Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I find myself shopping for a hunting boot, and it looks like I need a size 14.

So far, I see Kenetrek and Crispi offer 14's. I have a 50% discount with Zamberlan, who does not make a hunting boot in 14.

Any other brands to look at who make sasquatch sizes?

Heading to CO this fall for elk, otherwise I mostly hunt out of treestands in the fall in Pennsylvania. No clue where my hunting adventures will go in the next few years, but I would think it safe to assume elk hunting of some sort is probably the most demanding hunting I'll be doing (i.e. I'm not going sheep hunting or anything like that).

Thanks

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kenetreks all day long..

But you probably already knew I was going to say that. They should/might have a Fathers Day sale but I am pretty sure they usually do something for Independence Day. Cannot beat their customer service in my opinion and after 4 seasons in my Mountain Guides I feel like they will last quite awhile longer.. New insoles for this year though.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, Scotty. I am not surprised on your recommendation. smile

Good to know they may soon run a sale. Hunt is mid-October, so I want to put some miles on with whatever I get before heading west, of course.

Really ticks me off that I can't leverage my half-off offer with Zamberlan, but it is what it is. Half off boots that don't fit isn't a good buy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Keep your eyes on Sierra Trading Post. They have Kenetreks every now and again as well.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Oh dang, I didn't know STP had them. Good info.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another option you may want to explore is just good hiking boots along with a set of gaiters as opposed to specifically hunting boots. If you can find 14s and match them with quality gaiters you'd be fine. I have been doing this the past couple of years and I have been quite impressed. This give you some latitude with what might be available. Just a thought. What season are you hunting, most og my hunting is 3rd or 4th season with snow on the ground and I'm still good to go with wool socks.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thought of that. I have a pair of Lowa Caminos I really like. My feet seem to get cold fast. Moving about, no, but if I have to sit a bit, even with Icebreaker overboots, they cool down quick.

I've never been elk hunting....just sort of figured the 400g of insulation of a "standard" hunting boot is about right. That's what I've used thus far. Just haven't had the demands on my boots that this hunt will entail. And future hunts.....I'm fully intending to keep getting out of the eastern whitetail environment on a regular basis. I love hunting whitetails, but getting to do other stuff is fun.

As for socks, I have a few different weights/brands, but consistent thing in them all is 65% merino wool content or higher or I don't buy the sock. Most of mine are 70-75% merino.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whites Boots (Spokane, Wa) makes custom boots.

1Minute
C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
14s should be easy. I have been stuck buying mostly Danners in size 15. Same as you I am heading for elk this fall. The Danner have fared well here at home so I have to try them.

Many here on the fire don't care for them. But thats usually all I can find. I just picked up a couple pair on sale to try out. Will let you know how they feel. I need to get them broke in.

Hunt...
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just did some more careful measuring. I'm a bit bigger on the left foot than right, and the left bumps a bit over 14's....so now it's 15's I'm after.

Kenetrek has that size. Crispi doesn't.

Danner also has it. They only seem to have one all-leather options (all-leather Pronghorn), but it's out of stock on 15's. They have 16's.....that might be a bit too much.

Danner v. Kenetrek seems to tilt toward Kenetrek for my preferences (all leather construction, a rand like Kenetrek uses wouldn't be a bad thing), but they're 2x the cost of Danner's.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Schnee's makes their boots in sasquatch size. I've had a pair of Granites for five months or so. I haven't challenged them too much yet, maybe only 20 miles hiking on them, but so far so good. Their Beartooth boots also get good reviews, though I've never tried them.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like I'm pretty well narrowed to Schnee's (those look very promising, thanks!) and Kenetrek.

Any input on those two brands? I have talked to a few folks already, but since I'm facing 5 bills for boots, I'll take whatever info I can get. smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scotty and I will be able to compare ours this fall. I've seen the Kenetreks already and I think the Granites are as tough, but mine are pretty new still. The true test is what they look like 5 years from now.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Very true.

Gotta decide here soon, so I can spend some miles in them before October.

I have to get new running shoes, so I'm going to go get fitted again and see if I can wear 14's. I don't think, based on my current shoes at 14 being awful close to the tips of my 2nd toes, that 14 is still the size I need, but if so, it would put Crispi back in the mix. If I need to go over 14, Crispi is out, as they don't make that size.

I called Schnee's yesterday. Very nice, helpful, pleasant woman answered my questions, but I didn't get the impression that she'd spent any substantial time in the boots they make or had a lot of field use experience with them. Also found out they won't have my size until mid-July. That's ok, but if it goes much later, I'll be concerned.

Gotta try to call Kenetrek later today. None of the local resellers listed on the Kenetrek site have anything over a 13 in stock. I called all of them within a 2 hr drive of me. Was hoping to try some on, but no such luck.

I will give Schnee's their due...they're satisfaction/return policy looks pretty solid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scarpas or Meindl also make 14s. Lots of options really.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have the Lowa Tibet GTXs in size 14 and love them. Excellent support and comfort, and I especially like the lacing system. Mine seem true to size with plenty of room in the toe box.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
Also found out they won't have my size until mid-July.

I hear your concerns here--and I think a lot of the Kenetreks also. If they had them in my size I'd probably let this be the deciding factor so I could put miles on them as soon as possible!

I think the only real "on paper" difference between the Kenetreks and the Granites is the Kenetrek you can get with either no insulation or 400 grams. The Granites only come with 200 grams as a choice.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by FallGuy
I have the Lowa Tibet GTXs in size 14 and love them. Excellent support and comfort, and I especially like the lacing system. Mine seem true to size with plenty of room in the toe box.

I've been thinking about them. I got a pair of Lowa Caminos in 14 this spring and have been really liking them. I did some steep uphill hiking with a 40lb pack yesterday...then came back down the same slope, and the 14's gave me room to not bump toes, even down hill with extra weight. So I've been thinking about the Tibets. No insulation kinda bugs me.....these will get used here in Pennsylvania for stand sitting as well as in the west for elk.....hmmm...

Joel, they have a 600g option for the Granite now (I think it's a pretty new option), so they have 200g or 600g options, and Kenetrek has uninsulated and 400g options.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lowa's Tibet Hi and their Hunter GTX both look promising.

The Hunter is not easily found in 'squatch sizes, but the Tibet Hi is. Chief complaint I've read is weight, which seems to be comparable to the Kenetrek Mt Extremes.

My Lowa Camino hikers are awesome. Very pleased with them. Have about 30-35 miles in them on rocks and less than sidewalk-like terrain, and they've done really well. No toes bumping at all. I still haven't quite nailed down the "just right" lacing on them.....but I'm getting closer. Had to do one adjustment on my right boot yesterday on my training hike when I cinched the toe box a bit too tight, and then it was all smooth sailing from there.

The Tibet Hi's would be good...uninsulated, though. Not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent. The Hunters have 200g of PrimaLoft. They should be warmer, maybe too warm for more active hunting like elk.....dunno. Doesn't seem to matter, as I can't find any place that has them in stock in 14's, or if they do, they're about the same price as Kene's or Schnee's. I know the Lowa's I have are 14's and are a good fit on my feet, so I feel a bit more confident on their sizing, being a known quantity for me.

I guess the search is half the fun, or something like that?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Redwing has big and wide boots and like Danner the American made ones are good. Russell Moccasin Co. makes great custom boots that will be made to drawings of your feet. The ones I have had are super comfortable and they have lots of options. The Mt. Hunter or Sheep hunter are pretty good all around old school boots. Russell will re-sole or re-furbish the boots for the life of the boot or the customer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.