Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure where to post this on the forum, but since the AK section is my favorite, I'll post it here:

This may be an unusual question, but I have been concerned about controlling my adrenaline response in extreme or dangerous situations for quite some time. I have yet to experience this while in a hunting situation, but there have been times in my life, i.e. heated arguments, fights (not many), instances where I am not being treated fairly or when I have been unjustly accused, and the most dangerous of all: dealing with the ex-wife, where I feel my adrenaline rising to very high levels and I feel I loose a bit of control. Not always, but sometimes, depending on the severity of the situation, I experience shaking and loss of fine motor skills.

I know that military personnel train to control their adrenaline response and I would like to learn to do so as well. Specifically, I do not want to get into a self-defense situation where my adrenaline response will negatively affect my ability to handle the situation.

Outside of the BS methods of diet, exercise, counting to 10, channeling Buddah, or whatever, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about controlling adrenaline response when seconds count?

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/04/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The thing that works best for me is confidence. When new at anything adrenalin can get to me.

But once I understand that I'll "win" most all of the time whatever the situation is, and mostly you get there by training one way or another, then its all just calm cool and collected.

When you have doubt in the outcome you'll crap out IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
roast: I agree that experience and confidence are key, and that doubt is a killer, but that's all for naught when dealing with a crazy woman, and you're concerned about the well-being of your child, for example. Most of the time I simply remove myself from the situation. I do not seek trouble, quite the opposite in fact, but in situations where experience is impractical or even impossible, what can be done? Yes, drills and practice can be effective at mitigating the negative response of a charging brownie, for example, but one cannot know their true response until it happens. While I have experience with charging feral hogs, a brown bear is a different matter entirely. Similarly, I like to think that my marksmanship and practice hunting and shooting would dictate my response to being shot at by a bad guy, but I cannot truly know how I would react until it actually happened, as I have not served in the military and I have no experience in this area.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/04/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only way you'll ever know for sure if your aim will be true when the [bleep] hits the fan is to live through it. Either it will or it won't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I should also add that I recognize that the adrenaline rush I experience is not fear, rather it's an overabundance of energy that I attempt to restrain. I had someone tell me that pressing the "go button" results in a smooth adrenaline flow, but I'm not sure how to do that and what the result would be.

- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John_Harvard: True enough.

- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by High_Noon
roast: I agree that experience and confidence are key, and that doubt is a killer, but that's all for naught when dealing with a crazy woman, and you're concerned about the well-being of your child, for example. Most of the time I simply remove myself from the situation. I do not seek trouble, quite the opposite in fact, but in situations where experience is impractical or even impossible, what can be done? Yes, drills and practice can be effective at mitigating the negative response of a charging brownie, for example, but one cannot know their true response until it happens. While I have experience with charging feral hogs, a brown bear is a different matter entirely. Similarly, I like to think that my marksmanship and practice hunting and shooting would dictate my response to being shot at by a bad guy, but I cannot truly know how I would react until it actually happened, as I have not served in the military and I have no experience in this area.

The problem here, IMHO, is in your mind. HOW is a charging bear different than a hog? They are both dangerous, and both charging..... If you are confident then its no big deal to swap a bear for a pig, except in your mind if you let it be.

Its the same with buck fever or target panic, its all a fear of failure.

To me its just that simple.

As to and adrenalin surge not being fear, thats all in your mind IMHO, the adrenalin will come, and if you use it correctly its good. If you are afraid its a negative. Its going to be there, the rest is up to you.

RE not knowing until the time is true in every instance. But the more you have phsyically and mentally trained the better off you will be.

For this thing you need to read a lot of mental stuff IMHO. SOrry I have no real reading to offer as its been so many years since wife and I both did this, I just can't quite recall what we read.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Re:the ex-wife

She knows how to push your buttons to make you go away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would refer you to "Escanaba in the Moonlight"

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Alaskan approach

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The Alaskan approach

[Linked Image]

Smart of you to plant a variety that doesn't need to be covered when it "frosts"! grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure where to post this on the forum, but since the AK section is my favorite, I'll post it here:

This may be an unusual question, but I have been concerned about controlling my adrenaline response in extreme or dangerous situations for quite some time. I have yet to experience this while in a hunting situation, but there have been times in my life, i.e. heated arguments, fights (not many), instances where I am not being treated fairly or when I have been unjustly accused, and the most dangerous of all: dealing with the ex-wife, where I feel my adrenaline rising to very high levels and I feel I loose a bit of control. Not always, but sometimes, depending on the severity of the situation, I experience shaking and loss of fine motor skills.

I know that military personnel train to control their adrenaline response and I would like to learn to do so as well. Specifically, I do not want to get into a self-defense situation where my adrenaline response will negatively affect my ability to handle the situation.

Outside of the BS methods of diet, exercise, counting to 10, channeling Buddah, or whatever, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about controlling adrenaline response when seconds count?

