Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Starman, I cant help it. Im a sinner. However, i dont have to be an anti-American liberal commie.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's some good, and some bad comments in this thread...

Common sense needs to prevail though.

There are some people that I would never question if they picked up a scoped rifle to make a determination on an animal before shooting it, (or not shooting it).

And then there are those people I wouldn't want to be any closer than 5 miles from if they even had a rifle in their hands.

Personally, I never point a weapon at anything that I'm not 100% sure I could live with killing. Doesn't mean I will kill it... It just means I know what it is with certainty beforehand.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
This^^^.,

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
There are some people that I would never question if they picked up a scoped rifle to make a determination on an animal before shooting it, (or not shooting it).

There's a huge difference between pointing your rifle at an animal you've already seen and have a tag for vs. "scanning" or looking for game.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I appreciate the responses, and keep them coming. The link below will help explain why I was so curious what you guys think (except for that repugnant dolt starman).

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...ifle/Hunting_Safety_Qeustion#Post6784365

When responding, keep in mind I'm not talking about picking up your scoped rifle to "size up" a buck after you've already seen him with your naked eye or binocs. I'm talking about randomly picking up your LOADED,scoped rifle when you decide to scan across the ground you're hunting for game instead of doing the job with binoculars.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The rules of firearm safety are irrefutable and absolute, not situational. Anyone who argues otherwise proves themselves unqualified to opine. For starfish, I dryfire several times / week and POA is my safe or my brick fireplace, it is not that hard to think these things through when you actually do things rather than talk crap.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

There's a huge difference between pointing your rifle at an animal you've already seen and have a tag for vs. "scanning" or looking for game.

Indeed there is.

If someone is just glassing with a loaded rifle, they need to have their hunting privileges revoked.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen many people (myself included) who must set out intending to shoot the sky (or some distant object on a given trajectory) or the Earth somewhere in front of, to the side, or behind them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Personally, I never point a weapon at anything that I'm not 100% sure I could live with killing. Doesn't mean I will kill it... It just means I know what it is with certainty beforehand.
+1

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I appreciate the responses, and keep them coming. The link below will help explain why I was so curious what you guys think (except for that repugnant dolt starman).

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...ifle/Hunting_Safety_Qeustion#Post6784365

When responding, keep in mind I'm not talking about picking up your scoped rifle to "size up" a buck after you've already seen him with your naked eye or binocs. I'm talking about randomly picking up your LOADED,scoped rifle when you decide to scan across the ground you're hunting for game instead of doing the job with binoculars.

HOLY SCHIT !!!

The responses on that forum put the Freak Show to shame. This is one of the better ones.

"If glassing for animals is the same as seeing a sounder pulling up my rifle and picking out which one is the alpha female with my rifle scope then yes I am OK with aiming my rifle at the other pigs in the sounder that I dont intend to shoot first or at all. No Problem!!! "

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
This thread should quickly morph into a hot chamber vs. cold chamber thread.

Then we'll have fun!

shocked laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Saw this exact thing done on one of the Reality shows within the last week or two[Yukon Men maybe].
Was shocked that no one had the foresight to at least edit it out.
Guessing I shouldn't be.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I didn't buy 3k dollar binoculars to glass with a scope. I'm with Jag, I've used one for a quick glance, before it could be too late..I wouldn't glass people with an unloaded rifle.

I don't buy 3K binoculars either. smile. Mine are more like $300. Or less.

That said, ditto. I'll scope already identified game if marginal for using glasses first, then taking the shot, but glassing is for glasses.

If I ever see anyone scoping me, I'm liable to hit the ground and shoot back first, holding just a little wide.

Agreed. How the heck would I know your bolt is open, when you are some unknown guy aiming a rifle at me? You are an immediate threat to my safety..
Edit: I would not shoot first unless I had some reason to think he was trying to kill me, not just stupid.

