Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D

I recently purchased this rifle at an auction and have been researching its background 1267063 NM 03 19 26 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42 H J RICHARDSON,MISSOULA MT

So its a National Match M1903 purchased by this gentleman in 1926 he was later in a Match at Camp Perry in 1938 I'm assuming the same gun was used. I would love to be able to identifiy the Smith that made it. Any ideas and all comments are welcome and appreciated

Attached Images
92309796.jpg (18.16 KB, 572 downloads)
92309795.jpg (18.08 KB, 374 downloads)
92309801.jpg (18.58 KB, 301 downloads)
92309811.jpg (27.55 KB, 260 downloads)
92309800.jpg (20.64 KB, 278 downloads)
Last edited by Discus420; 06/10/17.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Receiver may be an 03 from the DCM, but I doubt that a custom hunting rifle was shot at Camp Perry. Looks like a nice old style hunting rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Style is similar to Winslow Arms I think from Florida. Google them to compare.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
That rifle looks definitely post WW II. It may have been customized then. It would not have been legal to shoot in the matches at Camp Perry in the condition shown in the photos. Or very effective either.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No doubt the "sporter" work was done after WWII, but that doesn't mean it wasn't shot at Camp Perry when in original condition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No doubt the "sporter" work was done after WWII, but that doesn't mean it wasn't shot at Camp Perry when in original condition.

I was only suggesting this rifle was shot at Camp Perry and later on in its life sporterized as Mule Deer stated

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Style is similar to Winslow Arms I think from Florida. Google them to compare.

Yes thanks Tejano it looks like it!! Does anyone know if manufacturing data is available from these folks or what happened to them??

Last edited by Discus420; 06/11/17.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is not a Winslow Arms product. More likely it was done by some obscure gunsmith. The stockwork is no different (or any more notable) than thousands of similar '03 sporters built back in the 50's and 60's.

If it were my gun, I'd be looking to restock the thing with something more appropriate to it's history, but that's just me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have seen and handled rifles by Winslow Arms, they were a much higher quality than your rifle. Besides the hundreds of obscure gunsmiths doing conversions of military rifles there were also many rifles like this produced as student projects by the various gunsmithing schools. For that matter gun owners could buy semi-inlet stocks from many manufacturers and create their own sporter. Most of the gunsmithing school guns were not checkered as this was a class apart from stockmaking, the lack of checkering would make me suspect the rifle was a student project. There not being any marking on the wood or metal, the origin is anyone's guess.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
That is not a Winslow Arms product. More likely it was done by some obscure gunsmith. The stockwork is no different (or any more notable) than thousands of similar '03 sporters built back in the 50's and 60's.

If it were my gun, I'd be looking to restock the thing with something more appropriate to it's history, but that's just me.

I would absolutely restore it if the first 2 inches of the barrel hadn't been cut off!!! Not sure what to do with it??

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Discus420

I would absolutely restore it if the first 2 inches of the barrel hadn't been cut off!!! Not sure what to do with it??

What were your thoughts when you bid and won?

Those old guns generally shoot pretty well.

Sorta heavy for today's tastes, but solid, good guns, made out of steel.

That looks like the OEM Springfield trigger. If so, a Timney would probably help.

See what it'll do at the range; give it a chance.

DF

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

What were your thoughts when you bid and won? .......ALRIGHT!! I won

Those old guns generally shoot pretty well. .........Its sub MOA at 100 yards no problem

Sorta heavy for today's tastes, but solid, good guns, made out of steel.

That looks like the OEM Springfield trigger. If so, a Timney would probably help. its by far the most amazing trigger I have ever felt

See what it'll do at the range; give it a chance.

DF

Last edited by Discus420; 06/12/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Discus420 When first looked at it the name Al Besson (sp) one of his early jobs came to mind. Just a guess. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Too bad. I'd still restock it, in the classic style. There's little collector value at this point, although that NM shroud/safety/cocking piece assembly is fairly scarce, and worth a few $$. If you're thinking about installing a different safety (like a side-swing), I'd find some standard components to use.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by northcountry
Discus420 When first looked at it the name Al Besson (sp) one of his early jobs came to mind. Just a guess. Cheers NC

Check out Al Biesen guns on line.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1331-al-biesen-custom-model-70-featherweight-rifle-48842/

No way is this an Al Biesen piece. Not even close.

IMO.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
DF, in all fairness, Biesen did build some (very few) early stocks with inlays. But this isn't one of them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The stock was made by some unknown Bubbasmith too ashamed to sign his name.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Discus420,

Was I right about it being an OEM trigger?

If true and if it's that good, what modifications were made, if you can tell.

Curious.

DF

D
OP Offline
D
its the Springfield National Match trigger what was done to it I don't know but it is smooth as silk and feather touch to fire . 1/2 MOA at 100 yards is not hard at all but I guess that's what you get with a National Match rifle I wrote to CMP to try to get the scores from the 1938 camp perry match and see if they list individual scores for the Montana team so Ill see what they dig up. As soon as I get the paperwork from CMP I will put it up for sale there has to be somebody that needs a National Match deer rifle!

Here are more pics with a few of the trigger http://s50.photobucket.com/user/billyandbrandon/library/M1903

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF, in all fairness, Biesen did build some (very few) early stocks with inlays. But this isn't one of them.

Thanks PrimeBeef that was what first caught my eye as I had seen a couple of his with inlays. As I said that was the first thing that came to mind. Thanks for your support. Cheer NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,346
Posts18,468,775
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.