Print Thread
Hop To
#12025421 05/10/17
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Say you were going to do a beef rump roast, how would you do it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very slowly in my Copper Chef with a digital thermometer. They are always a crap shoot as you are just as likely to get one that has seemingly been raised for its sinew content as one that has been raised for consumption.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
No crap shoot here John, we raised the roast.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I should have known that - enjoy! smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love rumps !

blush

Great flavour, particularly if grass fed.

I normally cut into steaks, then use for stroganoff or such !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would put it in the smoker/cooker for a few hours at 250F. Then I would put it in the pressure cooker with potatoes, onion, and carrots with a little beef broth for 20 minutes. The beef should melt in your mouth.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We throw them in the slow cooker, a couple of cans of beef consume, a small can of tomato sauce, a couple of bay leafs then water just covering. We feed in carrots, potatoes and celery at the appropriate time. Meat should be "forkable". Take the meat and veggies out, take a cup or so of the juice out and mix in whatever thickener you prefer then dump it back in the cooker. Stir it around to reach your desired thickness and pour in a bowl then chow.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We put the roast in a metal roasting pan with lid. Add in potatoes, carrots, seasoning, small amount of water(1 cup), and slice a whole large onion and put on top. Cook in oven at 220 deg til it falls apart(around 8 hours or more if larger roast). Never had one turn out bad. My wife likes to add cream of mushroom soup but I don't like that. The key to it coming out tender is low and slow, it will break down and fall apart guaranteed.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sear it in a cast iron dutch oven on all sides. Leave the fat side UP and add about an inch of water but salt and pepper heavily. Cook on med/low for about an hour, covered. Check water level and if it is below 1/2 inch add more. Use a big fork to check for doneness. After another 30-45 min, it should be to the point that it will begin to tear easily (depending on the size of the roast). When it get to this stage, remove it to a plate and cover with tin foil. In a measuring cup, put 1/4 cup of ap flour and add about a cup of cold water. Stir until mixed and then pour into the pan drippings. Bring to boil and let simmer until a nice gravy.

My favorite meal with white rice and fresh green beans. Bon appitite'

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baltimore Pt Beef sammies. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Oh my !

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017325-baltimore-pit-beef-sandwich

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I read this recipe here somewhere.

Cover roast in Tony Chachere, put in slow cooker with nothing else (no liquid) on low. When you're able to shred it and put on tortillas with onions and cilantro!

I've made this several times and its awesome, it cooks fine with no added liquid and shreds perfectly. Not sure how you finish your beef but the roasts I used where from cows finished on corn.

Good luck!

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
764 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 93 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.