24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used regular Hornady 129 grain SP for 2 of my 4 antelope........all worked well. IIRC, the powder was IMR4320 (can't remember the charge off hand). Good luck!!!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
BP-B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I know you asked about 130 accubond which works really well in the Swede with Re19, but the 120 BT stoked with 46grs of H4831
works real well for antelope out to 400yds in my tika, as stated, try them both.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Doesn't mean they are a goat

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
The 120 ballistic should be a good performer too.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
120 Sierra, cheap and accurate.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a hunter,

No, pronghorns are not "a goat" or "an antelope," but they're in the same scientific order as both, and their genus name (along with some physical characteristics) provides some justification for commonly calling them "goats." English is a living language, defined by "common usage" and not strict, arbitrary rules like German--or the more somewhat more flexible rules of Linnaean nomenclature.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

English is a living language, defined by "common usage" and not strict, arbitrary rules like German...

Yes and it'd be nice if some would accept that when it comes to "caliber" re 'cartridge'.

chambering sounds kinda funky to me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I call them speed goats and antelope. My kids call them Pronghorn and so do I. The "just a goat" comment struck a little odd to me. Also they are my favorite animal to hunt and I have seen them run for miles on 3 legs from bad hits. I read or was told there bones are stronger then cow bones for their size.

With that said my wife uses 120 Speers and 120 Sierra's in her 6.5x55.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I mentioned the hardness of their bones in an article years ago, which eventually became a chapter in a book. Can't remember where I found the info, but as I recall somebody had tested pronghorn bones and found them around 9 times harder than domestic cattle bones.

They sure can be tough little critters when hit wrong!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes they're tough even when you hit them right. I once shot a doe just behind the shoulder where the colors come together with my 250 savage and 100gr Ballistic Tip at 200yds. She ran a half circle and stopped at just shy of 400yds and stood there. "WTF?" says I. I sat down, carefully lined up another shot and put another one right through the lungs. She runs100yds and falls over dead. When I looked her over she was well and truly shot with the first bullet, dead on her feet. She just didn't know it. Tough old biddy that goat was.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I load 130 grain TSXs over H 4350 for my wife's Sauer. It is overkill for antelope, but she carries the same rifle for everything. She has killed a pile of antelope with the load, all one shot kills, and she doesn't have issues having to track them.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I call them speed goats and antelope. My kids call them Pronghorn and so do I. The "just a goat" comment struck a little odd to me. Also they are my favorite animal to hunt and I have seen them run for miles on 3 legs from bad hits. I read or was told there bones are stronger then cow bones for their size.

With that said my wife uses 120 Speers and 120 Sierra's in her 6.5x55.

Hey I have a few boxes of the 120 Speers. How was their performance on game?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No question to me... 100 grain Ballistic Tip, or 100 Grain Sierra HP...

Haven't tried the 100 grain A Max, but sure miss the Hornady 100 gr SP.

Load it with 47 to 48 grains of IMR 4064 or 4895, and a Large Rifle Primer...

velocity is duplicating a 25/06 with a 100 grain bullet...

if ya think ya need a stouter bullet, remember Nosler makes a 100 grain Partition in 6.5 mm...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Either bullet would be a good choice with the possibility of more meat loss with the SST. I haven't tried them at lower velocities so can't say. The original 270 130 gr. was explosive at 3100 fps but they may have improved it since that batch was made.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife hunts all big game with her custom Browning in 6.5mm Swede. One loading for all animals regardless of size. We load the 140 grain Nosler Partition bullet. This particular bullet provides good accuracy, rapid expansion, and deep penetration. She has toppled many animals with this outfit including three antelope which were shot at distances about 275 yards or so from the muzzle. She has toppled two elk as well. Both were mature cows that provided excellent table fare. In summary, Nosler Partitions perform quite well indeed!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built my swede on a VZ-24 action and have no problem loading it "warmish" so to speak. I get very close to 3,000 F/S with 120 grain bullets and that makes for a fine deer and pronghorn load.

If you have a swede and want to hunt pronghorns.....go for it and there's no need for anything heavier than 120 grain bullets and for those that tout the use of 100 grainers.....I see no reason to back away from that as well

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I mentioned the hardness of their bones in an article years ago, which eventually became a chapter in a book. Can't remember where I found the info, but as I recall somebody had tested pronghorn bones and found them around 9 times harder than domestic cattle bones.

They sure can be tough little critters when hit wrong!

I had heard this too possibly from you. But I saved some leg bones for knife handles and can say for sure it is tougher than cow or deer and a lot like camel which is popular for custom knife grips. So if you want a local replacement for camel bone Antelope is it. It is almost like Ivory maybe less porous.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just for a reference, I shoot the 129 Hornady IL in my .260 and get 3010 fps using Re17 powder. It smucks deer. I shot several last year with the farthest being a 430-yard bang flop. You should be able to get the same speed, or more from the 6.5x55.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.