Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Need an inexpensive scale to do what little reloading I do now days. Please, something that hasn't been a problem unit. Help me out here guys. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/13/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prolly have better luck posting the above in the classified . . . . just sayin'

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rule of reloading scales: Good, Digital, Inexpensive; pick any two.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've seen reports of this being the best budget model out there:

bullets.com Bald Eagle Scale

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know that I'm being obtuse, but a 5-0-5 Ohaus or RCBS.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by powdr
Need an inexpensive scale to do what little reloading I do now days. Please, something that hasn't been a problem unit. Help me out here guys. powdr

Depends what you call inexpensive. I've been using the same Dillon digital scale (D-Terminator IIRC??) for ~15+ years now and it's been completely problem free and accurate. I do calibrate it when I move it or haven't used it in a while, but that's really easy.

Dillon lists them for $140 now, and that's going to be cheaper in the long run than trying several el-cheapo low end scales. I watched several friends do that, all of them eventually went to the Dillon they should have bought in the first place.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Powdr, I really like my Lyman Gen 5. They make 2 different sizes. Gen 5 and Gen 6. Might want to look at them. Thanks Daniel

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cabelas (made by RCBS I believe??) But I'm not 100% confident in electronic scales.

Seems like I weigh a charge then take it off and re-weigh and there's a discrepancy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/powder-handling%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/544895280/hornady-gr-electronic-scale/2225617.uts

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't trust them in my limited experience. Powder dropper or even Lee scoops and balance beam is faster and more accurate. A digital scale is great for sorting cases but I usually don't do that so I currently don't have one.

No experience with the Dillon scale but all of their other products I have used were good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think both the older RCBS scales I have are actually made by Ohaus. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with others as well. Never had an issue with mine. I calibrate occasionally, just because, but only HAD to do it once when it got "confused" somehow. As an extra check, I occasionally weigh bullets, just to see if it's in the ballpark. I use Lee dippers to load the pan, and "trickle" up or take a few grains out. With practice, I get pretty close most of the time, and right on the money fairly often. My regular tricklers haven't been out of the box in years.

Eventually, I want to get one of the power scales that trickle the charge into the pan on an electronic scale, but there's some other goodies I need first.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Guys, I just don't load 200 rounds a year anymore. Usually just an extra box or two for the rifles I've shot through the year. I'll shop around but at my age I don't need the Dillon. I'm sure it's a nice unit. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking to buy an Ohaus 10-10 should anyone have one to sell.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you are going digital, don't go cheap.

The cheap one's will try to kill you.

Midway has the Charge Master on sale for under $300 with free shipping.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/18/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Midway has the Charge Master on sale for under $300 with free shipping.

Yes, that's in my latest Midway flyer. I'm very tempted.

I used a PACT II for many yrs before it became erratic. I don't know if they're still available.
IF they are, based on the one I had, I'd recommend them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I found this on Ask Gunwriters Forum, under Best Reloading Investments, by Doc Rocket on P 10. This is a short excerpt from a long post but note his take on the Pact Digital Scale.
--------------------------
Curiously, I've determined in the sporadic reloading sessions I've had since 2013 that my electronic powder dispensers (yes, plural... I've tried PACT and Lyman, both) are not what I need, at all... and I've gone back to my old green RCBS powder thrower,
.........<<<<< although I'm keeping the PACT electronic scale.>>>>>

Since my previous post I checked the Midway site and they list the Pact Digital Scale, less than 150.$ Out of stock but backorder is available. I'll probably get on the backorder list. I like the Pact II and it worked very well for more yrs. than I remember. Quite a few.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks Guys, I just don't load 200 rounds a year anymore. Usually just an extra box or two for the rifles I've shot through the year. I'll shop around but at my age I don't need the Dillon. I'm sure it's a nice unit. powdr

Do you already have a balance beam scale? That's a pretty low round count per year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of Pact. Have scale, despenser and chrony

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This. If you don't want to buy a good one, don't buy one at all, just stick with a balance beam scale. Especially for only 200 rounds per year.

Low round count does not mean a cheap digital scale will serve you well. The difference between a good digital scale and a cheap one is not speed, it's accuracy and dependability.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/21/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale for a number of years and it's worked fine. However, the 750 is discontinued and it looks like the replacement is the Rangemaster 2000. I haven't used the 2000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.