Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I picked up a couple boxes of Interbonds for my 7mm Mashburn. I used the 130 Interbonds in my 270 WSM about 10 years back and they were excellent. Very accurate, fast and seemed to be as good as the Nosler Accubond. I've seen a few recovered Interbonds around the net and they've always retained a pretty large frontal area and good weight.

Now they are becoming available I figured I'd try them again. Was just wondering what you fellas have killed with them and if you had recovered many of them.

Semper Fi
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I had a 7mm-08 mountain rifle for a few years that fired the 139 Interbonds at iirc 2850 fps, it was a hell for stout bullet that shot well and penetrated even better, hit a few deer and pigs with them, only recovered one and it looked spot on perfect, also IIRC, it only lost about 15 grains of total weight, fine bullets that I wish were offered in heavier weights for the larger bores.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady Interbonds are my favorite big game bullet. I rarely recover them but when I have they retain a significant amount of weight. I have not experienced any bullet failure. I have killed 60+ big game animals with them and recovered every single animal. In fact I killed a pretty large black bear on Monday of this week. The bear and story are posted on this Big Game Forum. It's the 3rd bear I have taken with Interbonds. All were pass throughs. The rest of the big game consist of antelope, mule deer, and whitetails. Plus a dozen coyotes, a couple foxes, and 3 badgers. Needless to say I've given the 165gr 30 caliber Interbond a full workout with my 30.06.

Is it Friday yet?
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Great stuff, thank you for the heads up on them. Like I said, I used them in the 270 WSM and they were always excellent, but never recovered one and only used them on deer, nothing larger, yet. Loaded some of the 154's up in my 7mm Mashburn last night, so I will get some speeds and begin some accuracy work with them. Should be able to get them up over 3200 pretty easily, so if they are accurate, I will give them a whirl this year.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using 165 grain Hornady Interbonds in my 30-06 for about 10 years now. JJHack on this forum perked my interest to try them. JJ has moved on to other bullets while these work so well on the stuff I shoot that I'm still using them. Have killed black bear, deer and caribou with them. They are accurate and consistent in terminal performance, creating a large wound channel and penetrating quite deeply.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used the 150's to shoot a few whitetail bucks, a Dall Sheep, an Ibex and a couple of wolves with my .270 Wby. Ranges have been from 70 - 450 yards. Everything has died, but aside from the wolves I've only had one exit wound, which was on a deer at about 300 yards. It was the size of a baseball. With the mess they make out of things, I think they're completely fragmenting on impact - lots of bloodshot meat on the on-side and fragments in the chest cavity.

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by talentrec
I used the 150's to shoot a few whitetail bucks, a Dall Sheep, an Ibex and a couple of wolves with my .270 Wby. Ranges have been from 70 - 450 yards. Everything has died, but aside from the wolves I've only had one exit wound, which was on a deer at about 300 yards. It was the size of a baseball. With the mess they make out of things, I think they're completely fragmenting on impact - lots of bloodshot meat on the on-side and fragments in the chest cavity.

Were those factory loads or handloads? What sorta speeds were you getting out of your 270 Wby with them? I wouldn't have expected them to fragment like that.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Handloads at 3150 fps. But most of those shots were long; figure impact velocities of 2300-2600 fps. I was initially worried that they wouldn't expand at lower velocities. That was definitely not the case!

They're deadly killers. The Mid-Asian Ibex i shot was at 400 meters. The bullet hit and he tipped straight over. When we gutted him out, there was no exit wound but the chest cavity was completely scrambled. The heart and lungs were completely destroyed. All I found were a few bits of copper in the mush.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I use them in my 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot to hunt Whitetails in the black hills of Wyoming. They are very efficient in their job.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used the 150g in a 30-06 when they first came out. 1.5" was the best they would do, then again that is the best the rifle will do with any load. I shot one deer with it at ~400 yards. I hit it too far back, but it went down and died shortly after. The bullet did not exit and I could not find it. I hit the deer high and behind the ribs.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't killed anything with them yet, but I started shooting some 129 2nds last fall. I had heard they might be difficult to shoot well, but these bullets are shooting very well in my 6.5.x55 M70 - consistent sub MOA 3-shot groups. Shooting water bottles produces some rather dramatic effects so I know they expand quickly.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Great info fellas, thank you for all of the input. I will put a couple of them into the water jugs once I get a decent load and see what happens there. Usually up close at 25 yards tears up most bullets pretty good if they aren't well bonded or locked. Can't wait to see what they do.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Once you've tested them, please post the results. I've had several different 7mm caliber rifles that did not like the 139 gr IBs, so I haven't messed with them in some time. Might want to give 'em another look.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I am doing a ladder test for velocity for my 7mm Mashburn. Well, I figured I might as well run one of them into the jugs. This bullet was shot into the jugs from 25 yards. It was recovered in the 5th jug. It hit the rear of the jug hard enough to tear it but it bounced back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty danged impressed with the bonding on this Bullet. 3200 FPS at point blank range is tough on stuff. It maintained a fairly large frontal area and penetrated real well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots, accuracy wise.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hornaday must have done some work with the Interbonds I tried 5 different calibers a couple of years ago and couldn't make any of them shoot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For some reason bonded bullets have a reputation for being less accurate than standard swaged bullets. I can see this being true if there were voids in the core but otherwise the only thing I can think of is that the swaging creates more uniform contact but most bonded bullets are also swaged. But with only a few exceptions the ones I have shot would always go into an inch or so and sometimes way under. But I don't worry about hunting loads if there at or preferably under an inch.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I may have to try this bullet out of my .270 Win. using Hornady's Superformance ammo.

Thanks

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good work beretz, you could smash the last rib of the biggest bull and wreck the vitals with that combo too. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd say those appear to be pretty well bonded!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.