I don't 'know' much about it, but have 'thoughts' about this very topic, since I've wished and wondered how I might change some aspects of dealing with 'fight-or-flight' situations. What I know about myself is that I get rather ticklish about 'running in front of the freight train' if it means saving my own hide. But, my own safety never crosses my mind if there's someone else that's lying on the rails. So what one's focus must have something to do with it. But I reckon there's a lot one can gain through experience, exposure, and practice also. Fear of the unknown can be the worst.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I can relate. My adrenaline response to even just, say, a shooter buck 40 yards away in the PNW jungle can be nearly overwhelming, much less something that might try to kill me.

I can't speak from a ton of experience, thankfully, but I do have recent experience with a self-defense situation involving a dangerous animal, in this case my neighbors [bleep] 85-lb pit bull mix that has now come after me four times. I love dogs, and don't want a feud with the hillbilly SOB's, so have tried every avenue short of just shooting it, though that's the next step here. Anyway, my point is that I have a response similar to yours if there's time for it, but the two times I had my Glock on me when that dog came at me, the pistol was in my hand and tracking the dog almost like magic. In one case, it stopped about 6-8 feet away. In the other I clubbed it HARD with a bat in my left hand as it dove for my leg; the trigger was 90% pulled that time. Anyway my point is that you might do just fine in an actual emergency that happened fast; it's when the adrenaline has a chance to "soak in" that it really gets to me. I remember in my teen years, growing up in a violent place, that if a fight was in the making I'd first feel weak and breathless... but after that I'd get a wave of strength and finally fury. I learned to stall. That might help as well.

That weed/snow pic is pretty funny. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The release of adrenaline is hard to control, it's physiological and it's a survival mechanism in and of itself. Maybe if you were charged by big bears often enough you could get used to that and control it; maybe not.

Same thing happens to most people if/when they realize they're lost. Unless they've been lost enough to get over the adrenaline dump.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will still say that training is the only way. You have to have this ingrained into the muscle memory as an automatic response.

It very much mirrors shooting, when the eye sees teh shot, the gun shoots on its own... basically. It takes a LONG time to get there. Along the way you realize you are building confidence. But when the SHTF, it can all go upside down but if your training is good, it'll take over.

I practiced a LOT for years with instinctive bow shooting. So much so that I could tell when I was in the zone so to speak. You made the "rush" work for you instead of against you. THere is a fine line and when you fall over either side you are usually in deep. As it deep bad or deep good.

I recall a shot that amazed me once... I saw the deer on the way to a stand. I don't recall anything but seeing the deer. I had to pop an arrow onto the string, actually turn around to get to my shooting side, clear brush, draw and shoot. I KNOW I had to do alll this as I looked at it after... All I can remember is the rush of seeing the deer and then an arrow going through the chest...

I guess in the end I"m not sure that you ever easily control the rush, but you can mostly control what you do when the rush hits you.. as to an automated response basically as I can't think of the exact correct scientific term right now.

I"ve never been charged by a bear. I have by a couple of wounded pigs. And a few other critters. So I may fail if a bear comes into the picture, but I doubt it personally.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I guess in the end I"m not sure that you ever easily control the rush, but you can mostly control what you do when the rush hits you.. as to an automated response basically as I can't think of the exact correct scientific term right now.

Exactly, and I think we're talking about two different things here. The OP was talking about suppressing the adrenaline release that happens automatically when you get into a "fight or flight situation." I think that's very difficult; it's a physiological response that happens whether we want it to or not..

You're talking about practicing something enough so that muscle memory takes over and it's automatic--you don't have to think so the adrenaline rush (which clouds your thinking) doesn't affect the task at hand. Like drawing a pistol, clicking off the safety, aiming, and shooting in one smooth motion without having to think about it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Exactly, and I think we're talking about two different things here. The OP was talking about suppressing the adrenaline release that happens automatically when you get into a "fight or flight situation." I think that's very difficult; it's a physiological response that happens whether we want it to or not..

You're talking about practicing something enough so that muscle memory takes over and it's automatic--you don't have to think so the adrenaline rush (which clouds your thinking) doesn't affect the task at hand. Like drawing a pistol, clicking off the safety, aiming, and shooting in one smooth motion without having to think about it.

very reasoned post

only way I see out of this, is to keep marrying crazy women, by the time you get to the 18th or 19th one (I can't recall which) you're problem will be solved. Sorry I know that's as handy as a sharp stick to the eye. Good luck

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Women I"ve no experience with. My first is my wife and couldn't ask for anything better.

You'll never get away from the rush, in most cases, it may tame down in some situations as you get more comfortable.

But dealing with adrenalin and a rush I did not think he was seriously talking woman, but 2 legged vermin(not xwife) or 4 legged vermin...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OR, you could just get to ignore your X, I think that would be by far the best for all involved.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by smokepole

very reasoned post

only way I see out of this, is to keep marrying crazy women, by the time you get to the 18th or 19th one (I can't recall which) you're problem will be solved. Sorry I know that's as handy as a sharp stick to the eye. Good luck

18 or 19... Damn Randy you are WAY tougher than I ever imagined...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
300 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.