Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Three powders, ready to go. Bullseye, Red-Dot and 700x

I broke the seal on a can of 700x, if .8grns works, I must keep track of how many loads I can get out of the can, simple math says 4,375 smile

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That's stunning. 4,300+ buffalo with one can of powder? Wow............

Nice job with the ammo, looks good!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
SOOoooo, made it over to DD's range today to try, what I believe, is the ONLY Ruger 10-22GTC in the World.................

Bottom rifle in the picture

Results were/are encouraging. Tested three powders - Red Dot, 700x and Bullseye, three loads each .8/.9/1.0 grain, CCI SPP. These loads had previously been shot in two different Contenders. Velocities in the Contenders were notably higher, probably due to tighter chambers and the breech not coming 'un-corked' as in an auto-loader.....

1.0 - Red Dot Avgd 921fps with a spread of 95, 1.0 - 700x Av 918 Es 258, and 1.0 Bullseye Av 1009 Es 44

Majority of the loads cycled the 10-22GTC as designed, failure to cycles were in the lower charges as expected...

Two cases required a second firing pin strike.

Groups, all shot at 20yds, were overall not bad, in some cases better than off the shelf American made 22LR

Here's a target for the 1.0grn of Bullseye..

Suspect that velocity spreads might be due to a light firing pin strike and will adjust the 'throw', and maybe modify the firing pin end, for better ignition....

Will also bump up the charge a wee bit to see if spreads can be narrowed down without crossing the SST threshold.

Some of the reload tools....

Lyman, Hornady, Lee, RCBS - Somebody needs to 'tool up'..........

Last edited by Muffin; 06/28/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes they do! And Hornady needs to start making bullets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just marking this page, rereading from page 8,

On a side note I am making cases for several posters here, if anyone has an interest in any number of cases let me know and I will add you to the list.

Its raining here Biden is giving this sh~t away, they better start taxing it before we all drowned !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dan, here is the digital copy of the book that I texted you, lots of good stuff, but if you are as gifted as I am with computers, I would spend the 25 bucks and buy the paper back version,

https://sites.google.com/a/books-now.com/en2130/9780883171363-67maufluxGEbritviu85

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you sir, now I got something to do!

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll admit the 'smithing' is a little crude, but I was mostly after a test for function, now need a properly manufactured bolt...

Dremels, grinders, drills and files.............. did 'commission' a local welder though....

Total cost to modify $20, and a little time.

10-22RF to shoot the 22GTC:

the firing pin, one original and one modified for CF:

Bolt face:

RF top,CF bottom:

More:

Pin pushed forward

Last edited by Muffin; 07/23/21.

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It worked before, will probably work better next time.

Sleepy Joe had more bad dreams last night. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Q
Q
Resurrecting a zombie thread here, but are there any updates on this project?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rework hornet for 25 Stevens

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing special to relate at this time. Think I got to where I needed to go and all the supplies await Armageddon.

I am..........disturbed.

Q
Q
That looks fantastic results.
Unfortunately, it looks like muffins pictures are gone now for the 10/22 bolt and RCC is out of business. So I joined the forum to see if I could get a hold of Jimy for some brass and maybe some knowledge from muffin on the bolt.
Seems like a contender is the fast path to getting in at least at the beginning.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck with all. RCC did apparently close the doors, but I suspect that if you look up some brass manufacturers you will find a source. I have not had dialog with Jimy for a fair spell. And yes, the Contender is a remarkably useful tool. One frame, many barrels, you're good to go!

I will add, for the sake of discussion, there are other options which would be as functional if you do any bullet casting. The .25-20 Winchester with a twist rate suitable for 120 grain bullets comes to mind. Little bit of fiddlin' could let you whack squirrels, turkeys, hogs and deer. Mebbe even some obnoxious thieves. Of course, you won't get 7,000+ reloads with a pound of powder....

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Qwert
That looks fantastic results.
Unfortunately, it looks like muffins pictures are gone now for the 10/22 bolt and RCC is out of business. So I joined the forum to see if I could get a hold of Jimy for some brass and maybe some knowledge from muffin on the bolt.
Seems like a contender is the fast path to getting in at least at the beginning.

I did take those pics down, likely will not return to the 10-22 Center Fire project...

First, if my past postings suggested that I had any input in the development of the 22GTC, I didn't. That was wholly DDs doings. And he gets the credit..

While at his backyard range and shooting his project, I, off the cuff, callously, without pondering it too much said '...this needs to work in a 10-22...'

And so, alligator mouth and such, or writing checks that can't be cashed.....led to an attempt!

The 10-22 was an interesting project, to convert to center fire.

But I did it, it was crude, still have the bolt, and it did function, chamber, fire, cycle and rechamber.....

Whacked off the end of the stock firing pin, had a local welder weld on a drill bit, files, Dremel tools, JB weld, completely ruined the body of a bolt and the firing pin for standard rimfire use, but it worked for this......

The problem with the 10-22 and the 22GTC, is in my humble estimation, chamber size.

The 10-22 in its basic form does not have a match chamber, and you get a little more case expansion than is desirable, for reloading back to specs. Which is why match chambers and the Contender are just the cats meow. That and the center fire pin.

It is a bit more labor intensive than 'normal' reloading...

I use the little reloading tool, that is available for reloading RIMfire 22s, to make a bullet and crimp the loaded round.

BUT. Once you cast the bullet it is run through DDs swage die, couple of mallet whacks to get that done, poke it out of the swage, that leaves a lead 'flash' that needs to be cut off, then tap it through another 'collar' that sizes the bullet and trims off the flash, then it is lubed....

Maybe it's the water, IDK, but the whacky seems to run deep in West Central Florida....

Last edited by Muffin; 12/24/23.

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some will say, 'what's the point'?

When you have this....

At least a couple bricks have been added, but there was a time not so long back when you couldn't find the stuff...

SO.....

( . Y . )
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.