Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have a Garand, so MIA would be next

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for jogging my memory. My friend Jeff also has an FNAR with 4 mags to sell.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 3 Garands and I could use another one but I'll probably build another AR upper..

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jealous here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
M-1 Carbines are cool.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
M-1 Carbines are cool.
I have a couple already. And yeah, they are cool; way too much fun to shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I kinda like em myself. 1944 Inland Arms.

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
LD,

That’s a VERY good looking M1 Carbine you have there. I’m seeing a carbine that was re-parked at some time, probably one of the arsenal refreshes they did either after WWII or Korea, or maybe done by the importer. I worked for one of the importers, and we did some VERY nice re-Parkerizing if I do say so myself. Our import stamp was IA.CO.SAC.CA, on the under-side of the barrel near the front sight. We imported 7,000 from China, and 4,000 from Israel, and I was the lucky guy who went through every last Carbine. Inspected each and every one, checked headspace, made any small repairs, determined which ones would have to be re-finished, etc. We had a lot of the ones from China that were re-Parked because many had the finish worn off…no rust, no real abuse, just honest wear; and those rifles were mostly mechanically perfect with bright shiny bores. Yours has a beautiful finish and extremely nice walnut. I’m seeing a late style stamped rear sight, type 2 slide, late style safety, first style magazine catch. Hodge-podge of parts, basically your typical M1 Carbine. I always laugh when people bring out an all matching M1 and say it’s all original. BS, no manufacturer ever actually made an all matching M1 Carbine. Many had barrels made by Saginaw or Underwood (or whomever had a good run of barrels the previous month), and all had internal parts made by various subcontractors. Carbines like yours (and mine) are the REAL original Carbines…the ones with a hodge-podge of parts. The "all matching" are guns where someone has collected all the parts and forced matched...I'm not sure why, but many collectors, even serious collectors just kinda play along.

I have an Inland. It was my first M1 Carbine and I specifically wanted an Inland. Inland was the company that really made the M1 Carbine happen. Winchester may have invented the thing (mostly designed by Ed Browning) but they were in no position to actually manufacture the little M1 and they had a rough time tooling up. Inland stepped in and really saved the day. They did all the production blueprints for approval by Springfield Armory, they made all the shop jigs, fixtures, and gauges for ALL manufacturers, and they had Carbines rolling of the production lines before even Winchester did. Most of the M1 Carbine was invented by Ed Browning. He had developed a "light" semi-auto .30-06 that weighed around 7lbs, and after the Army flatly told Winchester the Garand was here to stay, the director of the M1 Carbine program asked if Browning's rifle could be scaled down and submitted for the M1 Carbine project . A couple of Winchester’s engineers turned it into the M1 Carbine, neither they or Ed Browning ever got any real credit for the design. David Williams was brought in when they were having issues with the prototype. He trashed Browning’s gas system which wasn’t the greatest design, cleaned things up, added his short stroke piston design (which was rather brilliant) and generally got credit for the whole thing…there’s a man who knew marketing.

So I wanted an Inland because while Winchester invented it, Inland made it all happen. Here’s a pic of my Inland. I got this out of the pile of Carbines that came from Israel. I wasn’t allowed to have my first pick, which was brand new, still in the wax wrapper…the boss got that one. So mine was the 2nd nicest Carbine in the building out of 11,000 Carbines, and somehow it strangely never got stamped with an import stamp...not sure how that happened😊

It was actually in M2 configuration when I first saw it, so I returned it to M1 configuration before it got documented as an M2 (once a machinegun, always a machinegun according to the ATF).
[Linked Image]

My other one is an IBM, very similar to my Inland, nicely finished like yours. Both are just an absolute HOOT to shoot, always the rifles that everyone wants to shoot, especially my kids. I think when I’m gone, there will be a Holy War in the Gibson household over my Carbines. I’ll just have to get a couple more so each kid can have one…it’s the right thing to do.

Thanks for sharing the pic of yours. I have a special place in my heart for the little M1, and I always go a little weak in the knees when I see one as nice as yours.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So a Model of 1917 30-06 is out of the question? Okay. It's my pick.

Regards, Guy

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
LD,

That’s a VERY good looking M1 Carbine you have there. I’m seeing a carbine that was re-parked at some time, probably one of the arsenal refreshes they did either after WWII or Korea, or maybe done by the importer. I worked for one of the importers, and we did some VERY nice re-Parkerizing if I do say so myself. Our import stamp was IA.CO.SAC.CA, on the under-side of the barrel near the front sight. We imported 7,000 from China, and 4,000 from Israel, and I was the lucky guy who went through every last Carbine. Inspected each and every one, checked headspace, made any small repairs, determined which ones would have to be re-finished, etc. We had a lot of the ones from China that were re-Parked because many had the finish worn off…no rust, no real abuse, just honest wear; and those rifles were mostly mechanically perfect with bright shiny bores. Yours has a beautiful finish and extremely nice walnut. I’m seeing a late style stamped rear sight, type 2 slide, late style safety, first style magazine catch. Hodge-podge of parts, basically your typical M1 Carbine. I always laugh when people bring out an all matching M1 and say it’s all original. BS, no manufacturer ever actually made an all matching M1 Carbine. Many had barrels made by Saginaw or Underwood (or whomever had a good run of barrels the previous month), and all had internal parts made by various subcontractors. Carbines like yours (and mine) are the REAL original Carbines…the ones with a hodge-podge of parts. The "all matching" are guns where someone has collected all the parts and forced matched...I'm not sure why, but many collectors, even serious collectors just kinda play along.

