Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looking for alternatives this year. I have typically used MREs (w/Heaters) for lunch and Mtn House for dinner in addition to a variety of other snacks throughout the day. Using the MRE allows me to leave my stove at base camp and requires less water to prepare lunch. I don't mind boiling water and preparing the Mtn House meal at base camp. The drawback to MREs is they are heavy. I'm looking for a lightweight alternative for lunch. Any suggestions? How about Heater Meals, Omeals, Campsite Catering? I am also going to strip the MREs to just the main course and heater and see how much they weigh. I understand you can't match the weight of a freeze dried meal, just looking for a good alternative.

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I just found greenbelly meals and am gonna try em while backpacking & fishing next week. They're bars but bigger and more calorie-dense than most so are a real meal.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks interesting, thanks. Exactly what I'm looking for. As long as I can get a hot meal at night, I'm a happy camper. Those might be ideal for weight and volume reduction.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
They all got their pro/cons. I've recently added the dehy potatoes to my list. I'll take a smaller packet, make it up and it's pretty good if you get the right stuff. After much testing the best are Idahoan Brand. The flavored mashed line are what I take. The signature russets are super good but you're suppose to make them with butter and milk so not ideal for packing. The loaded line has some are o.k., but most are too strong of a flavor, but my kids like them (go figure). My 2 cents.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
I'm looking for a lightweight alternative for lunch. Any suggestions?

Have you considered just making a couple of good old ham & cheese (or PBJ) sandwiches on some flat bread or pita? Along with some trail mix, they'll keep your legs moving.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't think those sandwiches would taste very good after 4, 5 or more days.

I do usually snack on trail mix or just almonds and walnuts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm

Well, not if you make the sandwiches on day 1, LOL. I do it all the time, pack in pita bread and sandwich makings for lunch. If the weather is too warm for ham, I bring hard salami, and hard white cheese. And the little foil packets of mustard and mayo I get from the grocery store deli. And a few sandwich bags. Make 'em up in the morning or the night before. PB&J is even easier.

I eat the packaged meals for dinner so I prefer not to eat them for lunch too.

YMMV.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It always depends where you hunt,but there is a high mountain lake where I hunt in the early fall. I take a very light telescopic fishing pole.A few ounces. During the heat of the day when the deer are bedded, I slip down and catch a mess of trout. Cook them in a piece of tin foil, along with a pot of noodles.Fresh meat every day for about 4 to 6 days. I eat my big meal about 2:00 in the afternoon, and then glass and hunt until dark. One good hot nutritious meal a day will keep you hunting harder, and days longer, than if you are eating poorly. But if there is no lake or creek nearby, its not an option. Might work for you, might not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by prm

Well, not if you make the sandwiches on day 1, LOL. I do it all the time, pack in pita bread and sandwich makings for lunch. If the weather is too warm for ham, I bring hard salami, and hard white cheese. And the little foil packets of mustard and mayo I get from the grocery store deli. And a few sandwich bags. Make 'em up in the morning or the night before. PB&J is even easier.

I eat the packaged meals for dinner so I prefer not to eat them for lunch too.

YMMV.

This is exactly what I do. I found individual PB packets last year (Jiff) and made PBJ as needed. I've tried the dehydrated PB but its a bit watery for my liking. Hard salami makes for a good change of pace. As to bread, I don't care what kind of bread you use, its going to be flat when you're done.........

The Greenbelly meals look promising as well. I'll try them on a couple backpack hikes I have planned this summer.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I don't care what kind of bread you use, its going to be flat when you're done.........

Yep, but if you start out with pita, you don't lose much.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PS, for an alternative to PB, check out Justin"s Nut Butters. Individual foil packets, almond butter with various additions like maple syrup and chocolate. Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pard and I's standard lunch fare is a couple of tortillas filled with PB, Honey, and raisins. Making them for the next day is done while the water is heating for the evenings mountain house.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
NIce, I'm going to try adding some of the pre-cooked bacon to a PBJ wrap, that should be fairly awesome.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think I heard Aron from Kifaru on a podcast say he made about 60 or so special sandwichs (or bagels maybe) in advance and then vacuum packaged them for hunting and hiking.

Pretty sure it was bagels cause he called them super azzholes or something.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
For a variation on the PBJ, use fruit strips instead of jelly. It's easy to pack and easy to mix up the flavors. I like the little bit of bite it adds.

Circles
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good ideas here. I'll look into some form of Pita bread or tortillas as lunch options.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Justin's nut butters.

I did (2)ProBars, PB on Belvita, trail mix, GU, and EmergenC thru the day last year. Worked well for me.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love bringing jerky.

With the MH saved for dinner, I snack on the jerky pretty much throughout the day when out camping.

I make my own and only very lightly salt it. That's it. I leave any and all the fat on. The aged fat on the jerky puts it on a different level of satisfaction, calories, and ultra beefy flavor.

I'll dehydrate whole steaks at 160°F for 48 hrs and then crumble them down to whatever size I want.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 06/15/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alukban

I'll dehydrate whole steaks at 160°F for 48 hrs and then crumble them down to whatever size I want.

That looks goooooood.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
My first Greenbelly meals arrived. I have to say they are really tasty! Each weighs about 6oz so that would be a significant improvement from MREs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.