Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
When Finn hunted with us in '97 or so, he mentioned the 25-06 (which I was using at the time) was about perfect for plains game. Well, Montana plains game anyway.

That was before laser rangefinders, so if anything the affordable laser rangefinders of today makes the 308 better than ever, and it wouldn't surprise me if Finn would still use a 308 if he were still around.

FWIW, I had mentioned to Finn how I really wanted to be a sniper. A month or so later, a box arrived with the "Death From Afar" book series within, signed by the authors to Finn. A very nice gift from a very good man.

Yeah, meant to comment on your post Billy. Super cool you got to meet Finn and receive such a gift. Nearly everything the man wrote struck a chord with me. But I'm generally a "less is more" kind of person...

Thanks, Brad! I agree on Finn's writing; my copy of his "Selected Works" is about worn out.

I was fortunate in being able to take a few days off of school while he was here. We tried to get him on a really tremendous mule deer, but it just wasn't in the cards. Finn decided to take an older 3x3 buck that most guys wouldn't want, in order to help us with a "cull" and still have some good meat. Finn also listened patiently as I showed off my cheap Daisy single pump air rifle, which I was using to compete in 4-H shooting competition. Those examples of kindness made a big impact on a surly teenager, and I still miss the man. Not only for his superb writing, but because he seemed like a truly decent human being.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks Jerry, I still feel very fortunate to have had the chance to meet and hunt with Finn!

Agreed on the "time" factor, as well. Sometimes all a guy has time to do (especially with the big, mature animals) is shoot, not fart around with rangefinders and what not!

Well I'm not completely left out.

I have an autographed picture of Charlton Heston from the NRA. grin
and

I have a signed Nosler # 7 Handloading Manual by our own Mule Deer ( J B ). However I told him I thot his Grandkid scribbled in it. whistle , smile I am glad to have it.

I've hunted WT for over 40 yrs and 'some' times I've had plenty opportunity to watch and plan shots at both doe's and bucks.

Other times it's a matter of shoot NOW or lose the chance.

Those are the reasons I feel the same as our Dear Departed brother **BobinNH **who said, "I like the long legged cartridges"!!
*edit to add* I'll never forget Bob.

I stated in another thread recently, Flat Trajectory is never a handicap. OTOH .......

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/17/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry,
Originally Posted by jwall

Thanks Jerry, I still feel very fortunate to have had the chance to meet and hunt with Finn!

Agreed on the "time" factor, as well. Sometimes all a guy has time to do (especially with the big, mature animals) is shoot, not fart around with rangefinders and what not!

Well I'm not completely left out.

I have an autographed picture of Charlton Heston from the NRA. grin
and

I have a signed Nosler # 7 Handloading Manual by our own Mule Deer ( J B ). However I told him I thot his Grandkid scribbled in it. whistle , smile I am glad to have it.

I've hunted WT for over 40 yrs and 'some' times I've had plenty opportunity to watch and plan shots at both doe's and bucks.

Other times it's a matter of shoot NOW or lose the chance.

Those are the reasons I feel the same as our Dear Departed brother **BobinNH **who said, "I like the long legged cartridges"!!

I stated in another thread recently, Flat Trajectory is never a handicap. OTOH .......

Jerry

Jerry, my hunting is almost all in the woods and while I spent plenty of time with the .270 and .30-06 in hand I've mostly been shooting game at 50 yards or even less which has led me back to the cartridges of my youth. Right now I also do not have a hunting trip gun since last November I handed my son my .30-06 . I believe I'm going to remedy that here shortly by investing in a .308 . Already have a Leupold laying around so I'll be good to go.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also don't think Finn would choose a .30-06 over the .308. We corresponded some about rifles and cartridges, and I also got to take a look at his book full of loading and hunting notes after he died, thanks to Berit bringing it to a get-together in Texas. One of the many things Finn and I agreed about was the tendency of many hunters to be
"over-gunned," and another part of the agreement was that the .308 would do just about anything the .30-06 would.

My opinion on the subject of the .308/.30-06 question is also based on some experience. I am now down to one .30-06, the NULA Model 24 I've used in quite a few places around the world for 20 years, and its one rifle I'll probably always keep. But my wife Eileen and I own four .308's, and have taken 22 species of big game with them in various countries from northern Canada to southern Africa. We have yet to find the .308 wanting with any of the numerous bullets we've used.

JB, I have one of your .308 rifles, a Montgomery Wards Heym Mauser which was presented to me by a well known poster here on the Campfire who happens to be a good friend. He gave it to me because I am a fan of yours and it will never leave my possession until I pass. And then I own an old Pre-64 Model 70 that you once owned and needed a bolt after the person you sold it to had the bolt thrown away with the packaging by one of his employees but that's another story. Needless to say, it will never leave my possession either. I had a pristine spare bolt that worked like a charm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Finn hunted with us in '97 or so, he mentioned the 25-06 (which I was using at the time) was about perfect for plains game. Well, Montana plains game anyway.

That was before laser rangefinders, so if anything the affordable laser rangefinders of today makes the 308 better than ever, and it wouldn't surprise me if Finn would still use a 308 if he were still around.

FWIW, I had mentioned to Finn how I really wanted to be a sniper. A month or so later, a box arrived with the "Death From Afar" book series within, signed by the authors to Finn. A very nice gift from a very good man.