I have an Inland. It was my first M1 Carbine and I specifically wanted an Inland. Inland was the company that really made the M1 Carbine happen. Winchester may have invented the thing (mostly designed by Ed Browning) but they were in no position to actually manufacture the little M1 and they had a rough time tooling up. Inland stepped in and really saved the day. They did all the production blueprints for approval by Springfield Armory, they made all the shop jigs, fixtures, and gauges for ALL manufacturers, and they had Carbines rolling of the production lines before even Winchester did. Most of the M1 Carbine was invented by Ed Browning. He had developed a "light" semi-auto .30-06 that weighed around 7lbs, and after the Army flatly told Winchester the Garand was here to stay, the director of the M1 Carbine program asked if Browning's rifle could be scaled down and submitted for the M1 Carbine project . A couple of Winchester’s engineers turned it into the M1 Carbine, neither they or Ed Browning ever got any real credit for the design. David Williams was brought in when they were having issues with the prototype. He trashed Browning’s gas system which wasn’t the greatest design, cleaned things up, added his short stroke piston design (which was rather brilliant) and generally got credit for the whole thing…there’s a man who knew marketing.

So I wanted an Inland because while Winchester invented it, Inland made it all happen. Here’s a pic of my Inland. I got this out of the pile of Carbines that came from Israel. I wasn’t allowed to have my first pick, which was brand new, still in the wax wrapper…the boss got that one. So mine was the 2nd nicest Carbine in the building out of 11,000 Carbines, and somehow it strangely never got stamped with an import stamp...not sure how that happened😊

It was actually in M2 configuration when I first saw it, so I returned it to M1 configuration before it got documented as an M2 (once a machinegun, always a machinegun according to the ATF).
[Linked Image]

My other one is an IBM, very similar to my Inland, nicely finished like yours. Both are just an absolute HOOT to shoot, always the rifles that everyone wants to shoot, especially my kids. I think when I’m gone, there will be a Holy War in the Gibson household over my Carbines. I’ll just have to get a couple more so each kid can have one…it’s the right thing to do.

Thanks for sharing the pic of yours. I have a special place in my heart for the little M1, and I always go a little weak in the knees when I see one as nice as yours.

GG, I'd say you're seeing pretty darn good, sir. You basically hit the nail on the head. One exception would be that mine had a small pitting spot on the top of the barrel, near the "1944" stamp. The re-park solved that problem, but the evidence is still there. The bore and the rest of the rifle is pristine. You are also correct in that the stock is virtually flawless.

This gun was originally bought as a Christmas gift to my Dad 12-15 years ago. He carried a chopped down M2 in the Sherman with him and once told me he had chopped the stock down so he could come out of the turret faster with the rifle ready to go. When I bought the rifle, it was purchased as a package deal that included what you see in this configuration (minus the extended mags and coupler), as well as a pristine paratrooper folding stock, paratrooper jump bag, 2 - 30 cal ammo cans stuffed with 10 and 20 rd magazines, stock magazine pouches (like the ones pictured on your gun), belt pouches, bayonet, and bandoliers.

A good friend of mine has a standing offer to buy just the gun or the entire package if I ever decide to sell. For just the gun, he offered a few hundred over double what I paid for the package many years ago, although I doubt I would ever sell because of the memories it holds, knowing how much my father loved this gun.

That is an absolutely beautiful example you have and I'm sure you're very proud to have it. No confusion here as to why the siblings desire to keep it and the IBM version. I believe the fact that they are such a blast to shoot adds to their collectability.

For further enjoyment, here is a pic of my Dad holding the rifle on that Christmas Day many years ago.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/14/17.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The implication is that you want something similar to an AR, but not an AR and you want something modern. I don't know if it's modern enough, but I'd go with an AK-74.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My first choice for a heavier cartridge is my SA M1A. It's relatively heavy but accurate and powerful. If you're looking at lighter cartridges, an AK with a folding stock and 922r compliant parts is a good option. Cheap and readily available ammo. Reliable.

As an AR alternative in 5.56 I chose a mildly customized Mini14. Traditional stock, high cap, cheap to feed, i can hit what i want with it. I'm happy with it.

Of course, I'm not sure why an AR wouldn't be your first choice given the aftermarket options and well sorted out functional reliability.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[Linked Image][/URL]

PRICELESS!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Of course, I'm not sure why an AR wouldn't be your first choice given the aftermarket options and well sorted out functional reliability.
Because I already have AR's.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The implication is that you want something similar to an AR, but not an AR and you want something modern. I don't know if it's modern enough, but I'd go with an AK-74.

I thought I was very clear on my implication; I'm looking to try something new...as in, from the newer generation of rifles such as the one's on the list I gave. (SCAR, BREN, etc.)

That said, I have to give an AK consideration because my kids are still pissed at me for selling my SGL-20. And a 74 does make some sense in the AK realm since I've never had one. Shot a bunch, and they're always fun, but I have never actually owned one. A nice side folding Arsenal wouldn't break my heart...and I might make points with the kids.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone should own at least one good AK. This old Bulgarian Arsenal SA93 is as good as they ever got. I have a rail with a DocterOptic dot sight, and a Surefire white light. Bulletproof.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now you guys got me really missing my old Russian SGL-20...the kids REALLY miss it. Damn kids are so spoiled.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
How about a Thomspon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am an AR guy and prefer them to AK's for just about every application. However, AK's are fun and cheap to shoot. I'd buy another.

[Linked Image]WASR AK47 by X Ring, on Flickr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.