Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've not seen any of the tacticool 30-30's in the wild yet. 30-30 seems to be dying out in general around here. The old farts are dying off and the sons are generally not carrying them anymore.

I did see a Sixties version of the same idea: a Mare's Leg 30-30 that stayed in the LGS' case for about a year. It was the first time I'd had a chance to heft one: downright goofy. Back when Steve McQueen was cool, the Mare's Leg was supposed to be IT. I watched Wanted: Dead or Alive all the way through last year on the cable. That thing looked goofy, and unweildy.
[Linked Image]

I suppose a good part of my angst might be marketing-driven. I noticed after age 45, there was no longer any TV commercials and nothing in the stores that appealed to me anymore. Then I realized: I've fallen out of the primary demographic! Of course!

On the other hand, in addressing my rifle loonyism or lack there-of, I have to admit that I was never attracted to hunting arms until I was an adult, then it was from direct contact in the LGS or from reading the books I amassed.

Last edited by shaman; 06/16/17.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have been a collector of military from around the world, and here, plus a real addiction to old firearms.
It's probably not possible to own all the garands floating around, but you sure could try.
I have known a few people that owned several thousand japanese rifles, same in krags for another guy,
same for mausers.
There are a LOT of mausers out there made at various times for various countries.
I won't even get into the handgun area. Wouldn't it be great to own a speciman of every model smith and wesson ever made?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No way in Hades am I dropping back to my 375, one 30-06, a 22 RF, and a 12 guage shotgun ! ! ! !
While they will cover all bases, I have too much fun with other calibers, and handguns.
Typically, in my ranch truck you will find a 204 Ruger - but, during hunting seasons, a Savage 99 in 243 lives there.
One of the 06's will come out for elk, 223 or 22 K-Hornet for prairie dogs (maybe even the 17 Rem) - the others are mostly for fun, and to let the g-kids experiment.
Four 06 military rifles, and four g-kids to shake it out!

I just hope they will all let me play, too!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
This is about the transition from guns as a principal component of the entertainment, to guns as a tool integral to the hunt as entertainment.

I'm editing this.

It's about transitioning from the gear being a principal part of the entertainment, to the gear being something integral to an activity, which is the entertainment.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm at the age where I think I want to simplify and consolidate, but I achieved a measure of affluence later in life (I chose to travel light and far my first four decades) and have been making up for lost time the last 20 years. I could give up several dozen firearms and still be very well-equipped and prepared, but I'm just not ready to do that. I am having too much fun!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nothing wrong. We tend to get wiser as we grow older.

As for catalogs, the only one I miss from the Olden Days is the Herter's catalog. As for the rest, I'm glad they stopped clogging my life.

The one caliber I recommend for an old fart with an itch to scratch is the .22 Hornet. Good therapy lies in that little case.

Good post......Herters and the Hornet.....yes indeed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
I have 2 magnum rifles in cartridges that I don't get to hunt as much as I have in the past. Both of them are no longer available EXCEPT pre owned so I still enjoy having them.

I'm concentrating on more hunting opportunities with what I have.

Good Luck Guys

Jerry

Well...this thread has prompted me to put a scope on my 8 mm RM AND rescope my Black Shadow 300 WM. It has been over 5 years since I shot/hunted the 8mm. I have been dis satisified with the el cheapo scope on my Black Shadow (it came that way)... SO today I have mounted 1 different scope on the 8 and a new 4-12X40 on the 300.

I don't need either one where I'm hunting now but it doesn't mean I CAN'T hunt them. I plan to enjoy them the next couple of years.

River Rider said,..... " I could give up several dozen firearms and still be very well-equipped and prepared, but I'm just not ready to do that. I am having too much fun!"

