Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hi Guys.
1st post from a relatively new reloader from the UK.
I shoot rabbits and the occasional fox and I love my CZ527 17 hornet with a Hardy MkV moderator to bits but even head shot rabbits are too damaged. I'm wondering about the feasability of low loading my 17 hornet to subsonic speed for the rabbits. The aim is to find a round that is as quiet as my 1417 Annie 22lr but with more reach with the ability to reload.
I have 17gr and 20gr Vmax bullets and I've been reading good things about using Trail Boss for slow loads. Any advice will be gratefully received. I'm almost sure it's doable but I'd sure like someone to confirm it.

Thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
toxo,

Welcome to the Campfire!

I've tried Trail Boss in the .17 Hornet, using Hodgdon's formula: Fill a case with TB to to the base of the bullet, weigh that powder charge, then using 70% as a starting load. The case held right around 5 grains of powder to the base of a 20-grain Hornady V-Max, so I tried 3.5 grains (70% of 5.0 grains). Accuracy was pretty good, 5-shot groups averaging well under an inch at 50 yards, but muzzle velocity from the 22-inch barrel of my CZ was 1723 fps--far above subsonic.

Hodgdon does NOT recommend reducing the starting load, but it might be subsonic with 30-grain bullets--if you can find any over there. The rifling twist in .17 Hornet barrels, one turn in 9 inches, is enough to stabilize 30-grain Berger hollow-points at 2900 fps, but I don't know about 1100 fps--or if 3.5 grains of Trail Boss would result in subsonic muzzle velocity. I doubt it, but you never know.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks John.

Nice reply.

Doesn't have to be subsonic but I shoot a lot at night so any reduction in noise would be good. Are there any other powders recommended for low loading?

I do have a couple of hundred Berger 30gr hp that I can try but would love to develope the 17gr because they're cheap as chips.

Am using LilGun at the moment with lots of space inside the case. Would a filler be advisable with this little case? Is using a filler with a moderator/suppressor advisable?

Frustrated at the moment cos the van is in the shop so not getting out much to try different things or buy powders. Can't get powders & primers through the mail over here.

Thanks again.

Paul

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think a filler would be necessary in such a small case, but that's just a guess. Fillers can also hang up inside suppressors, unless they're something that burns up with the powder.

You might try a very light charge of fast-burning pistol/shotgun powder. In the .223, for instance, 4.0 grains of Blue Dot and a jacketed 40-grain bullet is usually subsonic, and doesn't require a filler.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Once I get my wheels back I'll go get some different powder. At the moment I've only got LilGun and started of using 9gr with a 20Gr Vmax and then the same 9gr when I got some 17gr bullets. Both are ok but not chronoed.

Only just learned about fillers and that a full case is beneficial. Haven't had a proper measure but I don't think 9gr even fills half the case. What filler material burns to nothing in the barrel?

What I'd really like to know is low can I go with what powder before the 17gr bullet doesn't come out of the barrel?

The 17gr bullets I'm using are Vmax boat tails that apparently have been pulled from failed hmr so I know the bullet is good for hmr speeds but can I get it to go any lower. Maybe a pipe dream but it'll be fun trying. Can't wait until I can get out all day with a bench and the Chrony F1.

Paul

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Any danger of pressure spikes with below recommended loads?

I am MAGA.
T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have no idea Jim. I'm new to reloading. That's why I'm asking these questions. I have a logical mind and it's asking the question - can I have a quiet round for night time bunnies that reaches out to 100/120yds ish? Where do I find the answer to your question?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have nothing to contribute to your discussion regarding the .17 Hornet. What I can contribute is a general warning concerning fillers in cartridges using tiny charges of fast burning propellants. It is strongly suggested that when one uses fillers, they fill the entire air space between powder and bullet base. To use less than that is to create a secondary projectile inside the case which when impinging on the base of the bullet can introduce a ring in the chamber at that point. Not a guarantee, and won't happen every time, but is nonetheless a documented phenomenon.

