Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by a12
Toyota prices overall are crazy high.

That's because they're well built and they last. I have two toyotas and have owned several in the past, all have been incredibly reliable. My current ones are a 2016 tundra and a 2014 camry. I bought both of the new because after penciling it out with the high resale prices buying a used one didn't make any sense, I could buy new for just a little more than a 3-5 year old used one. When I bought my 2014 camry I traded in my 2005 camry, it had 299,700 miles when I drove into the dealership and handed them the keys. Other than tires, oil changes, and two batteries the only maintenance it ever had done to it was one wheel bearing at 160,000 miles. I never even checked the automatic transmission fluid the entire time I had it, and I bought it new. It still ran perfectly and the only reason I traded it was I was a bit leery of relying on a vehicle with over 300,000 miles on it to drive to work considering my 250 mile commute twice a month.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mine doesn't have carpet on the floors, but has rubber mats. I love that feature because clean up is so easy. I wish it was available on other companies trucks.
I think much of the reason for carpet is for insulation and noise control. Rubber mats let a lot more sound through. Besides, with carpet, they can sell you rubber mats to put on top of it.

You are probably right, but the FJ is quiet as can be on the road. I just wish that they had built it so that it could be washed out with a hose.

duckster, where I have the most problems seeing is at roads that intersect at angles that are not square. I constantly find my self turning into the crossing road to get more of a 90 deg angle so that I can see both ways down the road. This can be a serious problem that I would not have put on my sons when they were learning to drive. Drive one before buying and try to find a crossing street where you have to look back at your 4:00 to see what is coming. It is not easy, but I'm looking with a neck that is old and has gotten kind of stiff in the last few years.

Harry
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for all the insights.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an '07 and love it. I have to have a bigger vehicle/truck and probably not gonna get to keep my FJ, but it's one of my favorites....and I've had (2) FJ40s, an FJ60, a T100, a 1st gen Tundra, a Tacoma, and a Highlander.

For years, I personally think the '07-'09.5 or 10 are 'best', as they were built completely at Toyota's commercial mfg facility, where QC standards relate to 500K miles. After that, mfg was moved to another Toyota facility....at least that's what I've been told.

Mine has some minor unique stock differences, and I hate to part with it. They're great vehicles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by duckster
I will have to drive one. As my daughter will be a new driver, visibility is important when you don't have as much experience.

I put the adhesive spot mirrors on the side mirrors and it eliminated any perceived blind spots. It's a great vehicle and very well built. A friend was involved in a crash, she was hit twice due to black ice conditions on the interstate and the trooper who worked the accident said that the FJ was the reason she lived through the crash. If I didn't need a pickup for the ranch, I'd still have mine.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I did the same with the mirrors on mine, and am in the same boat for needing a bigger, working vehicle, or I'd keep mine forever.

Mine has special order all leather seats, as opposed to just the TRD leather inserts....between that and all rubber/no cloth, it's pretty slick for a true SUV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a 2011 as a weekend vehicle. Ended up selling it as it was just taking up space in the garage. I liked it, I just rarely drove it. It was too nice to drive to work, too small for truck needs, and the rear seat was too uncomfortable for people to want to ride in it. Just seemed the right thing to do to sell it. Wish I still had it.

If used ones weren't so expensive I'd get either a red or green Trail Teams special edition with the MT. Someday if I find a deal...

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 07/20/17.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Certainly the visibility is a concern for any new driver. I may have to drive one for myself and see. Lots of young drivers don't use the mirrors and direct visualization as they should

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Visibility is no worse than any truck, for sure. Also, the back seats had more legroom than the 4runners I looked at, the FJ was just slower to get in and out of because of the doors. However, the doors were awesome when it was set up as a two-persons vehicle and good for getting stuff in and out of quick for hunts and such. I dropped mine off with the new buyer yesterday, and I already miss it. Yeah, it's a 'niche' vehicle, but it owns that niche.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by a12
Toyota prices overall are crazy high.

Because Toyota quality is higher and makes them worth it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duckster
Certainly the visibility is a concern for any new driver. I may have to drive one for myself and see. Lots of young drivers don't use the mirrors and direct visualization as they should

When my youngest son took driver training, they taught him to look over his shoulder to back up. I saw in a hurry that that wouldn't get it. We had an old Subaru that he was driving to school. We also have a 150 yd driveway with a curve. I told him that for the next week, every time he left, he was to back the length of the driveway using only the mirrors, no looking back. The 1st 2 times was entertaining but by the 3d time, he was shooting straight down it like he was going forward.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Visibility is no worse than any truck, for sure. Also, the back seats had more legroom than the 4runners I looked at, the FJ was just slower to get in and out of because of the doors. However, the doors were awesome when it was set up as a two-persons vehicle and good for getting stuff in and out of quick for hunts and such. I dropped mine off with the new buyer yesterday, and I already miss it. Yeah, it's a 'niche' vehicle, but it owns that niche.

I had no trouble at all seeing or backing up in mine. My batchitt crazy red headed ex-wife was just too stupid too drive! She was from Minnesoda! crazy
She didn't have any sense of humor when I told her if she hated it so much because she couldn't see out of it, she could damn sure start walking her fat ass to the store to go shopping. cool

I still kick myself for selling mine. One of the best little hunting vehicles I ever had! cry

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/21/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bought one used with 20,000 on it for $18,900. Put 36,000 on it and sold it for $18,000. A little choppy on the highway, but it was definitely over built and solid. Currently, have a 4 Runner TRD Pro with all the same mechanicals and the underneath looks just as solid.

When the FJ Cruiser came out, most of the Fire posters thought it was a poser car. Could have been for some, but there were few places you couldn't take it if inclined. The Runner is a little more practical as for the room, but the Cruiser was unique. I liked it more than a little.

Last edited by battue; 07/22/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yeah....I've got a pic somewhere in MT on the divide, standing up straight next to an FJ thats parked on a near vertical scree mountainside, and my feet are by the back tire and my head is at the driver mirror. LOL

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.