Hop To
#12041771 05/19/17
R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
We always have a lot of Turkeys, and Quail, every year I am always happy to see their chicks, saw my first Quail chicks this morning and my first Turkey chicks yesterday morning, and we have little Blacktail Jackrabbits, over runnin the ranch, fun time of year, Rio7

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was discing down some rough spots in a field, so we could plant it in soybeans, and saw a turkey hen come out of a fencerow and start scratching around. Figured she must have a nest nearby, so I didn't do too much to that end of the field, as I didn't want to upset her. Haven't seen any little turkeys here yet, as it's probably too early. But, they did mate earlier this spring than usual, and nested sooner, so there are probably some out there. I love seeing turkey chicks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just came in for lunch but had to sit on the tractor for a few minutes after I turned it off listening to the quail. That simple "bob-white" call will make me grin like a kid in a candy store.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have Scaled Quail here and have had a bunch of birds the last couple years with all the moisture. Not unusual to see 20+ coveys around.

I let the little dogs out to pee yesterday morning and heard quail calling over by the barn, love to hear them. We have wild Elderberry's around and the birds love them. A little early for the berry's, probably picking up grain in the corral.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Just came in for lunch but had to sit on the tractor for a few minutes after I turned it off listening to the quail. That simple "bob-white" call will make me grin like a kid in a candy store.

I used to hear them in all directions this time of year. That's a rarity now, as I hardly ever hear one, let alone see one. Had one around here for a couple of years that had the most unusual whistle. I referred to him as being a tongue tied quail. I would whistle "bob-white", and get them to answer back. I've called them right up into the yard.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No turkey chicks spotted yet, they usually don't start coming around until June. Both the Mallards and Wood ducks have chicks already. They we're both startled by a human sighting when they, mama, and papa went for a swim in the stream. The mallards weren't too frightened, but the wood ducks freaked right out. They're still skittish around humans after all these years of nesting in the same place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in downtown Frog Level, so other than the resident geese, unless I go out of town, I dont usually see any game birds. However, the other day a lone quail whistled for 30 min or just across the street from my house. First one I've heard around here in years.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
RIO7 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Oldman, when you have what sounds like a lone bird. it's usually a covey call and there's more birds in that locality. I have used covey calls to locate coveys, Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Been working on the olive farm here that I manage. Totally covered up with quail the past week. Lots of bobwhite pairs. If they make a covey for every pair, there's going to be lots of birds.

Yesterday I saw half a dozen fawns. New ones. One got around pretty well. The rest were still clumsy and wobbly.

Supposed to get some good rain today and tomorrow. Hope that it does. We sure can use it!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have Calif. Quail here. They're paired up but I haven't seen any little Walnuts running around yet.
Shouldn't be long though.

Turkeys are done showing off and nesting.

Wettest spring I've seen since I moved here 13 years ago....some say that's hard on game birds....we'll see.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yesterday I saw half a dozen fawns. New ones. One got around pretty well. The rest were still clumsy and wobbly.

Saw my first fawn here yesterday, Unfortunately, it was not good for the fawn. I think it must have been following it's mother, when it came to a fence. I suspect the doe jumped the fence, and the fawn couldn't get through it. It was lying down beside the fence, just about gone when I found it. I moved it across the fence to a wooded area, and it still had enough life left in it to bleat a little bit. But, a few hours later when I looked in on it in, it was dead. Might have been the next "booner", you never know.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm hearing lots of bob whites....not seen any chicks yet tho...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like FG, the quail here are paired up for awhile now but not peeps yet, no pheasant chicks either.
Goslings are around and a neighbor saw a hatchling killdeer the other day.

Saw my first spotted fawn today also, along the highway from John Day OR to Pendleton. Judging by its instability on standing I'm guess it was brand new.

Spring is officially here now!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I saw a lot of baby Killdeer in the alfalfa today when looking to see if all the weevils were gone. The geese have goslings with them now so the mink, coons, and house cats will be eating well the next few weeks. There are no sign of the Hungarian Partridge that usually are around the farm. Lots of doves though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The canadian geese and hordes of goslings are out in force right now. In fact, they just caused the first "traffic jam" I've ever seen over by our new fire house. Seriously, like, four cars had to wait for them to cross the street.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.