Campfire Tracker
B
No

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bangeye
Basically I sum it up as , when zeroed 2.5" high round nose bullets at reasonable speeds shoot flat enough to 200 yds. Pointy bullets add about another 125 yds. At that point you need to get closer.

Unless one has practiced and is proficient at longer ranges. That's what you meant, isn't it?

No I would rather impose what I believe is fair on others for range limits.

smile

I mean if I was a traditional bow hunter I would say all you rifle hunters that are killing your game beyond 30 yards need to get closer as well. smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will just point out that for all the talk about using high BC bullets to pick off big game at long ranges , all the posting of MOA groups shot off a bench etc. I don't recall ever seeing a post where someone mentions I misjudged the wind slightly , or the animal took a step to reach that juicy blade of grass, or I wobbled a fraction of a moa just as I squeezed one off and I ended up shooting it 6" too far back I.e. In the guts and had to chase it all over hells high acre or just lost it period. Not one post I can ever recall so obviously it never happens. Funny it It happens at 150 yds. And my 40 years shooting experience only proves the farther out the more opportunity for it to happen and the bigger that wobble grows. But I've never heard it happening in the long range crowd.I have no doubt there are a handful of people on this site that is a consistsnt shot at 600 yds on game and a few more at the target range maybe you are one of them but for all the posts on this subject here on the fire I'm pretty confident in calling bs on 90% of them. So maybe I should have said for 90-95% of you you need to get closer. Also I won't impose what I believe on you any more than you imposing on me the belief of the higher probability of gut shooting game at long range is acceptable.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The reason for variable BC...

Form factor, each bullet we use has a form factor that is calculated by comparing the attributes of any bullet to the standard bullet that was used to model the G1 or G7 BC.

The closer the bullet is to the form factor of 1.000 the more closely the trajectory of that bullet will be to the drag model that is used.

Because the G1 drag model is based on a flat based bullet a more rounded ogive etc... than that of your typical VLD type bullet the form factor for the VLD type bullets end up being significantly lower than 1.000 when compared to the G1 standard model, meaning less drag than the model predicts. When you put the G1 BC for a VLD type bullet it is predicting that the bullet has the same amount of drag as a bullet with the form factor of 1.000 so the BC's are adjusted at different velocities to make up for inadequacies in the comparison.

Last edited by heavywalker; 06/21/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will just point out that for all the talk about using high BC bullets to pick off big game at long ranges , all the posting of MOA groups shot off a bench etc. I don't recall ever seeing a post where someone mentions I misjudged the wind slightly , or the animal took a step to reach that juicy blade of grass, or I wobbled a fraction of a moa just as I squeezed one off and I ended up shooting it 6" too far back I.e. In the guts and had to chase it all over hells high acre or just lost it period. Not one post I can ever recall so obviously it never happens. Funny it It happens at 150 yds. And my 40 years shooting experience only proves the farther out the more opportunity for it to happen and the bigger that wobble grows. But I've never heard it happening in the long range crowd.I have no doubt there are a handful of people on this site that is a consistsnt shot at 600 yds on game and a few more at the target range maybe you are one of them but for all the posts on this subject here on the fire I'm pretty confident in calling bs on 90% of them. So maybe I should have said for 90-95% of you you need to get closer. Also I won't impose what I believe on you any more than you imposing on me the belief of the higher probability of gut shooting game at long range is acceptable.

I don't recall imposing anything on you sir.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I thought ballisticians measured ballistic coefficient by firing a given bullet at a given muzzle velocity at several different ranges,
measuring the difference in drop and then crunching the numbers to come up with the ballistic coefficient.

Ballisticians will also run models of bullets through a computer program, often providing purely theoretical BC figures
not actual realworld BCs.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basically I sum it up as , when zeroed 2.5" high round nose bullets at reasonable speeds shoot flat enough to 200 yds.
Pointy bullets add about another 125 yds. . At that point you need to get closer

depends who you talk to, anyone shooting over bow hunting distances should really
not be so lazy and desperate.. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info guys.

I appreciate it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good God..... mostly me. I can't believe I just read most of this....

Last edited by las; 06/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Obviously, you haven't been reading my posts.... can't recall but one f'ked up shot that I've committed that was the animal's doing, and I missed him clean.

Which made me not happy, but a whole lot less than mortified. But then, I got no pride. I'm too big a f'k up. My guns shoot fine. Mostly...

I've admitted to the pecker shot, and the ham shot (rifle shoots inch groups at 300 yards) .... BC / range/wind had nothing to do with the ham shot back in March, and range/wind/ lack of knowing the range had everything to do with the pecker shot several years back. Ask me how I know those placements...

I now have a range-finder good to 500 plus. 500 is my limit. I don't give a crap about BC, if the bullet is accurate to that range, in that gun. And one only knows that from "bench" shooting. I'm currently using a clay bank down the beach, myself... or sometimes the snow machine seat.

Of course, my preference is powder burns....One of my best shots ever was a moose at 16 yards.... with a .338WM sporting 175 gr. Speer Grand Slams, to the spine, from the front and just under the chin.... Might have overdone that one, just a bit.... smallest spike I've ever killed...

Satisfied?

Last edited by las; 06/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.