Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I want to build a cheaper knock around gun to live in my truck for the most part. I kinda did that with my first AR but then gave it to my son as a gift.

Even though I plan on going pretty cheap I still want it to function reliably. Probably never do more than pull it out to shoot a rock or maybe at a pack of stray dogs pulling down a calf but if I ever had to stop and offer it to a cop in a situation or quell some mob uprising, I want it to shoot. smile

After reading Blue's post I am thinking I will use a BCM bcg and lpk and an ALG trigger or something similar. Other than that just phosphate and plastic. Any of you guys do this or think about what you'd use?

I have an A2 stock w/ buffer tube and all, set of back MBUS, charging handle and a few other items. Going to go with a 5.56 16" mid with a FSB, and military hand guard, who sells them cheap?

What's the bottom on where you draw the line for a lower and upper reciever? Like maybe Spikes or even Anderson?

I also thought about one of the minimalist stocks, but they seem to cost more, probably don't balance well either.

All thoughts and ideas welcome, I enjoy the logic behind the choices.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
lower, whatever I have thats cheap. If I want a cheap trigger, RRA varmint.

Stock parts. Stock stock. Hogue float tube or something cheap.

Decent barrel, not sure which, and since its not rely your life on, even the bcg would be waiting on a deal personally... they are easy to trouble shoot.

Barrel would be the hardest choice.

18 or 20 inch... 16 way to loud for my ears personally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just buy this.

PSA AR15

I don't think you could put one together much cheaper and the two PSA barrels I have experience with both shoot fine.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Or just buy this.

PSA AR15

I don't think you could put one together much cheaper and the two PSA barrels I have experience with both shoot fine.

This. I have owned one for a few years and it is a nice rifle.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd want one I could drop from a helicopter at 300 feet from the ground.. eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep thats an every day thing to worry about....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

I was being sarcastic too... grin Watch the video you old bastid. You might get a kick out of it... I cringed just a little...
I've got a precision rimfire shoot to go to. You boys have fun... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd recommend an A1 or A2 upper.

All of my cheaper truck guns with a flat top, have wound up with more money in optics than the gun itself, so it defeats the purpose.
Get an A2 and let it live in your truck.

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
That PSA gun certainly fits what I want. With the parts I have I could build one for about 400 bucks, with shipping that's close to what the PSA sells. I also have the MOE rifle stock of magpul's, as well as the A2. A2 is a hair longer (which I like) but not any good place for a proctor sling. Rifle buffer and mid length gas should be nice.

But I enjoy the process too, since I purchased the tools to do it. Finding the stuff and getting packages like it's christmas is fun. Seems like it costs less if I just dish out 100 bucks here and there too. I'm not very worried about losing it although it would suck to think some POS got it and messed up my truck at the same time.

I really want to keep it simple even though my eyes are getting older. The 5.56 gun just beats a 94 lever gun in my book in several ways. Actually did catch a pack of dogs eating the ears off a cow back in the early 80's on the Odessa loop. Buddy just got one shot off with the 94, hit one in the hip or just in front in it's gut. They got lost in the desert quick although I'm sure he killed the one would have been nice to shoot a couple.

I'll look for the A2 upper and see what I think.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rost495

I was being sarcastic too... grin Watch the video you old bastid. You might get a kick out of it... I cringed just a little...
I've got a precision rimfire shoot to go to. You boys have fun... wink

Oh so sorry, guess I'll have to figure out emoticons or whatever smilies are called. LOL

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My Truck gun consists of a Remington model 7600 synthetic in .270 Winchester with ten round clips and a 3.5x10 Leupold scope. I think if you went the same route with a .243 Winchester chambering you might have the perfect gun for the uses you state. More range more energy and the 7600 models I have shot are very accurate. I use the 120 grain Barnes hp @ 3450 fps and it is a hammer on coyotes and deer. P.S. make sure the 10 round clips stay at the house during deer season.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hunt deer during deer, with 20 rounders... cause I don't like 30 rounders. LOL. Depends on the state.

I"ll take an AR ANY day over the Rem semi's... they can be so picky about accuracy.....

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
skitish, have thought about that very thing a few years ago, started looking at shows for .308 and .243 760's and 742's. Didn't have very much luck finding even a piece of junk for less than 400 bucks. I want it to have a good peep sight, add a syn. stock and cost just kept going up. I'm not looking at putting optics on this type gun.

The AR platform at todays prices make a "5.56 Glenfield 60" a real proposition.

I had a "shelf" that went where my visors were in a '77 Ford flatbed, it was made to lay a rifle on. There was always a model 60, .22 lr hanging out there.

Kinda wondering about what to do in the 2010 ext. cab. I always have the back seats folded up and use that area to put stuff. Thought I would just sew a piece of canvas over, or some such thing to slide the gun in back there. Anybody know a better way to carry a carbine? Mostly just to hide it and keep it from launching in an accident or bouncing all over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Glynn

Kinda wondering about what to do in the 2010 ext. cab. I always have the back seats folded up and use that area to put stuff. Thought I would just sew a piece of canvas over, or some such thing to slide the gun in back there. Anybody know a better way to carry a carbine? Mostly just to hide it and keep it from launching in an accident or bouncing all over.

How about a softside Tactical Rifle Case? You can get one for as little as $15 - $25 at Midway or elsewhere. You can also carry several boxes of ammo in one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939239907/midwayusa-tactical-rifle-case-with-6-pockets

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I really wished I could get one of those visor holders for my vehicle... probably can for the F350 but I rarely drive that... escape... LOL.... but it would be nice to reach up and grab it and go.

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
local dirt, I actually have one of those exact cases. I was just thinking about something that didn't look like a gun case. Have four loaded mags in mine.

Since I keep the bench side back seat folded up all the time I will probably just tuck it in there. Need a guard to keep bolt oil from messing up those like new seats.

rost495, the guy who sold me the truck later offered me that shelf, don't know the name or where he got it but I will do some googling to see if they offer something similar. Nobody ever noticed it and it was so very handy, had a single velcro strap that you could ignore most of the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still like my old Quality Hardware as a truck gun.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Glynn I checked Gunbroker and they have several 7600's for sale. Now they have the carbines (18.5" barrel) listed in .243, .308 and .257 Roberts. I was fortunate to pick mine up used for $500 with a 3x9 Bushnell scope. With the 10 round clips from Triple K that may well be the way to go. I thought about the shorter barrel when I got my .270 but with the way it shoots I don't think I will change a thing. The AR platform has some things going for it but if you don't need the modular construction or the rate of fire then you are not giving up anything using the 7600 and you are gaining a flatter shooting cartridge with more energy.

G
Glynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
So.. doing a little reading about the A2 receiver option cause that does look like a cool build and a capable but very tough set-up.

If I understand correctly I can use an M4 type barrel and extension with this receiver , it's just that the grooves wont be in the extension pocket? Right? But that some dremel or round file them in anyway?

Also was going to ask about who to get one from. Got steered away from Model 1 sales, Fulton Armory says theirs is a USGI contractor, Rock River worth considering? Couple other places out of stock. Any of them better than the other for whatever reason?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rock River Arms AR-15 16" Mid Length A4 Upper Flat Top 1/9" complete 399.00

joeboboutfitters.com

not exactly what you are looking for but just thought i'd pass it along

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 21 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.