Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Azar

That's interesting. I wonder how many States define (interpret) it WHICH way. Wherever I've been any rounds in the magazine is considered loaded.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's possible Utah is the exception there. From speaking with others that hunt differing states, it does seem to be more common to consider a weapon loaded with a full magazine, but empty chamber.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Utah's law is the same as Colorado's, at least for the purposes of having a "loaded" long gun in a vehicle. The chamber is what's loaded.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
In CA F&G considers a loaded gun in a vehicle as one with a round in the chamber, Empty chamber and ammo in the mag is fine. Been checked many times.
Bow is the same. Quiver with arrows can be attached to the bow but you can't have a arrow nocked.

However this is the CA F&G reg. Normal law enforcement laws are different. Don't go driving down the freeway with rounds in the magazine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gotta love the Campfire. A thread about the worst modern rifles morphs into a slamfest against the Rem 700 then morphs again into a discussion on what constitutes a loaded rifle.

Since I was first to chime in about the worst rifle, I guess I can chime in about the other subjects.

I own some Rem 700s. They are accurate rifles, though not the most accurate rifles in my safe. They do tend to be easy to find an accurate load for, however. I have had one, an older BDL deluxe in 300 Win Mag, that would fire when the safety was disengaged. Had my gunsmith correct the issue and sold it. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. They are functional and that's about it.

I can't quote the law in MS, but I've heard many stories of folks getting ticketed for having loaded rifles in the vehicle when there was no round in the chamber, but rounds in the magazine. That's why many of my friends like Brownings. They have a removable magazine that can be removed in a hurry in case of a stop by a game warden.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
NY law makes it clear that it's unlawful to have a rifle with cartridges in the chamber or magazine in or on a motorized vehicle. Doesn't matter whether it's on or off road and "motorized vehicle" includes ATV's, side by sides, snowmobiles, tractors etc.. The ONLY EXCEPTION is a motorized boat when engaged in the act of waterfowl hunting and even then the motor must be shut off for it to be legal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
C H

I've stated this before. If I'm hunting, it's loaded (HOT).

"Unloaded" is not limited to the chamber. Rounds in the magazine constitutes 'loaded' .
Ask most Game Officers.

Jerry

I have no problem with how others hunt or carry their defensive handguns. I choose empty chamber nearly 100% with my CCW handguns and probably over 90% in the field with my hunting rifles. In both cases the mags are fully loaded.

Colorado's 2017 Big Game brochure states this:

IT IS ALSO AGAINST THE LAW TO:
4. Have a loaded (in the chamber) rifle or shotgun in or on any any motor vehicle. ...

The brochure goes on under #4 to define unloaded for muzzle loaders as cap or primer removed, flashpan empty and rifles with electronic ignition as empty chamber or battery removed.

We often have loaded mags while travelling in the vehicle from point A to point B if the distance is short. One thing we ALWAYS do is check chambers before putting a rifle in the vehicle. The CO DPW officers are OK with that but I wouldn't go driving through Denver that way.

Edited to add...

For clarification, it is not just the DPW regulations that consider a firearm unloaded in the chamber to be "unloaded". That concept is also codified in state law. I still wouldn't push the issue in Denver.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/03/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I have no problem with how others hunt or carry their defensive handguns. ...

Let me correct that. I do have a problem if they do it in an unsafe manner. One guy I hunted with long ago had a broken safety. The rest of us didn't find that out until the last day of the hunt. We asked him if he had been hunting empty chamber and her replied that no, he just kept his finger off the trigger.He was never invited again.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.