Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a fast twist hurt accuracy

Case in point. 6BR. Stiller. Bartlein. 1/4" at 200 yds. Both with 66 gr Match bullets, and 105 Amax.

I had a 6TCU done in 12" and later regretted. That was pre-6BRs. My first was a 12. Every BR after that was an 8

In 22, 6, or 6.5 - personally I will always use an 8T. Just my .02.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot so many 52 gr. bullets out of a 1-8 twist 223 back in the day you could fill a tuff box with the empty bullet containers. Never had one fail to reach the 200 yard line and were very accurate to boot. Go with the 1-8 , you'll not be sorry you did.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You seem to have a lot of experts here who have firm and differing opinions. Here is what I know...

I have shot .22 cal. benchrest rifles in competition since 1977. For 50 to 52 gr. bullets I have always used a 1 - 14" twist. I'm currently making a .222 gun for competition and it has a new Douglas barrel in 1 - 14" twist. The 14" twist works perfectly in a duece at 3200 fps and, also, in my favorite BR cartridge, the .22 PPC, .100" short, at 3500 fps.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A purpose built benchrest rifle and ammunition loaded to an appropriate standard, all being fired from a competition rest and bags, may be able to resolve the precision advantage of using "just enough" twist with a specific bullet. I sincerely doubt a sporter weight/configuration rifle could resolve that fine difference, and it will miss the flexibility afforded by a tighter twist.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 1-8 .223 that dotes on 50 v-max for its varmint load. It's pushing the 50 harder than a .222 would, and I haven't had one come apart in mid-air that I can tell. With the 1-8 though, I also get the option of 65, 75, and 80grn.

Really like the looks of that 6x45.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
What elkhunternm and wyocoyotehunter said -

1-12 for the bullet weights you are planning to shoot.

drover

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a 222 I built with a factory 12 twist Remington barrel that shoots 52's like a BR rifle.

Also have a Tika T3 14 Twist that I shoot 40's with.

If I want to shoot heavier 224 bullets I have a CZ 9 twist in 223.

I also had a 22BR that I built with a 14 twist Pac Nor barrel...it stabelized 52's just fine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I recently had a similar dilemma. I wanted a .22 centerfire on a 0.378" boltface. My initial choice was the .222 Rem & a 1-12" twist, but a few years ago Kansas made .22 centerfires legal for deer hunting. So I changed my cartridge choice to .222 Rem Mag for the additional velocity and ordered a Lilja 6 groove 1-10" barrel so I could shoot heavier bullets. I don't envision ever using this rifle for long range target work, so won't be shooting the 70-80 grainers which need more spin.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by mathman
A purpose built benchrest rifle and ammunition loaded to an appropriate standard, all being fired from a competition rest and bags, may be able to resolve the precision advantage of using "just enough" twist with a specific bullet. I sincerely doubt a sporter weight/configuration rifle could resolve that fine difference, and it will miss the flexibility afforded by a tighter twist.

That's exactly what I had... I used my guns for competition and I was dead serious. Had I used a more versatile twist, I would have got results that would never let me win anything. I was only interested in the smallest possible groups at the 100 and 200 yd. ranges at which we competed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright

That's exactly what I had... I used my guns for competition and I was dead serious. Had I used a more versatile twist, I would have got results that would never let me win anything. I was only interested in the smallest possible groups at the 100 and 200 yd. ranges at which we competed.

And that's exactly not what the OP was talking about.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I will have to disagree with you mathman, the 222Rem with a 1-14" twist shooting 40 to 52 grain bullets is one of the most accurate combo's you will find. At present I have two of them, one is fully custom built on a 40X action the other is an off the rack CZ527. they are the 2 most accurate rifles I own (there may be days when my 6ppc might shoot a better group) they will easily out shoot any of my 223's. If you want the flexibility afforded by a tighter twist go with a 223 dont ruin what is special about the 222 by bastardizing it with a 1-8"twist

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I will have to disagree with you mathman, the 222Rem with a 1-14" twist shooting 40 to 52 grain bullets is one of the most accurate combo's you will find. At present I have two of them, one is fully custom built on a 40X action the other is an off the rack CZ527. they are the 2 most accurate rifles I own (there may be days when my 6ppc might shoot a better group) they will easily out shoot any of my 223's. If you want the flexibility afforded by a tighter twist go with a 223 dont ruin what is special about the 222 by bastardizing it with a 1-8"twist

How much is the cartridge and how much is the twist? From what I've gathered a 14" twist 222 will out shoot a 14" twist 223.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm planning on building the mate to this rifle in .222 Remington .

Will be shooting 50gr Hornadys, perhaps some 45gr.

What twist ? 1-8" or 1-12"

1-12"

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A faster twist 223 on that particular action is negated somewhat by its mag constraints when used with higher B.C. bullets and doubly so with tipped secant ogive ones.

In short, I wouldnt fear a 1-8 Sako sporter in 222; it would make a hell of a versatile rifle. It could still be used as a varmint gun or for deer. It would also be better on windy days when the ranges are long, drifting less.
I havent had any issues with the tipped varmint bullets in even larger cases. Nosler, Hornady and Sierras with tips shot just fine, even 40's with a 1-7. No bullets flying apart, no groups over an inch. Some have been half that.

F
Flyer01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Project is on hold at least til the fall .

Your reply's have given me a few things to think about.

Thanks for all the input.

F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pick the twist that'll best shoot the bullets you want to shoot. Flexibility you'll never use is of no value. Personally, I'd see what the BR folks use and not look further.

The .222 is a dandy cartridge that got lost in the .223's dust. Nice choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.