. Also the root system is huge and will go everywhere in a short time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For years I admired the Royal Paulownia, or Royal Empress, trees that I saw growing around here. Kept thinking I'd get one sometime. Then I happened to take a closer look one day, and there was one growing here on the farm. Wish it was in a different location, as it's not very noticeable. I think they are beautiful trees.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ash, black, and white, trees, and wood. Mountain ash for the color.
Lot's of trees, just not in fences are nice.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your goal is a yard that is continuously filled with sticks, Linden trees are hard to beat. Likewise, if you are looking for practically bare ground interspersed with small amounts of thin grass, maples are the way to go.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have an old Silver Maple in the backyard at the farm. It is about 75 years old. The grass grows great on the north side of that tree and is thin and withered on the south side. Kochia grows well there though.

Stay away from Russian Olives. They will hook you every now and then. Suck a lot of water too. Sharptail grouse like them.

Fruit trees are what I like best, especially apple.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A few more from this morning;

Male mulberry in front of my RV, again an old tree from the farm that used to be here. Actually met a gal up in town who lived here as a kid. No doubt, this tree has been here for more than a few decades. As you can see by the foreground, I had to cross the driveway and get out into the field to get the whole thing in the pic.

[Linked Image]

A river (black) birch I planted 5 years or so ago that was getting rootbound in a 10 gal planter. More than tripled in height and width. Plated for afternoon shade on the RV, but I'm retiring soon so won't see the full benefit. Right now it shades for a few hours a day as the sun sinks later in the day. Next year it will provide even more during the earlier afternoon. My RV is visible on the left, still in morning shade from the mulberry above. Neighbor's gets good morning shade from it, but we have to keep trimming branches that want to rub on her coach.

[Linked Image]

And finally a "weed" tree, tree of heaven, Ailanthus. They grow in thick groves along the river here, taking over from native riparian plants. The can grow big like this one and provide wonderful shade, but talk about prolific. I have seedlings popping up everywhere, anywhere there's a tiny bit of soil. Trees and bushes behind and to right are seedlings from the big one, bunches of them taking over. info here: https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/treeheaven.shtml

[Linked Image]

Can anyone tell I like shade. When one grows up in a basically "desert" area and now lives in a very sunny place, one learns the value of a nice tree. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
standtdm,

Russian olive is another weed around here, will take over where the Ailanthus isn't already there!

I've wondered about the possible uses of these weed trees and if a guy could make a few bucks removing them. Seems they grow so well there should be a way to make a buck out of harvesting them.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you're into using a climbing tree stand, a Tulip Poplar is the ticket. They're generally straight and consistent in diameter. The bark is softer, so as you're climbing, the teeth can get a good bite.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cedar tree, if you have an avenue you are watching over, i.e. not concerned with behind you or whatever.

Trim just enough to ascend, clear just enough to view, and let all the rest of those limbs protect you from the wind and weather and wary does.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
FG,

Plants like to live, sometimes can be hard to kill them, especially when you're trying to. wink Glad your little tree seems to be doing OK.

Kenlguy,

Why the hate for Chinese elm? We had one at the house I grew up in and it provided great shade on a good part of the backyard. Of course, no grass under it but that negated the need to mow! smile

Everyone else, thanks for the input. I love ash trees too, and fruit trees are important too. Have some on order for the retirement place, hope I live long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labors! grin

Now, please find and post pics.

Geno

In it is contentment

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, have you considered the spruce, pines, aspens, and birch in NW Ontario?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
John, have you considered the spruce, pines, aspens, and birch in NW Ontario?

I love them! Especially in the fall.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
hunts,

thanks, your pics are usually impressive. I too would love to have that tree nearby.

Hope the little dog is still doing well.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
see the little hollow in that tree? Some cookie making gnomes live in there.......

[Linked Image]

The dog got skunked yesterday......

Last edited by huntsman22; 05/30/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some trees need watering more often than others......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.