-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I planted some young Hickory and White oak trees on a sidehill this spring and have been using some milk cans to transport water to them. The cans and water reminded of a time when I worked for the U. S. Forest Service. On Saturdays a bunch of us workers would drive into town for food and recreation. Our foreman showed us how to wash our clothes using milk cans on the trip to town and back.

Laundry detergent, Borax, about 4 gallons of water and load with clothes. The agitation motion of the cans in the back of the pickup cleans the clothes. Clothes go into cans of water for rinsing for the return trip. Of course we separated darks and whites. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Roundoak, I've never washed in the cans, but we still have some of my cans. 130 was my number with the dairy coop.

Those are collector's items, the smaller the better.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Many of the cans around here end up filled with sand or cement with a post for a rural mail box. I have a handy milk can seat made with a cast iron seat that I parted out from a horse drawn cultivator.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like those Key overalls in the first picture.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds a lot like John Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a few of those cans from our milking days back in the 1950's. I used to use them to haul water in if I need to transport a few gallons. One of my brothers evidently did something with them. Wish I had them back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those milk cans are getting harder to find. And more expensive when you do find one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Those milk cans are getting harder to find. And more expensive when you do find one.

Since I was a kid I never paid much attention to milk cans except to fill them with milk, move them into the milk house cold water tank, help the milk truck driver load them and unload them. Oh, and wash the empty return cans. That was before the cheese factory washed them for a slight fee deducted off the milk check.

Milking cows became more appealing after Dad installed a pipeline milking system and a bulk milk tank.

My great Grandfather managed a small coop creamery for years utilizing canned milk and when the coop was sold I saved some of the cans that had the creamery label on the cans. A few years ago my wife took the best looking can of the lot and had it re-tinned for a Father's Day gift. Bless her heart, she meant well, but she didn't realize the can lost it's vintage value. I will never tell her.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Many of the cans around here end up filled with sand or cement with a post for a rural mail box. I have a handy milk can seat made with a cast iron seat that I parted out from a horse drawn cultivator.

[Linked Image]

The can with the seat was rescued out of a farm ditch dump on a farm I purchased several years ago. It is marked Bellows Falls Coop Cry Bellows Falls VT. Google shows a little history of the coop. Interesting to me is it is 1150 miles from VT to the ditch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are cool and like the other poster, reminded me of Travels with Charlie.

Here's one I found near camp on a deer hunt in AZ a few years back. No telling what it had been used for. Diesel for a logging operation or road crew? Water? ................... Milk!

[Linked Image]

(Jeez, I had no idea that pic was so blurry. Probably the camera, it could not have been me shaking, it was below freezing that morning)

and look what's still under it:
[Linked Image]

It's still up there, about 30 miles south of Flagstaff, near the little pine that was rubbed by a buck. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of grandad cans that Mom had a scene of the farm painted on. It has the brass Id tag from when they would put the cans on the train and the milk would get shpiped to the Cumberland Md creamery ,and the cans shipped back.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.