Last edited by kellory; 06/06/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do you consider it safe to use a rifle scope, on a loaded rifle, instead of binoculars or a spotting scope when glassing for game animals?

Depends ... "ish." I will look at an animal that I've already identified as one I'd be willing to kill with the scope as I make the final decision whether to kill it or not. I will not use the scope to "glass" to locate something to shoot at. In other words, I'm not using the scope to scan the terrain or even to decide if something I've seen is a legal critter or not, but I will make the final choice about pulling the trigger on something I've determined to be legal to kill through the scope.

Hope that difference is clear.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It has been argued that using a rifle scope is perfectly safe and OK for scanning/glassing for game, rather than using binoculars. One excuse I've heard is that even though the rifle is loaded, it has an open bolt so it is ok.

Do you consider it safe to use a rifle scope, on a loaded rifle, instead of binoculars or a spotting scope when glassing for game animals?

Why or why not?

So long as you have no problem with me looking back at you with a round in the chamber we will get along just fine.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Starman

Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Starman

I wonder how many people dry fire and/or shoulder a rifle to look through the scope in the home den or back shed..
all while the muzzle is pointed art something they don't intend to shoot.

Those are the stupid people you just mentioned!

Question,...do you think the majority of people with snap-caps for their pistols and shotguns dry fire at home or only
at the safety of a designated range?

I have no doubt that there are those who say 'don't glass with the scope'..but will point and dry-fire firearms at home,
and in all likelihood have also swept people with the muzzle while hunting.

Sorry, acting like this is a measure of stupidity and irresponsibility, is well, stupid.

Everyday I jump in my truck and back out the driveway and head down the road. That truck has the possibility of creating 10's of thousands in damage as well as death. But I have eyes, legs, and arms to control the throttle, brake, and steering to avoid that. But the truck has several things beyond my control....what if the brakes fail, the steering column breaks, or the throttle sticks? I have no real control over failure, yet I drive it everyday.

A gun on the other hand I can control it's potential for damage. If I have cleared the action and verified it is empty several times the moment before I close the action and point it at a wall and dry fire it, then it CANNOT harm anyone or anything, ever. It's impossible. Do you sit at a 4 way stop sign all day with your wife and kids in the car? Or after you have checked both ways and verified nothing is coming, do you proceed through the intersection????? Simple question isn't it??

I'm safety conscious all the time with all things firearms. When reloading I will read out loud the powder brand and number I'm looking at in the book, then the powder can I'm holding in my hand, then the book again. Only the powder I'm using is ever out on the bench.

If I cannot trust what my arms and hands have just done with the action on a firearm, and what my eyes have verified more than once, then I shouldn't own a gun period, and for the love of God should never carry a gun out hunting. And even worse I should most certainly never ever crawl in a vehicle and head down the road.

Intentionally pointing the muzzle at a person, or even in the direction of a person is a whole other issue.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope. Had it done to me once and it's not a good feeling. I was sitting against a tree watching a spike bull elk who was drinking from a small stream about about ten yards from me when I heard two idiots sitting on the top of a ridge I had been keeping an eye on start chattering. Sure enough they both started glassing him with their rifles and from their angle I was right behind him. I ended up yelling and scaring him off before I got shot (spikes weren't even legal but I didn't like a rifle being pointed in my direction) and the dumbazzes were pizzed and started screaming why did I scare off their elk. Public land near Craig, CO...they weren't the only idiots I ran into...never again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
It has been argued that using a rifle scope is perfectly safe and OK for scanning/glassing for game, rather than using binoculars. One excuse I've heard is that even though the rifle is loaded, it has an open bolt so it is ok.

Why or why not?

So long as you have no problem with me looking back at you with a round in the chamber we will get along just fine.

Good one. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I finally solved this little problem by strapping my binos to the top of my scope. So now I don't ever have to use the scope to scan for anything anymore.

Should keep everyone happy.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well, whoever argued that it's ok, should get punched in the dick.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.