Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Leaning towards a CZ What are the other choices? Browning T bolt, Anshultz, Savage any others?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have both the Savage and the CZ 452. I take the CZ the most. The build quality is great and the price is right. I would recommend getting the CZ!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Savage will be the best value as judged by cost vs. accuracy, but the CZ is a much better looking rifle. My two lefty bolts are a Remington 581L that is butt ugly, but shoots lights out and a Browning T Bolt synthetic that is also amazingly accurate.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a savage in 22 mag and just didn't warm up to it. Cut coils off the trigger spring and honed it up so it worked pretty well but the looks just didn't do it for me. It was plenty accurate and took several turkeys and other critters but it didn't stay too long. A 581 I think would be worth re-stocking but then it isn't a bargain rifle anymore.

By best buy I mean value for the dollar not cheapest. Anschults or cooper or NULA are tempting and good value but not cheap.

Last edited by Tejano; 06/08/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
On the new market, CZ is probably the easiest to get along with. T-Bolts are awesome, but the triggers need a new spring made.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
The Savage will be the best value as judged by cost vs. accuracy, but the CZ is a much better looking rifle. My two lefty bolts are a Remington 581L that is butt ugly, but shoots lights out and a Browning T Bolt synthetic that is also amazingly accurate.

Another vote for the LH Rem 581. Find the sub-sonic HP's that it likes, and go kill stuff. Mine is right at 5 lbs with Leupold 4x Rimfire scope and suppressor.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CZ 452 American. I would rate it a "Best Buy".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CZ 452 is going be hard to beat for the price, doubt it can be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i have a savage in 17hmr. Been wanting a 22 mag in same.

pretty good value I think. $275 range if i recall correctly

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hope you are right. Just got the call, from the dealer. It is in, pick it up this evening. First CZ.

You all are a bad influence.

Originally Posted by Borchardt

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an Anschutz. Great shooter with a very good trigger right out of the box. At the time it was competively priced with the CZ,. Not sure what they go for today, that was probably 15 years ago. Time goes go by quickly...

Last edited by TwoTrax; 06/09/17.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Had a Savage that had problems. Been shooting a LH 452 American for 5-6 years. Best buy.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks CZ is the front runner but on hold for now till I finish building two other Lefties.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Over here the RH CZ452's came in a variety of models and prices. The cheaper ones were stocked in walnut stained birch with plastic mags and had a bead blasted finish whereas more pricey models came with checkered walnut stocks, steel mags and polished metal work. The LH CZ's here only came in the higher spec. I have one and like it. Great accuracy but average trigger. I fitted a Timney, trigger shoe and used CZ premium rings. The only issue is the backwards safety.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had both a CZ 452A and T-bolt. Still have the T-bolt. It has a better fit for me, is perfect with a gloss M8 4X and a joy to shoot.

YMMV

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Borchardt

This.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 25aught6
I've had both a CZ 452A and T-bolt. Still have the T-bolt. It has a better fit for me, is perfect with a gloss M8 4X and a joy to shoot.

YMMV

I would do this if I could have the T-Bolt I shot as a kid. Belgian made super grade with really nice wood. Been looking for another but almost never see them for sale.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My son is a lefty through and through. When he was about 9 years old I bought him a Remington 581L which he shot probably about 10K rounds in just a few years and that rifle would, and probably still could, shoot tiny groups. In the years that followed he has added to his left hand bolt action with one Ruger 77, a few Remington's, a Mauser 243 and a few others that comprise a very nice collection. I am very proud that he never traded any lefties away and probably never will.

What did he choose for his shotgun? A Winchester 1400 L which is his gun for little furry and feathered targets. I could not begin to give a tally on rounds fired through that shotgun. Its annual dove hunt will be here in a few months and it is very seldom that he doesn't limit out long before me. Of course I use my age and vision as defense against his ability. Wait until he's 76 years old, then we'll see how that Winchester is working.

"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expu�ry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've owned several of the Savage Mark I/II/93R series rifles. Nice rifles and they all shot great, but the magazines left a lot to be desired and the extraction can get spotty after a few years requiring a new spring clip.

Currently own two CZ's, a 452 Lux 22LR and a 452 American 17HMR. Both shoot exceptionally well and I'm very happy with them. My only complaint with CZ is that they seem to be slowly eliminating their LH offerings. What they do still offer is very limited production and hard to find, and the rimfires are outdated by about 5-6 years now compared to the updated 455's the righty's get.

Picked up a LH Browning T-Bolt Match/Varmint 22LR a couple years ago and it's my favorite 22 to shoot. It will consistently shoot five shot groups in the mid to high .2's at 50 yards when I do my part with Eley Club.

The factory trigger on the Browning and the CZ's are about the same at around 3-lbs. I do feel the Browning is a little crisper and has a cleaner break though.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.