-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Williams FP-AG-TK sight is an air gun sight with target knobs but based on several reviews it can also be clamped on top of the 10-22 Weaver TO-9 scope base. Anyone using one of these or the Williams FP-RU-TK model that's designed specifically for the 10-22 and requires d&t to the side of the receiver? It seems like a taller front sight would be required for either one and I'm guessing a lot taller one for the air gun model that might not work so well for close range shots.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
The Williams FP-AG-TK sight is an air gun sight with target knobs but based on several reviews it can also be clamped on top of the 10-22 Weaver TO-9 scope base. Anyone using one of these or the Williams FP-RU-TK model that's designed specifically for the 10-22 and requires d&t to the side of the receiver? It seems like a taller front sight would be required for either one and I'm guessing a lot taller one for the air gun model that might not work so well for close range shots.

I have a very old Foolproof FP-RU sight on an equally old 10/22 carbine. it sits very low to the receiver and yes, it still requires a taller front sight. I can measure it tonight if you want. Adding a scope base under a peep sight would require a very, very tall front sight, off the top of my head I'm guessing maybe 1" tall?

That SWAG is based on having recently tried a Skinner 860 Reliable on another 10/22 since the aperture center only sits some .4" above the receiver, and that was still way too high. From my calculations it needs about a .73" or so front sight and Williams doesn't make one that tall. Skinner does make a .75" tall blade front sight but only for a 1/2" base. In an email exchange with Andy he said he could custom make one with the proper 3/8" base. I forget the price but it's either no extra charge or at most a small fee.

FWIW I put a WGRS Firesight kit on that second 10/22 and the Firesight front sight replacement Williams includes with it is the correct height. Trouble with that is that Williams has really cheapened their WGRS to the point of almost not being usable. The little set screws are tiny and of soft steel and easily buggered up if you try to put much torque on them. Eventually the jarring of the semi-auto action can loosen them unless you put a dab of loc-tite on them or as I do, drop a dab of clear fingernail polish on them. I had a WGRS from another project 25 years ago which has a much superior set screw arrangement so I took the slide off of that to use on the WGRS 10/22 base and that works just fine.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Good info. Sounds like the front sight required on a 10-22 with either of the FP sights could be a cumbersome combination.

Never used Firesights. Maybe I'll give the WGRS Firesight kit a try. I realize it would be a set it and forget it situation but in your opinion will the current WGRS set screws hold adjustment with blue loc-tite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They should hold fine with Loc-tite. As long as you just sight it in once and leave it the WGRS is a good sight, I've used them on several rifles over the past.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW Willaims makes a spacer block for the front (.250").
I ran the peep that screws to receiver, and just ordered the taller front sight to go with.
Thought the peep was a little cheesy so slapped a scope on it and left the tall front on (rear dovetail had blank in it).

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 3,010 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.