Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bear48 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm looking for a good recipe for German potato salad. Not the hot one but cold; made with vinegar and maybe alittle oil, NO mayo. There's plenty on the net, but still haven't found the right one yet. Would have some bacon and maybe some onion in it too. Thanks guys!

GB1

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never really cared that much for the side, but I do wonder whether the idea originated in Germany, or here in the US...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My great-Aunt made the best German potato salad I've ever had. I asked her for the recipe and she said she just made it until it tasted right...

PS- Her's had more than "some" bacon in it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not my recipe, but rather a recipe from the most amazing group of Mennonite ladies. DELICIOUS!

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2010/11/hot-german-potatoe-salad.html

Sometimes I just want something a little different to serve as a side dish besides the same old usual fare that I always make. Then I was reminded of this dish I had as a young married woman eager to learn all the tricks of the trade in the kitchen.

I used to work in an Elderly Person Care Home for 15 years, and we had amazing cooks there, who cooked home made food that was familiar to the people that lived there.
One of the things I really enjoyed was when they served Hot German Potato Salad. This was not something that my mother made so I asked for the recipe and got the usual reply. 'Oh, a little of this and a handful of that'......sheesh, I was a new aspiring cook, I needed more details than that. What in the world does a little of this or that even mean? With many years of cooking experience, I now know what she means and I tried to recreate it and this is what I came up with. Just a little different than the same old...

•1/2 lb of bacon
•6 green onions, sliced
•1 small green pepper, chopped
•6 cups potatoes, cooked and sliced
•1/3 cup vinegar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon sugar
•lots of pepper, to taste
•1 egg, beaten

1.Fry chopped bacon until crisp; add onion and green pepper.
2.Drain at least 1/2 the fat.
3.Mix vinegar, seasonings and egg; stir into bacon.
4.Stir in potatoes and heat through.
5.Enjoy with some smoked sausage or ham, cole slaw and baked beans

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Miss Lynn... When is the kartoffelsalat going to be ready? You have my saliva glands running....

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds GOOD!

I'm on a low carb. diet, and make 'tater salad with diced turnips instead of of dice potatoes.

Might have to try this recipe using turnips!

Virgil B.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the recipe ML.

Being a German potato salad, me thinks a nice brown mustard should be incorporated.

At least, the last cold - prepped one I indulged in, did.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to love a deli on E. 55th St between Park & Madison named Conrad's (right next to a Duane Reade Rx). Sadly, now closed. I'd be there about 11:30am when the German Potato Salad was still warm. The Russian ladies in their red aprons would dish me up some of that with my personally designed Egg Salad & Lox on Marble Rye with lettuce & tomato. I washed that down with a Yoo-Hoo and rice pudding for dessert.

As they say in NYC, "To die for."

Murphy was a grunt.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bear, fist off, Lynn's recipe sounds good. One of my Canadian friends is married to a woman from East Germany. We have eaten her potato salad many times. I asked about her recipe, and was told she does not have written recipe, just makes it as she goes.

Part of the fun, trying out different ways?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Miss Lynn, thank you. That is going in my recipe folder. Cheers for a nice weekend. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
Never really cared that much for the side, but I do wonder whether the idea originated in Germany, or here in the US...

Originated there I think, sse. I've had it in Germany and Austria, and other countries in Europe, for that matter.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.