-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You may be right on the 20 foot root depth lol. Long term it is their best bet if they can get deep enough. Those watering bags look really cool. May try a few of those out. Trying to keep them planted within easy hose distance of the house but the bags would open things up for me.

There is probably a reason I don't see any growing around here but I am up for an attempt anyway. After living in MO, IN, IL, and OH, I do miss the big ole oak trees being around.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Checked them yesterday, and they are from 14"-18" tall already. I imagine I had 85-90% success with the acorns I planted numbering probably 300. It is going to be epic.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the success. It will be epic if they all make it.

On another note, the Nativ Nurseries/Mossy Oak seedlings arrived via UPS. Look super healthy. If they don't make it, it is due to my climate or me. I'd recommend them if anyone needs oak seedlings.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
30338 They will be under a lot less stress if you plant them late winter/early spring next year... if you don't get a lot of water on them soon after you put them in the ground, they will become stressed.

Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Planted and will water every other day. Fingers crossed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Checked them yesterday, and they are from 14"-18" tall already. I imagine I had 85-90% success with the acorns I planted numbering probably 300. It is going to be epic.
Did you tube or cage them? Deer seem to LOVE to chew on oak seedlings...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Did you tube or cage them? Deer seem to LOVE to chew on oak seedlings...

Mine are completely enclosed in heavy tomato cages and chicken wire. @30 of them.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I tubed about 50 saplings in December. I planted several hundred acorns that are thriving. Our deer have so much to eat that is better than trees, they leave them alone

Will Rogers
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have planted 100s maybe 1000's of trees and what I found out that really helps is inoculating the roots with Mycoryzhia. Here is one source:
http://www.fungi.com/

Especial here in Texas we will typically see 90% die off of un-irrigated saplings planted. With the fungi and a little rain I have gotten success rates of 50-100%.
I water it in to buckets of saplings in tubes and wait till I can see the fungi before planting. Many of the State Forresters have gone to this so I don't think it is Voodoo it's been proven too many times.

The Fungi is adaptable but best to get from local sources. The ones with funky names like dead mans toe or dog turd mushroom are the Glamaris species you want.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Along the same lines, has anyone had any luck with chestnuts? If so please offer up the pre-plant treatments. Chinese, as I know our American chestnut is toast.

Sending you a PM. We are planting American Chestnut "mother trees" right now at our camp. The American Chestnut Foundation https://www.acf.org/ is developing a blight resistant strain that they will graft to our seedlings later on.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 06/25/17.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
I want to find a good source for some White oaks. That is deer candy. Also, easier to grow than red oaks, which require 1000hrs at @40° half in/half out of the ground, on thier side, to germinate. And that is after the float test. White oaks germinate just about as soon as the acorn stops bouncing.....

Sawtooth oaks are white oaks. I am told that all oaks are either white oak or red oak with different varieties in each class. Sawtooth seems very hardy. Louisiana Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry sell seedlings in the winter. Not sure if they sell out of state.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by kellory
I want to find a good source for some White oaks. That is deer candy. Also, easier to grow than red oaks, which require 1000hrs at @40° half in/half out of the ground, on thier side, to germinate. And that is after the float test. White oaks germinate just about as soon as the acorn stops bouncing.....

Sawtooth oaks are white oaks. I am told that all oaks are either white oak or red oak with different varieties in each class. Sawtooth seems very hardy. Louisiana Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry sell seedlings in the winter. Not sure if they sell out of state.

Thank you, but there are more than 60 variety of oaks in North America, and most of them can be divided into red oaks and white oaks. (Whites germinate in one year, reds in two years).

https://owlcation.com/stem/Types-of-Oak-Trees-with-pictures-of-bark

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you want another fast growing oak, try the Nuttall oak. They like wet areas such as lowlands or river bottoms that floor. I have 2 in my yard, planted 4 years ago and one is 8ft tall. The other is only 4ft thanks to the deer eating it! Most usfs offices have a source of all kinds of tree saplings.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
OK - the Sawtooth acorns are just starting to fall hard now. Several of you had asked me by pm, to remind you about picking up some acorns to plant. I picked up a few gallons of acorns in 15 minutes and am going to repeat the process... just one way we can give back.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 09/08/17.

Will Rogers
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
OK - the Sawtooth acorns are just starting to fall hard now. Several of you had asked me by pm, to remind you about picking up some acorns to plant. I picked up a few gallons of acorns in 15 minutes and am going to repeat the process... just one way we can give back.

sawtooth oaks, aka japanese redoaks in some circles are a wonderful source of food for wildlife. i've grown them out and about for years. a pasture planted full of them will fatten quite a hog herd. there's a much smaller variety of the same species that are geared specifically for a turkey food source.

some people raise an eyebrow because they're not a native species. that fact has never really bothered me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hmmm something for my Brother to do when the Pine Plantation behind his house gets cleared by Irma early next week. He has been talking about planting sawtooth oaks for a while as well as putting out a food plot or two.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Live oaks grow very fast here in Texas. Lots of acorns.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by 1minute
Along the same lines, has anyone had any luck with chestnuts? If so please offer up the pre-plant treatments. Chinese, as I know our American chestnut is toast.
Look up Dunstan chestnuts. They are a popular variety folks are planting.

Though probably of mostly local interest, the USFS is trying to get some chestnuts back on the landscape. They are hybrids. I hope to check out a few of these project areas this fall/winter.

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2011/05/13/american-chestnut-trees-return-hoosier-national-forest

The Blandy farm, home of the VA State Arboretum, has a chesnut recovery program. They cross Chinese with American, then cross the strongest to American again, hoping for a mostly American, blight-resistant strain. The hybrids live long enough to put out some nuts, then get sick and croak. We used to collect a few there every year, but now they have signs up. No matter, my vet has a bunch of Chinese trees and lets my Yellow Peril collect all she wants. Got a bunch yesterday, in fact, after an appointment.

My next-door neighbor has a sawtooth tree, and it grew pretty big pretty fast. Got some funky acorns, too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 673, 13 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.