Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by g5m
Of such are headlines made.

I'm glad you MISSED him.
iirc in Texas you are to drop to below the speed limit by 15 mph.

Pat, what say you, and are cops ever informed about the possibility of blinding other drivers with the spotlight. I realize if a cop senses danger he will have the light on the perp. Id have it on everyone at night, but i be standing in tha ditch.

I say it doesn't have anything to do with LE. If you can't see what's in front of you, you're going too fast.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by g5m
Of such are headlines made.

I'm glad you MISSED him.
iirc in Texas you are to drop to below the speed limit by 15 mph.

Pat, what say you, and are cops ever informed about the possibility of blinding other drivers with the spotlight. I realize if a cop senses danger he will have the light on the perp. Id have it on everyone at night, but i be standing in tha ditch.

I say it doesn't have anything to do with LE. If you can't see what's in front of you, you're going too fast.

Shuuuuuuuu, you ain't an Ohioan Christian.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You were lucky you didn't hit him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
You were lucky you didn't hit him.

He'll hit something.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.....I'm looking at the up side of this
........ a WAY better BITCHING thread than one about a neighbor's fencing misdeeds and transgressions, or access to a sewer cleanout.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There are a whole lot of things that cops can do to be safer on the roads. Getting them to do those things is something else.

Nearly all of the new LED light packages have the ability to be dimmed, if it is hooked up properly. Many are not.

Headlights and spot lights pointed into traffic is dumb. Wig wags engaged at night while stopped is not a good idea.

Impaired drivers are drawn to bright lights. They will drift right across the lane and drive into your scene.

It is far better for emergency services to dim or shut off as many lights as possible once on scene.

Minimum strobe lights, wig wags off, headlights off or at least on low beam. 4 way flashers are preferred.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These new strobed out patrol car lighting packages create hazardous driving conditions. If they were in fact chosen for this characteristic, such a strategy might be reconsidered.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm gonna stand in the middle of the road at night, I'd much rather have the spot light on me than in the face of on coming traffic.

Blinding on coming traffic is just flat stupid.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Our Under Sheriff was hit and killed at night while at a disabled accident scene.

No charges were filed against the person who hit him. We were shocked and outraged.

After that we started looking into the problem of visibility at night. We did some tests and worked with the state DOT as well as federal agencies. We set up mock scenes at night. Fire, EMS, city cops and sheriffs were all working together.

We would send first responders through the scene and ask them what they could or could not see. Even people involved in emergency services, folks who knew to watch and look out, could not see people standing around on the road.

California has done some great studies about night visibility. The use of more orange once stopped seems to be the best compromise according to them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The person who pulls over and stops in response to the flashing lights in his mirror determines the placement of the cops making initial contact with him. If the guy was stopped because of impaired driving, you may have an idiot or drunk setting the scene.

Cops should recognize this fact and mitigate it by their actions, but often they make it worse.

One of my best hunting and fishing buddies was a Tx DPS Trooper who was run over and killed while effecting a DUI arrest back in the late 'sixties.We were married to a couple of sisters.

The drunk had not pulled far off the shoulder and after Doug had cuffed the drunk and put him in his Patrol Car, he went back and locked up the car. While returning to his Patrol Car, another car hit him from the rear at high speed throwing him into the rear of his Cruiser. I had to identify his body and couldn't have done it from his face. It was gone.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
There are a whole lot of things that cops can do to be safer on the roads. Getting them to do those things is something else.

Nearly all of the new LED light packages have the ability to be dimmed, if it is hooked up properly. Many are not.

Headlights and spot lights pointed into traffic is dumb. Wig wags engaged at night while stopped is not a good idea.

Impaired drivers are drawn to bright lights. They will drift right across the lane and drive into your scene.

It is far better for emergency services to dim or shut off as many lights as possible once on scene.

Minimum strobe lights, wig wags off, headlights off or at least on low beam. 4 way flashers are preferred.

This^^^, which is why you dont want to leave your brights on as you get to another driver who leaves his own. Drunks often pull into the brights like moths.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In other words, you were hauling ass past a vehicle with emergency lights activated AND limited visibility. Stupid cop.

Stupid post.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If I'm gonna stand in the middle of the road at night, I'd much rather have the spot light on me than in the face of on coming traffic.

Correct.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Reminds me of the old Red Skeleton story about his $5000 parking ticket.
Parked on top of a traffic cop. Broke his pencil and everything...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Stupid is driving 30mph when you can't see, wouldn't you agree?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In other words, you were hauling ass past a vehicle with emergency lights activated AND limited visibility. Stupid cop.

may be he stopped a car with armed terrorist inside or didn't have time to park correctly , they have a dangerous job don't be so quick.

P.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sometimes the situation does not warrant a stop.

Often times when responding on the high way, I wont turn on the lights or the siren. Just drive with the flow of traffic.

We can create problems where none existed before.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

So he should have stopped? In traffic? With out first responders controlling traffic?

Screw that. I am getting through the scene and getting as far away as I can.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

So he should have stopped? In traffic? With out first responders controlling traffic?

I stopped once at an incident with someone pulled over on my side and LE cars on both sides of the two lane hwy. at night. Couldn't see to drive thru safely. Within seconds I was looking down gun barrels because I was perceived as a threat. You can't be right on this one no matter what you do. I will not stop next time.

Life - and the good sense to live it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LONEOAK

I stopped once at an incident with someone pulled over on my side and LE cars on both sides of the two lane hwy. at night. Couldn't see to drive thru safely. Within seconds I was looking down gun barrels because I was perceived as a threat. You can't be right on this one no matter what you do. I will not stop next time.

LOANOAK,

You nailed it right there.

Can't see because the world is lit up in the dead of night? Slow to a crawl to get get around incident? Result: Get rear ended by the folks behind you who can't see either.

Or as in your case, get pulled over yourself to see why you're stopping. Never had the guns drawn on me but have been looked at "suspiciously". Do I look suspicious? Yes, good guy that I am, I am a topic for another thread on "profiling". grin

Ask cops to put on high vis vests on roadside stops? HA, not if It was me, I don't know who's in the car and I'd just as soon they not always have a bright green/orange vest to aim at.

I've been told there's another reason for all the lights, person pulled over can't see back to aim at cop, lights blind them too.

Ask cops to use a less bright source of illumination? On an unlit highway? Where they can't see a BG getting out of the passenger side rear door? Probably not going to happen. Some of them I know would like to have the helicopter overhead with the bajillion candlepower lights going on EVERY stop just to be safe

Catch 22 + all the way around.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,108
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.