Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry to hear about that, but it is understandable. Even very experienced shooters can have a "forgetful" moment. In fact, the more you shoot, the more chance there is for that to happen. I had an old Herter's .44 mag with a four inch barrel that was at the time by far the loudest firearm I'd ever shot. Didn't even have "hearing protection" back then in East Texas, I'm sure my hearing problems today got much of their start with that gun.

Mike

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If it's the 30 carbine decibels range, count me out for ever purchasing one.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by viking

That's a fact jack. the .460 is not even close to the .30 carbine Ruger I have in decibels. I do not even go after varmints without earplugs with the .30 carbine.

The .327 Federal S&W 632 I have is just as bad also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Other than the presiding discussion about noise that guns make, the .460 is a good option for some uses. There is no other hand gun out there that can deliver the fire power with controllability. The very good designed dual chamber compensator simply works. 8 or 9 (more with the Glock set up) shots of near .44 magnum power could be useful in a dangerous condition. Rare as that may be. All in a gun that weighs the same as a S&W Mountain gun. Carries all day in comfort.

It's best with the heavier bullets. Some of todays 185gr to 200gr jacketed bullets come apart at the speeds of the Rowland. 230grs. and up work fine. Heavy hard cast work the best I think. It is not for everyone, but every one should try it. It is a winner.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I guess the gang is small. Bump just in case anyone missed this thread but curious.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I see that 460rowland.com offers a conversion for the full size M&P. I wonder if that gun holds up any better without the comp. Either way, If I ever get my hand back into shape enough to handle that gun safely, I think I will give the 460 conversion a try. Might do it anyway, and just go "lefty".

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The comp is the key to making it work. It lowers the pressure down to .45 ACP +P pressures before barrel/slide disengagement. Wilson Combat's Hunter model for the .460 has a smaller comp.

Really, I have had no problems with the comp as far as carry on the farm and woods. Wear it all day.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gibby
The comp is the key to making it work. It lowers the pressure down to .45 ACP +P pressures before barrel/slide disengagement. Wilson Combat's Hunter model for the .460 has a smaller comp.

Really, I have had no problems with the comp as far as carry on the farm and woods. Wear it all day.

Thanks. Good to know.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

You might want to re-word that for people who don't really understand this stuff.

The comp does not lower pressure. It delays barrel/slide unlocking until pressures have dropped to reasonable levels, and prevents excessive rearward slide speed and frame battering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
The short Rowland case (compared to the 45 long colt) will not fully pressure up in the 45 long colt chambers.
I don't get that statement, can you elaborate?

And look, I know you hate my guts, but would it be possible for you to elaborate without calling me an idiot every 3rd sentence?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can still do stupid things at the age of 50.
They're even stupider at 50; because we should know better by then wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a fact jack. the .460 is not even close to the .30 carbine Ruger I have in decibels. I do not even go after varmints without earplugs with the .30 carbine.

Amazing the racket the .30 Carbine makes out of that revolver. Out of the rifle, it's downright mild, yet the revolver sounds like it's 90% flash/bang grenade.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

You might want to re-word that for people who don't really understand this stuff.

The comp does not lower pressure. It delays barrel/slide unlocking until pressures have dropped to reasonable levels, and prevents excessive rearward slide speed and frame battering.

I think the word "before" meant that. But thanks for putting it in a different way.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The short Rowland case (compared to the 45 long colt) will not fully pressure up in the 45 long colt chambers.

And look, I know you hate my guts, but would it be possible for you to elaborate without calling me an idiot every 3rd sentence?

Distance the bullet travels before it meets any resistance beyond the bullet pull of the case and momentum of the stationary bullet. Much longer than in the barrel of an automatic.

Your not an idiot.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Amazing the racket the .30 Carbine makes out of that revolver. Out of the rifle, it's downright mild, yet the revolver sounds like it's 90% flash/bang grenade.

Column length of the powder charge. Winchester ball was the spec powder. Win 296. Plus it operates close to 40K.

That is why the .327 Fed is so loud. The high pressure. Higher than the .357 mag.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

That is why the .460 has an edge over the .45 Super without the comp. Your right, some do not understand that. That is the exact reason Johnny R. designed the system. Not to tear up your 1911. Works great in others also.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=Gibby]You can still do stupid things at the age of 50.
They're even stupider at 50; because we should know better by then wink

Sometimes we forget.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Column length of the powder charge. Winchester ball was the spec powder. Win 296. Plus it operates close to 40K.

That is why the .327 Fed is so loud. The high pressure. Higher than the .357 mag.

Now this is from a feeble memory, but I don't think the military ever loaded with W296, I think 296 is just the first commercial powder to ever duplicate military velocities. The .30 carbine was first loaded with Dupont 4227, but then the military arbitrarily changed the powder/load and velocity requirements for a higher velocity to meet penetration requirements they...made up. Of course no one told the people who were making the rifles, and they were rather surprised when bolts started cracking, mostly on the right locking lug. The powder they changed to was a non-canister Dupont ball powder (I don't recall the number), and for many years no one could hit the full 1970fps military velocity spec until 296 became commercially available. I do recall that the Dupont powder was the primary powder, and I believe a Hercules powder was approved as a substitution, but it wasn't 4227 because in the heavier loadings 4227 was too bulky, and you couldn't get enough in the case to make the 1970fps spec.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks. I am not that old to know. Your modern go to powder for the carbine. Is W296 (H110) and AA#9. Burn rates fit the action. For the handgun many use a number of different powders. They are all loud in the revolver for sure.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The short Rowland case (compared to the 45 long colt) will not fully pressure up in t,he 45 long colt chambers.

Distance the bullet travels before it meets any resistance beyond the bullet pull of the case and momentum of the stationary bullet. Much longer than in the barrel of an automatic.

Gibby is spot on!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.