Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad
...at their core, contains a tourniquet, an Israeli bandage, a Quick Clot sponge, and a chest seal.

Yup. Mine has two R.A.T.S. tourniquets LINK , two Israeli bandages, a two-pack of Hyfin chest seals, two Quik Clot Sponges, a roll of Vet wrap, the Benchmade tool, two large bandanas, a large roll of adhesive tape (my truck always has a roll of Gorilla Tape as does my Range Bag), a Sharpie for marking "Tourniquet Time of Application" and the letter "T" on the victim's forehead if more than one victim is present, and several pairs of 9mil Nitrile gloves , each pair in it's own ziplock "snack bag" with the air squeezed out. The 9mil Nitrile gloves are from Harbor Freight and have a longer-than-usual cuff for added protection. There is also a small locking blade knife, a LED headlamp, and a combination compass/magnifying glass tucked in a corner of the bag.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by krupp
Clean tshirt....duct tape and super glue.

You're retarded.

Thank you.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...at their core, contains a tourniquet, an Israeli bandage, a Quick Clot sponge, and a chest seal.

Yup. Mine has two R.A.T.S. tourniquets LINK , two Israeli bandages, a two-pack of Hyfin chest seals, two Quik Clot Sponges, a roll of Vet wrap, the Benchmade tool, two large bandanas, a large roll of adhesive tape (my truck always has a roll of Gorilla Tape as does my Range Bag), a Sharpie for marking "Tourniquet Time of Application" and the letter "T" on the victim's forehead if more than one victim is present, and several pairs of 9mil Nitrile gloves , each pair in it's own ziplock "snack bag" with the air squeezed out. The 9mil Nitrile gloves are from Harbor Freight and have a longer-than-usual cuff for added protection. There is also a small locking blade knife, a LED headlamp, and a combination compass/magnifying glass tucked in a corner of the bag.

Ed

How is summer going?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just went through an emergency trauma class for work. The doc said minimum a good tourniquet windlass style and bandages to plug holes. I can't remember the name of the kit but it fit in a belt.

Last edited by Mac84; 06/06/17.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'm going to go against the grain of what a lot of people probably will have to say. But this is a topic that's worth it. I've got a lot more experience with this stuff than a lot of people, and less experience than a lot more people. But I have actually treated a GSW, so I've got that going for me. After doing it live and training in it extensively, here are the conclusions I've come to.

You can get shot or punctured in three places....Extremities, your trunk and the tweener spots like armpits and groin. They'll need to be treated differently.

Extremities
Tourniquets are the answer. I carry two. The last two times we've had to apply them we've used two. Especially on the upper leg, one might not work. I like SofT but they're bulkier than a CAT and I use CATs where space is a concern. Get a tourniquet you can apply to yourself with one hand. For that reason I don't like the rubber band type models. If you've got kids around a lot the rubber band models can be very good as they'll compress smaller limbs. Get an extra and learn to use it. They'll wear out from practice, so have a designated tourniquet for that.

This might make people mad, but ignore anyone who says that they're gonna use a belt as a tourniquet. 1-It won't work effectively on a real bleed. 2-It's gonna be waaaay too slow to get into action and will nearly always necessitate "cutting a stick" or some other such nonsense. If you need a tourniquet you need it right now, not after you go cut a stick.

Tourniquets are cheap, relative to what they offer. Just buy one and try to hide your eye rolls at guys who swear they'll figure it out when the time comes.

Trunk
You can't tourniquet your trunk and you can't stuff enough gauze into it to stop the bleeding, and you don't want to stuff your trunk full of gauze anyway. You can cover the wound to keep air out of the chest cavity. Do that. A chest seal takes up hardly any room at all. This is one thing that can be improvised, but only if something to be improvised is handy. Your chest is airtight right now, just keep it that way.

Tweeners
Armpits and groins can't be tourniqueted, at least with conventional stuff. But you can pack the wound to help stop the bleeding. Vacuum sealed gauze weighs nothing and takes up nearly no space at all. Grab the end of it and start packing it as far into the wound as you can and keep stuffing it in there until nothing else will fit. Then compress it as tight as you can.

Tampons only work for crevices appropriate to their size. They're not suitable for a LOT of wounds. Especially when you consider how cheap and easy it is to use vacuum sealed gauze that's actually made for the purpose of packing wounds and isn't any more expensive or complicated. On a gunshot wound it's rarely as simple as just plugging a hole.

Every professional I've asked has said that the QuikClot impregnated stuff isn't substantially more effective. EVERY single one has just said to bring a lot of gauze and pack it deep and tight.

A tourniquet, gauze (vacuum sealed) and chest seal can be easily kept on a belt.

If we're in the field I have a legitimate kit with us and everyone in the family knows how to apply a tourniquet.

What blue said.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Peroxide,benadryl ,aspirin and black electrical tape and Tabbaco covers a whole bunch of hurts and sickness !

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Tag for spring.

It's that time of year to make sure everyone is ready for a safe summer.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tag

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

I know it's old but I haven't seen this thread before, but please do no use RATS tq's. They have not been recommended, ever, by TCCC and there's good reasons for that.

1: They are very narrow, relying on multiple wraps to to make up width. This leads to a mix of compressed areas and non compressed which causes much faster tissue/nerve damage.
2: The claim of "one-handed application" is crap for a number of reasons. I've tried it and had my joes try, it just doesnt work well.
3: If, when you get done have not occluded the blood flow, you cannot tighten it further without completely loosening it and starting over instead of just tightening the windlass more.

There are plenty of good options out there, stick with CAT's or SOFFT-W or the SAM's.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wound up buying a TQ from Blue Force Gear, a gauze pad with a quick clot agent, lots of gauze pads and tape, this is in addition to my FAK. Hopefully I'll never need it but I've got it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
make sure you have gauze rolls for stuffing too... its amazing how much you can stuff into a wound IMHO. And I'd want rolls and not pads to stuff a wound.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.