That's pretty cool.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
model70man,

Good to hear about the .308 Mauser--and especially about the pre-war Model 70. It's nice to know your bolt worked in it, and that it's still functioning!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike

Jerry, my hunting is almost all in the woods and while I spent plenty of time with the .270 and .30-06 in hand I've mostly been shooting game at 50 yards or even less which has led me back to the cartridges of my youth. Right now I also do not have a hunting trip gun since last November I handed my son my .30-06 . I believe I'm going to remedy that here shortly by investing in a .308 . Already have a Leupold laying around so I'll be good to go.

Mike, where and the terrain we hunt CAN dictate what we need in the way of rifles/cartridges. I've hunted thickets and wide open places that at times reminded me of the 'plains'. Where I hunt since 2012, I can be in a thicket or stalking open pasture up to 400 yds.

Mostly, I hunt a rifle or cartridge by the MOOD I'm in. I have taken a 7 Mag to a creek bottom thicket - because I wanted to not because I needed it. OTOH it's silly to take a short range round or one having a SOFTBALL trajectory to wide open places. NO inference to the 308.

I have never before put in words what I've said twice this week. A Flat Trajectory is never a Handicap.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But on a 50 yard shot that 3,000+ fps cartridge can create a bloodshot mess.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike, that depends on 2 things.

Bullet Construction & Bullet Placement.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That article brings back some memories. Finn was and is my favorite gun writer by a very slim margin over a couple of the other greats.
What I liked best about his writing is easily summarized by to points he made in this article.
One was about the Kenyathalon and his adamantly refusing to run during the event, and his remarks about nilgai
and bullet placement.The subtle dig on fellow gun writers was priceless.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm a bit surprised that his comment toward the end regarding " real hunters" didn't draw some ire.

I too always enjoyed his articles. His sort of function over form attitude about rifles always sort of tickled me. When was the last time you read a article where the writer praised a 1 1/2-2" group as perfectly adequate? Likewise I remember one of his articles where he was sporterizing a military Mauser as a project. Basically he painted the stock with something like bed liner paint and rubbed a handful of sand into the pistol grip and forearm while wet to serve as non slip checking.

Last edited by bangeye; 06/22/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bangeye,

I know your question was rhetorical, but the last article I read that said 1-1/2" groups are adequate for general big game hunting appeared in GUNS magazine earlier this year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Again, thanks Brad. That was a great read.

The .308 is a great round.

Great article, but there are a few rounds that article could pertain to.
308 just had a huge popularity push of being a military round.

If I remember high school correctly, popularity is not always all that it is cracked up to be. cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Many years ago, I wrote him a letter asking about his experience with the Scout rifle. His reply was printed on a dot-matrix printer. The pages had separated along the perforations, but he taped them together, which got the job done. THAT was Finn Aagaard in a nutshell." -- Okie John

I had to laugh. That was so Finn! Brings back memories of when he started using a computer and that old dot matrix printer. He had a frequent hate relationship with that computer, but it made his writing job easier. He had a better way to go from a pencil and yellow pad, via his two finger typing, to an ASCI file for his publisher. Thanks for making me think back.

" Likewise I remember one of his articles where he was sporterizing a military Mauser as a project. Basically he painted the stock with something like bed liner paint and rubbed a handful of sand into the pistol grip and forearm while wet to serve as non slip checking." -- Bangeye

And yes Bangeye, that very rifle, with the sand from Sandy Creek and its stock epoxied back together after a horse broke it in two, was one of the last rifles he had still kept. Interestingly that old .30-06 wore a nice 4X Swarovski scope. Entirely practical, homely, and quite lethal enough for game. It remains the same today. He also still had his Steyr Model 1912, Mauser 98 in .308. Neither had been passed down to family members. They were still his up to the end. While he had taken up with the .308 for his own practical reasons, he never forsook the .30-06.

It is such a shame we don't still have Finn Aagaard around. There is no one quite like him.

Jaguar

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So...he didn't forsake the 30-06, humm

Wonder why ? No I don't wonder.

Yes it's a shame that we have to get old and move on.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/22/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jaguar
Do you know whatever became of his Brno. 7x57 I may have read at some point but have forgotten. That rifle was featured in so many stories that it was somewhat akin to JOCs 270 or John Wooters Forester.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bangeye PM sent.

Last edited by Jaguar; 06/24/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad
The 308 is overlooked and underrated, except by those that have actually used it on a variety of game.

Scenar Shooter would attest to that.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Jerry, my hunting is almost all in the woods..........which has led me back to the cartridges of my youth. I believe I'm going to remedy that here shortly by investing in a .308.

Exactly the decision I made a couple of months ago when I purchased my second Sako 85 Finnlight 308 Winchester. It's the cartridge of my youth as well. I now have four 308's. Two are toys and two are primary hunting platforms.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have enjoyed playing with a lot of different cartridges over the years, and it's pretty easy for the firearms marketeers to suck me into trying a new cartridge, as long as I like the rifle it's chambered in.

Since I tend to like lighter more svelte rifles, I have owned one or more rifles chambered in 243, 260, 7-08, and 6.5 Creedmoor, and there are currently four 308's in my safe.

We all have different needs, and these other short-action rounds clearly excel in some ways, but I think it would be hard to argue with the point Finn made in the article - "The round sired the .243 Winchester, the .260 and 7mm-08 Remingtons, and the .358 Winchester. While all of them are fine rounds for some applications, none of them can match the versatility of their daddy as a big game cartridge."

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.