-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Online Content
P
Gentlemen, I have been lurking in the shadows for many years, but now have a question I hope one of you African hunters can answer. My long time hunting buddy has ask me to go to South Africa with him next year for a short hunt for plains game. He and I both have .300 Win Mag rifles and will only take one rifle each. My question is can we share a gun case? As I understand the rules in SA a hunter may only bring one rifle for a cartridge, a second rifle must be a different cartridge. We want to use his gun case to transport both our rifles. We both will have our custom form 4457 with the info for respective rifles. Obviously, the rifle case will be checked baggage for only one of us. Will this be a problem for us?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I was going to do this I would use the services of one of the permit services like Riflepermits.com. They should be able to answer your question and obtain the permits in advance. SAPS is notorious for making up and changing the rules at will on importing rifles and shaking people down for a bribe. If you give them the opportunity to screw with you they will. All in attempt to get some $$ from you. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. Why not just take two cases with one rifle in each case? You're allowed two checked bags each so that shouldn't be a problem. With one case if your baggage gets lost or delayed you're both out of luck.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Labman95
If I was going to do this I would use the services of one of the permit services like Riflepermits.com. They should be able to answer your question and obtain the permits in advance. SAPS is notorious for making up and changing the rules at will on importing rifles and shaking people down for a bribe. If you give them the opportunity to screw with you they will. All in attempt to get some $$ from you. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. Why not just take two cases with one rifle in each case? You're allowed two checked bags each so that shouldn't be a problem. With one case if your baggage gets lost or delayed you're both out of luck.

What Labman95 said^^^^^^^^

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here ya go. http://www.travelwithguns.com/ The Gun import/export laws change all the time. There are new Forms 4457, and you will also need Saps Forms.The U.S Government is currently working on an online computer reporting system. Use a service that is up to date or you won't have a gun in S.A. at all!!!

Last edited by Slider1; 06/02/17.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Go with 2 cases. You a seriously just asking for trouble. I can see at least one rifle being confiscated. Just buy a case. Can always sell it or will use it in the future. I for one would not want to sit in that damn airplane seat for 14 hours wondering is my rifle/vacation gonna turn ugly. And use that case to throw in a cheap 12ga. Pump shotgun to do an afternoon of bird shooting. You will go thru 4 boxes of high brass #6 in a night or 2 of sand grouse, guinna fowl, francolin shooting. That's my 2¢. And separate your ammo! No need to loose all your 300 win mag shells.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My son and I went to Zimbabwe via Johannesburg, in 2011. We used Steve Turner [travel with guns]. We took just one case, with both rifles in it, and had absolutely zero problems, in either Zim or RSA.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife and three sons traveled from San Antonio to J'burg in 2012 with one case holding three rifles and had zero issues. I second booking all hunting travel to Africa (and elsewhere) with Steve at Travel With Guns.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I don't think the issue is 2 rifles in 1 case...it is 2 rifles the same caliber in one case....even with separate 4457's I think SAPS might make an issue of this.....but just my opinion....and we all know what they say about opinions......a call to Steve at Travel with Guns just might get you an answer.

NTO Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have done what you are wanting to do multiple times with myself and a friend and many clients I took over there have done it. Always used TWG. 2 options if you want a smooth visit to police station in SA. Put both guns on same 4457 and 2 different calibers. Or each take your own gun. Usually most hunters going over there have plenty of options in guns taking different calibers is not that big of a deal. I'm not saying technically it can't be done I am no expert but not worth the time or extra cash it might cost you.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by fgold767
I don't think the issue is 2 rifles in 1 case...it is 2 rifles the same caliber in one case....even with separate 4457's I think SAPS might make an issue of this.....but just my opinion....and we all know what they say about opinions......a call to Steve at Travel with Guns just might get you an answer.

My son and I both had 375 H&H mags, in identical rifles, Ruger No. 1s and as stated no issues.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are family, one case will do. If you are hunting with your buddy, take 2 cases or you new asking for major headaches

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
If you are family, one case will do. If you are hunting with your buddy, take 2 cases or you new asking for major headaches

Agree daughter and I carry one but 4457 and permits in one name I would think two guns two owners in one case would be a headache especially returning in Atlanta. JUSt my opinion.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When three of us were passing through Canada, the border person commented that the paper work fee of I believe $35 at the time was good for 3 arms. We all agreed that one of our party owned all three rifles and saved $70. A very helpful Canadian Customs agent. A much simpler process though than passing through multiple countries. KISS

Last edited by 1minute; 06/06/17.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would take 2 cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use Steve Turner "Travel with Guns" and African Sky to clear

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
What if the case was lost? At least the other would most likely show up. Then you could swap the rifle back and forth instead of both not having guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have gun will travel. No gun no travel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.