T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Chronograph

RCBS Case Master

Lee Neck Dies

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say the best investment I ever made was my Dillon 650. The check was a real big investment at the time....it opened up a whole new world of cranking out consistent quality ammunition at such a rate that I literally spend more time shooting the stuff than making it. For me, that was huge. I could run a batch, and months later, run another identical batch with maybe five minutes of set up and a few seconds with the record book and calipers. I've had that thing for maybe 20 years now, it's melted a number of rifle barrels. Kept lubed and clean, it's still tight and smooth as it was new -- it will probably outlast whoever gets it after I croak.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JSTUART
In all honesty the best value for loading and mucking about with forearms has been a 6" mitutoyo digital caliper.

Yes, that's a good one. It's one of those tools people take for granted and don't think much about, until you don't have one.

Along with the caliper, my best reloading investments were:

Dillon 550
Dillon digital scale
drill press (for case prep) and Lee trimmer pilots
ProChrono chronograph (boy was I pleased to upgrade from that Shooting Chrony!)
House with a yard where I can shoot

We could have a whole 'nother thread on bullet casting investments.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by JSTUART
In all honesty the best value for loading and mucking about with forearms has been a 6" mitutoyo digital caliper.

Yes, that's a good one. It's one of those tools people take for granted and don't think much about, until you don't have one.

Along with the caliper, my best reloading investments were:

Dillon 550
Dillon digital scale
drill press (for case prep) and Lee trimmer pilots
ProChrono chronograph (boy was I pleased to upgrade from that Shooting Chrony!)
House with a yard where I can shoot

We could have a whole 'nother thread on bullet casting investments.

Dillon 650 is faster, the 550 is better if you're gonna be changing rounds frequently, IMO.

I have a 550 and around a dozen tool heads on stands, set up with dies for various rounds.

Dillon has stellar CS, will send parts, etc. after a phone call. Good products, good folks.

I also like the Sinclair Concentricity tool and TruAngle tool. I check most rounds, correct runout.

I'm a big fan of Lee Collet neck sizers, used with a body die. Redding body die is great, I've made body dies from Lee FL dies by grinding out the neck with a Dremel.

I like the Redding Big Boss press, like the primer collection system, hole thru the ram, spent primers falling into a tube. Beats the Rockchucker system. I have and like the Rockchucker. Just use it for seating, the Big Boss for sizing/decapping.

I like the RCBS bench primer tool and have a Uniflow with quick change metering assemblies. I have a wooden block, holes cut for a half dozen metering assemblies, pre set for various charge ranges. That saves time.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hate these threads... they always result in charges to my credit card cry

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here are the things that don't help and aren't needed

Listed in order of most useless

1) Electronic powder scale/dispenser

2) Powder trickler

3) Stoney point/Hornady, whomever, bullet comparator

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Forgot one

4) Case prep 'centers'

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Forgot one

4) Case prep 'centers'

Been thinking about ordering one of those, I loath trimming brass.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Forgot one

4) Case prep 'centers'

No, Case prep centers are #4 on my most USELESS list of stuff to have.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Here are the things that don't help and aren't needed

Listed in order of most useless

1) Electronic powder scale/dispenser

2) Powder trickler

3) Stoney point/Hornady, whomever, bullet comparator

I find a Sinclair "nut" quite handy for setting cartridge length via head to ogive instead of highly variable bullet tips.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damnit, I need to slow read posts.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Without a doubt reloading manuals. Kept me from "sploding" myself all these years. Lee loader original for $10 I was hooked and have probably only shot about six twelve boxes of factory stuff in the last 50 years. Garage sale RCBS A2 press was a good snag too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gunner,

A Gracey or Giraud trimmer is a LOT faster than the "case prep centers" I've seen, since they both trim and chamfer at the same time. They're more expensive, of course. I can trim/chamfer 20 cases a minutes in my Gracey. All you need is case holders for specific rounds, which are relatively inexpensive.

If you're just trimming a lot of one or two specific cases, a World's Finest Trimmer (WFT) works very well and costs less. It doesn't chamfer at the same time, but used according to the directions, it trims so cleanly cases won't need chamfering. It's designed to fit in a drill motor and costs around $70, but each model is more limited in the rounds it can trim.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A used Lyman 310 tool. Kept me reloading while my bench was tied up with non-reloading stuff stored "temporarily" on, around, and under it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought neck reamers for various calibers and when cases get too long I just lengthen the neck of the chamber accordingly.

Saves tons of time trimming....... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Forgot one

4) Case prep 'centers'

I thought you had your wifey trained to trim brass... wink

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye
But probably the best value for the $$ bought a set of Lee powder scoops 2nd hand for $4. Very handy and I got rid of my powder measure. Once you get the hang of it you can scoop very consistent charges certainly as consistent as a powder measure probably better..

MAYBE that depends on the powders you use. My experience was just the opposite. I use more 'large extruded' powders than any other.

I threw my Lee dippers in the trash.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bangeye
But probably the best value for the $$ bought a set of Lee powder scoops 2nd hand for $4. Very handy and I got rid of my powder measure. Once you get the hang of it you can scoop very consistent charges certainly as consistent as a powder measure probably better..

MAYBE that depends on the powders you use. My experience was just the opposite. I use more 'large extruded' powders than any other.

I threw my Lee dippers in the trash.

Jerry

I have never used or trusted scoops.

Just me.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Jerry[/quote]
I have never used or trusted scoops.

Just me.

DF[/quote]

Work great for fire forming loads scoop 15 gr. Red dot, 15 gr. cream of wheat, toilet pepper & done. Good for load work up too verified on the scale. If you get methodical about it they are almost as accurate as a dropper.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As you said, press & dies are a must.. i began w/RCBS Jr and used it 15-20 yrs w/o any hitches. After I got my 8mm RM and was playing with the 375 HH, I needed a press with more internal height. I found a Rock Chucker on sale and still use it.

There's nothing wrong w/the Jr, my son has it now.

Differing from some, I value an electronic powder scale very much. I used a Pact II for yrs. till it became erratic. I immediately replaced it, no questions asked. I definitely use a balance beam scale as check/balance.

The other thing I find invaluable is a SS caliper, either dial or digital. I have more confidence in the dial --just me.

As far as trimming, the cheap Lee case trimming cutter w/pilots and a drill is quick and easy.

What price do you put on a 'good' chronograph ? The best you can afford..

To me these are the most important.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
766 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 87 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.