Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had a small Treager pellet BBQ and was very happy with it, but thought I needed more grill space, so I bought the big Texas, the biggest grill Treager makes.

Well, I've had problems with it from day one. It wouldn't hold temp. So, I ended up buying a "new and improved" thermostat.

It STILL won't hold temp. correctly.

Last time I was using it, after turning the temp. down for slow cooking, it went Ka Boom!

My Wife cam running out of the house to make sure I was OK!

I think what happened, was the auger pushed a clump of fine wood dust on the burner all at once, setting it off like gun powder.

So, I'm giving up on my big Treager, and am in the market for a new BBQ

Anyone have any feedback on the Green Mountain pellet grills?

Thanks! Virgil B.

GB2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Buy a Yoder or MAK

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a GM and it's built much better than the Traeger I had, no issues in the year I've had it. Take a look at Rec-Tec too, they're solid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a Green Mountain Grill, it's the medium sized Daniel boone series with WiFi. The thing rocks, and I can cook anything in it. All within only 1 degree accuracy, fully calibrateable, and I can run smokehouse type scheduled on my phone just like the commercial series. I wanted a bit more room but disliked the second rack selection so I took a optional front rack and installed it inside. I took about 3/8" off the bottom mount and turned it 90° into a foot and drilled a single hole and installed 1/4" Stainless hardware. Looks factory and works even better! Now I have a really solid second cooking surface and the arms swing out of the way or hold my smoke sticks for cooking sausage.

I wouldn't buy a large unit, takes too long to come up to temp and even harder to control without a lot of food inside isolating the heat. The medium size is perfect for my gatherings and this second made up shelf fixed the room issue.

Last edited by Hydrashocker; 06/04/17.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How long have you had the GM grill ?

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Would someone explain what the advantages are, or why a pellet grill is desirable? Not being cute, just stupid.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Would someone explain what the advantages are, or why a pellet grill is desirable? Not being cute, just stupid.

... there really aren't any

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If you want a grill that's as easy to light as a gas grill and also adds a little smoke flavor. It will also cook a lot more even than 95% of the gas and charcoal grills out there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
If you want a grill that's as easy to light as a gas grill and also adds a little smoke flavor. It will also cook a lot more even than 95% of the gas and charcoal grills out there.

BINGO !! I love the pellet concept. Truly set it and forget it providing the grill is of quality mfg.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whats the difference between the grill's ya'll are talking about VS the Big Green Egg?

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Whats the difference between the grill's ya'll are talking about VS the Big Green Egg?

I have neither a pellet grill or a BGE. Dad, uncle, and brother in law each have a Traeger.

The Traeger and other pellet grills have a bin that holds compressed sawdust pellets. A thermostat inside the cooking chamber tells an auger to speed up or slow down to increase/decrease pellet feed rate to maintain a set temperature. The Traegers are a light sheet metal build. Other more expensive pellet grills (Yoder is one example) are made of plate steel. The heavier built ones will last longer, and might have some benefit of 'mass' to maintain temps better.

A BGE or the similar heavy ceramics operate like a conventional charcoal grill (like an old school Weber kettle). But the 1"+ thick ceramic they're built out of holds the heat better. (somebody jump in here, is it insulating better, or is it holding the heat due to its mass?). I've heard many say a 'double handful' of charcoal was enough for them to do a low and slow cook for 12 hours. (heresay I know, never used one). With the vents on it, its supposed to be easy to dial in a temperature and sit on that the entire cook.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the explanation, I have a BGE and I love it. I assume the 1 inch ceramic is why it holds heat, I don't think it has insulation or at least I can't see any.

J Simoneaud

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Simoneaud

I have neither a pellet grill or a BGE. Dad, uncle, and brother in law each have a Traeger.

The Traeger and other pellet grills have a bin that holds compressed sawdust pellets. A thermostat inside the cooking chamber tells an auger to speed up or slow down to increase/decrease pellet feed rate to maintain a set temperature. The Traegers are a light sheet metal build. Other more expensive pellet grills (Yoder is one example) are made of plate steel. The heavier built ones will last longer, and might have some benefit of 'mass' to maintain temps better.

A BGE or the similar heavy ceramics operate like a conventional charcoal grill (like an old school Weber kettle). But the 1"+ thick ceramic they're built out of holds the heat better. (somebody jump in here, is it insulating better, or is it holding the heat due to its mass?). I've heard many say a 'double handful' of charcoal was enough for them to do a low and slow cook for 12 hours. (heresay I know, never used one). With the vents on it, its supposed to be easy to dial in a temperature and sit on that the entire cook.

Thought experiment: Insulating is a large part of it. You can put your hand on the side of one that has been cooking low and slow for a good while. Now think of trying that with an iron pot of similar mass.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hmm meaning the ceramic is self insulated so to speak? or the ceramic is more efficient?

J Simoneaud

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Most ceramics are good insulators.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When Traegers run, they're pretty nice. When they don't, nightmare.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O.K., I'll jump in. Most all of you know I am a Green Egg guy. At one point I owned five of them in various sizes. About a year ago I bought an FEC100 pellet cooker and I have been impressed with the quality of product that it produces. Am I ditching the Eggs? No. Have I sold a couple, yes.

You just have to size up what you are going to do with your smoker. IMO there is no finer all around "cooker" than the BGE. You can do anything from low and slow bbq to high temp pizzas on them, but the size of the cooking surface is a problem if you are cooking a lot for large groups. I still feel the best quality food comes off of the BGE, but for my catering and large family cooks I go to the FEC.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a GM for about 7 years. It's been great. I use it as an alternative to a gas grill. Better flavor and just as easy. I have a charcoal/stick burner as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another question on the Green Mountain grill;

How hard is it to keep clean? Do you have to take the two sliding stainless grill plates out and wash them each time it's used?

And, will grease drip down into the "innerds" through the little holes in the grill plates?

Thanks! Virgil B.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've owned mine for about 4 months now and use it all the time. Just smoked me a dry brown sugar cured bacon on Sunday and a few deer burgers.

The heated come out in two prices just later in for dishwasher cleaning. Their easy to clean, I just spray some olive oil on them as a release agent. Do you have to take them out? Well no, but why wouldn't you?

Grease can leach down, but I keep mine all wrapped in tin foil and cook indirect. Very easy clean up. Still haven't had to clean my fire box or innerds but I've gone through about 100 pounds of pellets so I plan to take it apart and see how she looks next time. I expect very little cleanup will be needed at all.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.