Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I've been thinkin of buying an ATV for a while. Certainly not something I "need", just kinda want one. Workin around the property and used during hunting season to move stands and hopefully haul deer.
Leaning towards Polaris...maybe CanAm? Just a basic one seater like Polaris 450 or 570,,,no frills. I can add winch, etc on my own.
Most all cars I have bought have been used, but did buy a couple new ones and always haggled price, never paid anywhere near "sticker price".
Wondering how much room a dealer has on sticker price on a ATV? I mean do they make a few hundred bucks, or a thousand bucks?
I got a feeling they don't go much below sticker, but wondering if someone knows.
I have looked at some used ones but they are either beat to hell, or the nice ones are darn near new price. So, if I did get one,thinking buying new and keeping forever to get my money out of it.
So, just wondering if anyone knows how close to Sticker Price do dealers pay or need to sell at to make a profit.
Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd say you have about $5-700 off retail sticker. But the few places I'd buy from don't have them at MSRP. I have a buddy that is a salesman at a dealership here. If I buy through him, I can get up to $1k off depending on the quad. I could get a polaris for a lot less, but I'm not interested.

There are some great deals on used atv's if you're willing to wait. Or, if you're willing to buy a "non-current" model. Sometimes you can get a 2yr old one that's bran new for a real good price because they want to get rid of it.

Camp is where you make it.
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the reply
Not a Polaris fan?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nick, we bought a new Ranger last summer. At that time there was a $1000(?) rebate. Basically no dealing otherwise.

I think the price we paid was around $1500 less than the internet 'build your Ranger' quote.

N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks Sam, are you happy with Polaris? My neighbor loves his side by side and works it hard....gone thru a lot of tires though.
If I get one I'm looking at a basic one seater Sportsman 450 or 570 no power steering just basic

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've usually bought machines new, often waiting 'til the new machines come out, but that really has little effect with brands that aren't always trying to keep-up/stay-ahead with the competition. One of the best ways to 'deal' that I have found is to work some 'extras' into the deal. Cover, perhaps - if you want it, maybe a couple OEM take-off tires that someone else didn't want, or whatever.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've bought a couple over the years. Bigger dealerships sell in volume.. They sell at a lower price but move more units then the other dealers so they don't have as much room to move. Smaller dealerships are the opposite. You can get prices from two different dealers in your area but the avg you will get is $300-$400 off. I have yamaha's and they hold their value so if you want to trade it in down the road, a good dealership will give you a fair price. They are always looking for used one's in good condition. Good luck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do yourself a favor and look on Craigslist... they have zillions of them in there. I bought my last Polaris 500HO really cheap, from a guy that upgraded to a side by side.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do yourself a favor. Listen to the guys who are telling you to look at used. I have owned: a Yamaha 660, two Yamaha Grizzly 700's w/EPS, a Yamaha Bruin 350, and a Kawasaki V-Twin Prairie. I currently own a Polaris Ranger XP900 and a Polaris Ranger EV Li Ion. The prices of these machines new is ridiculous, and they depreciate faster than anything I've ever owned. For example, when I bought my current machines, I traded in my two Grizzly 700;s. One a Ducks Unlimited Edition the other a Special Edition. Both had full skid plates, remote operated Warn winches and less than 100 hours each. Paid about 11K each. When I traded them in, I got 5K each. The new XP900 was 16K, and the EV Li Ion was 23K. Unless you have to have an ATV for size requirements, you are actually better buying a Jeep Wrangler. It is quieter, has heat and A/C, is safer, and you can use it on the road if need be. If you can find a low hour 450cc+ machine,and get it checked by a dealer for major problems, you will save a lot of money.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used? Last year we bought a '12 Polaris RZR 800 with under 1600 miles. We got it for 2/3 of retail and with a few options. Winch (which I sold and replaced with a much better one), hard top, steel doors, full bottom skid plate, aftermarket dual air filter. All I had to do was replace the tires which I did last week after a year of running. I could have got a lot more miles from the tires for running on dry roads but they were getting too worn for mud or snow.
My partner bought a new RZR 570 about 6 mo. earlier and paid more than $5k more than I did and without the options.

The previous owner bought it and after a summer of use, discovered that his family wanted to go too. So, he sold it and bought a 4 seater. These things get swapped all the time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stay away from Polaris, stick to Honda or Yahama.

Find a big volume dealer and drive a few hours to pick it up. Most ATV dealers attempt to start at MSRP and add on extras to drive the price up. My last two I've bought out of state over the phone, I showed up to pick it up and write the check, saving at least a thousand over local each time. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Find a big volume dealer and drive a few hours to pick it up. Most ATV dealers attempt to start at MSRP and add on extras to drive the price up. My last two I've bought out of state over the phone, I showed up to pick it up and write the check, saving at least a thousand over local each time. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Bullschitt, they all have good and bad!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the rebates and in a high volume dealer they will knock a little off! Buy used is a great suggestion because a lot of people buy something and don't use it then sell!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many hours and miles would you guys consider as 'too many' on a four wheeler?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by nick
Thanks for the reply
Not a Polaris fan?

Not even a little bit. I've had a few but they have all let me down. I've had good luck with Suzuki and great luck with Yamaha and Honda.

Last edited by tzone; 05/31/17.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own two Polaris' and I'm not a fan.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 24mileboy
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Bullschitt, they all have good and bad!

Polaris just has more bad than the rest.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by K1500
How many hours and miles would you guys consider as 'too many' on a four wheeler?

I'd say you're probably fine up to 5k if they've been taken care if. 7k I'd start asking for maintenance records. My step dad has a honda foreman 450es with 5500 and it's needed nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The old Hondas, the pre-transverse Hondas could have been called Odominators. 20K or 30K was not unusual.

Our 450 Grizzly had an electronic malfunction - stator possibly- at 13K, but had been perfect other than minor maintenance details until then.

A 400 Eiger (Suzuki) we have has over 13K on it right now and going strong in spite of a full engine immersion in the ocean for a few hours right around 1K.

Anything less than 10K wouldn't scare me unless it was obvious from the externals that 'ridden hard' was the game.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/31/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a 2016 Yamaha Viking VI that I purchased new. Love Yamaha products. My son also have a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATP (all terrain pickup) that we also use around the property. Although not a Polaris fan, I can tell you that the 04'and 05' and I think 06' ATP versions , are great atv's. The small pickup bed is really an asset. I really don't know why more companies don't put out a similar model. Polaris has a newer version with the dump bed but can't recall the model....something 2? If you watch you should be able to find an early ATP under $4k, perhaps closer to $3k.

For what it's worth............

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.