As some here may know, my main passion is low velocity cast bullet loads in centerfire cartridges. I have experimented with various fillers to a fare-thee-well and have come to the conclusion that they are more of a hassle than a benefit, and am going through life without them with no discernible handicap. Your mileage may vary, that's my personal observation.

How would a grain or so of Bullseye/231/Clays/Red Dot work in this situation?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would think that a pistol powder would be better suited to this than a real low charge of a rifle powder.

No experience though........never been one to down load.

Interesting questions though.

Hows about a 17M2 with a suppressor??????

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, here is a load work up chart i did with Alliant STEEL shotgun powder.

[Linked Image]

These were the safe ranges for my gun, with 3-4 grains of powder getting a good neck seal when firing.

During the test i worked up to 6.8 grains of STEEL powder, this gave me a sticky bolt lift.

These Loads were safe in my gun, your mileage may vary wink

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's excellent work. Thanks for sharing it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seafire is a great source for subsonic loads in various calibers. I hope we see him stop by and weigh in on the subject.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Seafire is a great source for subsonic loads in various calibers. I hope we see him stop by and weigh in on the subject.

John's on a road trip to visit one of our "Fire members who isn't doing real well. Hopefully he'll chime in with news about our friend and on this subject.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did some reduced loads with Bluedot and 17 Hornet.

[Linked Image]

So far that's it.

These loads were safe and no pressure signs. You have to start at 3 grains to get proper neck seal pressure.

Safe in my gun, your mileage may vary wink

T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sorry Guys. Only just seen these replies. Don't know why I've not been getting notifications.

Some great stuff there. Thank you.

Someone pointed me to a very useful JBM ballistic calculater which suggests that the little 17gr Vmax bullet may well be stable below the speed of sound in a 1;9 barrel

According to JBM ballistics the 17gr 17vmax (the 17hmr bullet) is still stable @ 1000 fps. (1.311)

Stability
The Miller stability value. It should be between 1.3 and 2.0 to ensure stabilty (the military uses 1.5).

Still no wheels to go get powder. Good job my shooting buddy gets me out once a week or I'd be going crazy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd look at Titegroup or Bullseye...

but I wonder if they would even be available in Britain...

Last edited by Seafire; 06/27/17.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
toxo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
That's interesting Seafire. So you're advocating something in the faster range rather than slower? I'm a novice at this and don't know the specifics of these powders but should I be looking for something with bulk to it to fill the case? Trail Boss has been mentioned for this reason. All very frustrating because I can't ask around for powders until I know what to ask for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Powders don't need to fill the case for reliable ignition, depending on how fast their burn rate is...

Pistol and shot gun powders are what is commonly the most effective in low velocity loads...

but it is common that many people prefer to fill the case, with a powder, to prevent a double charge.
it does take some discipline and common sense at the load bench...its not for people who
really don't know what they are doing...

however is small cases, you can actually accomplish the same thing with slower burning powders.
they will be low pressure due to the burn rate of the powder.. and may not seal the neck as referred to
by lanenebraska above.

if you want to go that route, start out with something in the 4895 burn rate, and if that doesn't do the trick
use slower powders, like 4320, H 414....Sorry, not familiar with European powders.. so I have no numbers to
suggest for that...

access to a chronograph is very helpful for figuring out the velocity of your rifle in particular..

The key is you don't want something so slow, that the bullet doesn't leave the barrel and is stuck in it.

I don't own a Hornet, 17 or 22 version, otherwise I could help you out more..

all of this just takes a little common sense and thought.... but many people don't like to do
loads unless they see it in print in a book or someone else does all the testing for them..

These are decisions you have to make yourself on what you are comfortable with... as no one else
has control of what someone else does on their load bench.. so it falls down to the reloaders personal
responsibility....

but subsonic will be easier to accomplish in my opinion and experience with a faster burning pistol/shotgun
powder than slower powders to fill the case... but that takes more discipline and paying attention to what one
is doing.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well said.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.