Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I picked one up through Simpsons. Stock is cracked but bluing on action and barrel is very good.

I have a B&C Medalist for a Mauser 96 that I thought would work with only minor adjustment, but it doesn't seem that way.

Then I tried the 1640 in a wood Interarms Mark X stock and it seemed pretty close to fitting. If I go this way am just looking at bedding around the small ring to fill the gap and then a little work for the safety? I would just use Interarms or similar bottom metal and not mess with trying to fit the 1640 bottom metal into the 98 stock.

I did see that Ricards MF has semi-inletted for HVA for about $100.

Please tell me if I am missing something about fitting the action into a 98 LR stock. Plan is to eventually rebarrel to 25-06, but despite warnings I will shoot the donor.

Thanks,
Kent

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've bought a couple of HVA stocks via eBay in the last year, one was a Husqvarna take-off and the other was a S&W "C" take-off. I strongly dislike RMF stocks and would probably try to rehab the original stock before going with anything from Richards.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can adapt a 98 stock to fit the 1640 but the bottom metal off a Mk X won't fit. A 96 stock won't work because the action screw spacing is shorter.

A stock made for a small ring standard length 98, like the G33/40, would be a much better choice, fewer gaps to fill with bedding compound.

You might consider having the original stock duplicated.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Kent,
I put my 1640 (S&W) in a Choate stock for a LR M98. Won't be much help to you in that mine is a blind magazine and there are steps that need taken that you won't have to deal with in the stocks you mention such as cutting out for the bolt handle. You probably will have to modify for the bolt release. I had to take a bit out for the trigger but mine is different than yours. As far as a space around the ring goes there is one but not bad enough that I bothered to fill it in. Mine is used as a beater so if your looking to end up with something more refined unless you go with an original choose your aftermarket stock carefully.

Earl

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/09/17.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Sounds like watching for one on ebay maybe the best option.

Curious as to why the Mark X bottom metal wouldn't work if I was using a 98 stock, seemed like a little grinding on the back tang (part that sticks up into the action) and it would be a match.

Thanks,
Kent

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or you could just order a McMillan to fit it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
^^^ that. An exceptional action deserves an exceptional stock.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kfbarter
Sounds like watching for one on ebay maybe the best option.

Curious as to why the Mark X bottom metal wouldn't work if I was using a 98 stock, seemed like a little grinding on the back tang (part that sticks up into the action) and it would be a match.

Thanks,
Kent

Cuz, though the hole spacing is the same, the box positions aren't. Just like all five lug wheels won't necessarily bolt onto all five lug axles.

Put the units side by side and compare.

Here, see for yourself:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Or you could just order a McMillan to fit it.

Originally Posted by EZEARL
^^^ that. An exceptional action deserves an exceptional stock.

Say it three times!

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I said it three times, opened my wallet and it was still empty. Must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for all the expertise. Short term gonna find a used stock. Long term, when I get around to rebarreling, I might step up and go McMillan.

Anyone need a B&C Medalist for a Mauser 96? It'll be in the classifieds today.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forth time! 👍

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I said it three times, opened my wallet and it was still empty. Must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for all the expertise. Short term gonna find a used stock. Long term, when I get around to rebarreling, I might step up and go McMillan.

Kent

Pay once, cry once. I'd wait till you come up with the money for the McMillan. No sense in dropping $100 on a BC then $100 on a Richards, and so on and so forth.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Kent

Pay once, cry once. I'd wait till you come up with the money for the McMillan. No sense in dropping $100 on a BC then $100 on a Richards, and so on and so forth.

+1.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I sent you an email, I happen to have a take off stock from an HVA. It has a repair at the tang, but is a serviceable stock. I had planned to use it for a pattern, but I'm a long ways off from starting that project.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW

That stock came off a JC Higgins model 51-L. Used a Husqvarna 1640 action and High Standard barrel. The barrel channel is decidedly different than a factory Husqvarna barrel. But, the action and ALUMINUM bottom metal will fit.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks. Gonna see if I can't get lucky on Ebay or GB over the summer.

Seems like some I have seen have more drop at the comb than others.

Kent

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.