Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Has anyone ever travelled from the USA to Joburg via business class on Qatar Airlines? If so, can you please comment on the experience?

Thank You.

BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Quite a few trips from US to Doha, Qatar, but not to Joburg. Not exactly what you asked, but I've found it to be a good airline. I flew South African to Joburg and it was definitely a level below Qatar airlines, although still tolerable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
Quite a few trips from US to Doha, Qatar.

Concur. Done that trip and one to Dubai three times in business class on Qatar. Very nice with good service and very nice seats. Vast majority of their pilots are western expats. Yes, that does make a difference to me.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Vast majority of their pilots are western expats. Yes, that does make a difference to me.

Having endured TRYING to train students from that AOR both in the air and on the ground, I SHOULD SAY HELL YEAH it makes a difference!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Went to Zim on a DG hunt in April. Flew Qatar business class. American Airlines to Miami. Then about 14 hours to get to Doha on Qatar. 8 hour layover in Doha, Then Doha to Joberg (another 8 hours). Three hour layover in Joberg then SAA to Harare (2 hours). Overnight at the Meikles hotel in Harare. Met by my PH in the morning and then an 8 hour drive to camp. My wife flew Qatar business class to Cape Town a week later, where she was met by friends for a bit of a vacation. The plan was for me to meet her in South Africa after my hunt was done.

AA and Qatar are both One World partners, so the flight on AA was in first class. All travel on Qatar Airlines was in relatively new 777's. No first class seating, but business class was quite comfortable with lie flat seats, which the flight attendant made into a bed and slippers on the trip to Doha. Food and wine were quite good. Drinks were generous. Service was beyond excellent. Flight attendants were mostly South Koreans or Brits who were very well trained and tried hard to make you comfortable.

The 8 hour layover in Doha was a bit of a PITA after such a long flight, but the business class lounge was huge, modern and well staffed. Food and drinks were free. There was a "quiet area" with roomettes and showers in the lounge where you could sleep, shower and change. Free WiFi. Food was OK, but not great in the lounge. They did mix a decent Martini, though.

Flight to Joberg was comfortable, but they did not make your lie flat seat into a bed and there were no slippers.

Rifle import was a snap. Gracy Travel met me upon arrival in Joberg both ways and walked me through the entire process in no time flat. Their VIP meet and greet is well worth the small additional cost. Rifle transport was no problem. Qatar wanted to see the SAPS form when departing Miami, so bring a copy with you. They also wanted to see the Form 4457 upon returning to the USA. Bring several copies of your SAPS form, passport face page and Form 4457 as you will save time by providing them with copies rather than waiting for them to make copies when you check in.

Flew to Harare business class on SAA. Recommend doing this so there is no issue about what you can take as carryons. They are very liberal with carryons if you are in business class. Customs, immigration and rifle import at Harare International was hassle free.

Meikles hotel in Harare was excellent. Very comfortable, modern room with TV and WiFI. Excellent restaurant. Very good, courteous service. Secure vault to store your rifle overnight.

On the way back, flew Harare to Joberg on SAA. Another Gracy Travel VIP meet and greet. Gracy had a gun dealer meet me at the SAPS office in Joberg to store my .470 while I travelled on to George to meet my wife and friends for a week of vacation in the Moussel Bay area and then on to their farm in the West Cape. The airport at George does not accept firearms, so you must leave your rifle in Joberg if you intend to fly.

On return, flew George to Joberg, where we were again met by Gracy Travel. Overnighted at the airport City Lodge hotel, as usual. It is quite comfortable. Gun dealer met us in SAPS office the next morning and returned my rifle. Gracy put us on the Qatar flight to Doha for the return trip. Again, we were very comfortable. The only fly in the ointment was the 8 hour layover in Doha. Also, due to new TSA regulations, you must put your laptop, IPad or Kindle in checked baggage when returning to the USA. They will provide business class passengers with a laptop on the return trip, but there is no WiFi on the airplane, so it is quite useless. My recommendation is to buy a book to read on the return trip, though they do have a good selection of videos and movies to watch.

I have flown a number of airlines to Africa in past years. Qatar is one of the best I have travelled on. Newer airplanes than SAA or Delta and better food and service. The seating in business class on Delta is a bit better, but we were still quite comfortable on Qatar. I highly recommend both the airline and Gracy Travel for African journeys. Again, the 8 hour layover in Doha is a bit of a pain, but the business class lounge makes the layover less onerous.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice recap. Thank you

Do or do not, there is no try.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the report. Sounds like things went off quite well. Lots of logistics in all those connections!

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
After today's news of Qatar being a sponsor of terrorism, I withdraw my recommendation of their national airline and will not be flying them again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Vast majority of their pilots are western expats. Yes, that does make a difference to me.

Having endured TRYING to train students from that AOR both in the air and on the ground, I SHOULD SAY HELL YEAH it makes a difference!

I second that. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I hear the big problem is that most don't stay for the class on landing the plane.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
After today's news of Qatar being a sponsor of terrorism, I withdraw my recommendation of their national airline and will not be flying them again.

It's not quite as clear cut as that. Some interesting stuff going on over there and the other gulf nations are really making a point that they are unhappy that Qatar is pursuing some different international policies than the other nations. There's even some aspects of false news driving it. Time will tell. No doubt all of the gulf nations have a certain amount of culpability in terrorism even if it's just not policing their own subjects.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.