Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Soldotna, AK – Hunters hoping to harvest moose on the Kenai Peninsula this fall must first complete an online moose antler configuration orientation approved by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

The new regulation, adopted by the Alaska Board of Game during its February meeting, affects moose hunters in Game Management Units 7 and 15 (Kenai Peninsula, Kalgin Island, head of Turnagain Arm) and goes into effect July 1st.

“It’s important to know the rules and regulations of the area you plan to hunt,” said Jeff Selinger, Kenai area wildlife biologist in a press release. “Hunters need to review the criteria that make an animal legal for harvest before they enter the field.”

The Kenai/Soldotna Fish and Game Advisory Committee proposed the measure to help reduce the number of sublegal bull moose taken by hunters on the Kenai Peninsula. During the general moose season in Units 7 and 15, bulls with a spike antler on at least one side or those with antlers spanning at least 50 inches or having a minimum of four brown tines on at least one side are legal to harvest. Moose with fork antlers remain illegal in these units under general season harvest.

Hunters who complete the 19-question online orientation will be emailed a certificate of completion that can be printed and carried in the field while hunting moose in Units 7 and 15.

“We encourage anyone planning to hunt moose anywhere in the state – even longtime moose hunters – to take the orientation,” said Director Bruce Dale in the same press release. “I took it and found it very informative.”

The orientation is available now at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=quiz.moose_identification_intro

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
19 out of 19 on my first try, I guess I can go hunt the peninsula now.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"hoping" is the operative word..... smile. I used to have a half-dozen yard moose. Plant succession has it down to a cow and new calf, and her last year's calf.

Just in case I get a weekend down here, I'll take the quiz.

But I'm a "subsistence" hunter in Kotz. I'm going back up July 13 and score an 880 permit (available June 1- July 15 - but F&G will be closed the weekend 14th and 15th)

I have to be back at work on the 17th anyway.

My season there with an 880 ( Federal lands) runs August into March. I hope Stargazer doesn't shoot me while scanning with his scope when I am crossing Native lands surrounding the village and on the river corridor to access Federal lands.

I'm gonna miss that "subsistence" stuff when we leave.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't plan of getting any license in July from F&G. The states going to be closed down.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Same score. Had to enlarge the videos and still was wishing my binos worked on this screen!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
19 of 19 but will not be hunting moose.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Missed two... couldn't enlarge the screen enough to judge one so passed...

The last one I flat missed... its spike/fork where we are for locals.. I saw forks and said good... didn't read the question right... LOL.

But it was good for a laugh.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just got my card laminated at soldotna F&G.
Other offices may as well.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they were wrong on one, he's definitely 50. (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Ticketmaster!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I see they failed to mention art pecks rule that at 3 years old a bull has all the brow tines it will ever have laugh laugh

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by WDH
I see they failed to mention art pecks rule that at 3 years old a bull has all the brow tines it will ever have laugh laugh

'Tain't Art's Rule. Just fact.

"Junior" was a bull I watched yearly during hunting season from the time he was a yearling. At 2 he was 2x2. At 5, he was still 2X2, and 49 1/2 to 50 1/2 inches..... At 6, I had meat in the freezer and didn't hunt moose. Never saw him again. I enjoyed the heck out of that critter. Watched him in year 4 cleaning the velvet off his antlers, 50 yards away, from my tree stand. He was not at all shy about daylight - which of course led to his demise.

It was almost certainly he who thrashed that bush 15 feet from my sleeping bag one dark, dark night. (year 5) . I'd seen him before dark, and I had raked brush just before dark. Seems he took exception to it. Breaking up camp after season, I chopped down a tree that was obscuring my view earlier, for the next season. He came in to 30 yards and watched me, shortly after I started.

Pretty sure Gleason got him... He lost his pilot's license for DWI before the next year, and the moose got a break. IMO, Cubs should not be used as optical instruments for targeting moose the evening before one whacks them... at least not those accessible from the road system, and that I'm hunting.......but that's just me. smile

Last edited by las; 06/14/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I know at least 2 people that considered ventilating his plane while it was in the air. What a jackwagon.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH

Funny, I get the credit for the results of EVERY moose researcher I have found. All I had to do for the credit was cite specific sources.

Must be a very pathetic existence to keep bringing up points were you are clearly wrong. Too bad your Mommy failed to give you enough pats to prevent your hunger for negative feedback.

How about a single citation to back your "facts?" How many have you gotten against your position so far? How many were peer reviewed?

Moron...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Number 14 is a serious joke. Foreshortening by short lens, too close, has pinned the antlers back much too far. They also drew the 10" line at the eyes much too wide and then call it "almost" 50". Calipers show the width based on their 10" line at 38" wide. Great video to get that close but a [bleep] example. If my optics gave me views that weak I would burn them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Number 14 is a serious joke. Foreshortening by short lens, too close, has pinned the antlers back much too far. They also drew the 10" line at the eyes much too wide and then call it "almost" 50". Calipers show the width based on their 10" line at 38" wide. Great video to get that close but a [bleep] example. If my optics gave me views that weak I would burn them...

told you they were wrong on one

Art has spoken,

let it be so

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

told you they were wrong on one

Art has spoken,

let it be so

I did not miss it, just realized it was a very poor example! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I wouldn't plan of getting any license in July from F&G. The states going to be closed down.

Stopped by ADF&G today to ask what will happen and to see if I could get my 20 Mile bull tag before July... no luck and not much faith from them that things will be straightened out.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
To some degree it's a test on how to take a multiple-choice test.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
To some degree it's a test on how to take a multiple-choice test.

Absolutely... and when poorly done they are easier to take.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.