See what Y'ALL have done. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For me its just "weird" gettin "old" and thinkin about this stuff...who'd of thought!
A group of us were talking outside of church a while back, and all the conversation was all about what meds we're on, prostates, and stuff like that...damn!
I am gonna have a "safe sale", probably most of my military rifles and Trapdoors, just cause with my eyes and those tiny sights I can't enjoy them like I used to.
That will still leave me with ten or more scoped "hunting" rifles in an assortment of calibers from 22LR to 300H&H. Then I can decide what to do from there.
But, knowing my "loonieness" having some cash in my hand, (hopefully), from selling some rifles, may lead to additional purchases.
I surely enjoyed reloading and tweaking each and every rifle I've owned, to see what they could do. But, as stated before, I tend to put them in safe and move to the next one.
Time will tell I guess.
I never fell prey to marketing, although Ken Waters, Townsend Whalen, and a few have influenced my want list a bit. Out of 100 or so guns I've owned, I would say less than 10 were new.
Sorry for rambling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
.22lr + .223 + .30/06 + 12ga = all the calibers someone needs to cover everything in America.

Other combos will do it, but not any better.

You can even toss the .223 out if you aren't a high volume target/tactical/p-dog hunter and just do everything from woodchucks to moose with the .30/06.

When I was a kid almost everyone I knew that hunted to feed their family only had 3 guns. A loaded 12 Guage that stayed behind the bedroom door when it wasn't being used. A 22 rifle and a "deer rifle". 90% of the time the that deer rifle would be either a 30/30, 243 or 30/06. I agree, with modern times a 223 needs to be in that mix.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Know the feeling - I just have zero desire to own a black plastic semi auto AR anything. I have no desire to play rambo and spray bullets. More of a one shot one kill type myself. I do own a 30-06(Pre-War M70) 12ga (Ruger Red Label) and a .22 (CZ 455) Instead of the .223 I have another CZ in .17HMR that makes a fantastic semi urban rock chuck slayer. All I have left to round out my battery is a S&W.38special Airweight that i carry bowhunting and a .22 cal Beman R-9 Pellet rifle that slays the chucks closer to subdivisions. The only real hankering I have for a new rifle is a Win Model 70 Featherweight in .308 Win. Not sexy by modern standards but classy in my book.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 magnum rifles in cartridges that I don't get to hunt as much as I have in the past. Both of them are no longer available EXCEPT pre owned so I still enjoy having them.

I'm concentrating on more hunting opportunities with what I have.

Good Luck Guys

Jerry

Well...this thread has prompted me to put a scope on my 8 mm RM AND rescope my Black Shadow 300 WM. It has been over 5 years since I shot/hunted the 8mm. I have been dis satisified with the el cheapo scope on my Black Shadow (it came that way)... SO today I have mounted 1 different scope on the 8 and a new 4-12X40 on the 300.

I don't need either one where I'm hunting now but it doesn't mean I CAN'T hunt them. I plan to enjoy them the next couple of years.

River Rider said,..... " I could give up several dozen firearms and still be very well-equipped and prepared, but I'm just not ready to do that. I am having too much fun!"

See what Y'ALL have done. grin

Jerry

Always glad to help, Jerry! Sometimes we all need just a little bit of help, but...

[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
R R -

You know what they say about Friends Like That ? whistle
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes indeed I do! whistle

Don't be the darkness.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nick
For me its just "weird" gettin "old" and thinkin about this stuff...who'd of thought!
A group of us were talking outside of church a while back, and all the conversation was all about what meds we're on, prostates, and stuff like that...damn!
While I occasionally talk about meds and stuff, I don't have any "old" friends. We've all aged, which is unavoidable, but "old" is strictly between the ears. Huge difference between maturity and growing up. Although, if you talk to my friends and family, I haven't matured yet, either. whistle I know I'll never get old, or grow up. Hope none of you guys and gals do.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy, Bob, is stuck in a home at the moment. This is the retired gun editor. He has one of the best collections of old Rugers on the planet. He broke his femur stumbling in his back hall. Bob is a past president of Ohio Gun Collectors, and once counted among his friends Elmer Keith and Bill Ruger. I go visiting him whenever I can-- usually once a week. He's stuck in a wheelchair right now and trying to get rehabbed back to possibly needing only a walker.

Bob frequently looks up at me and says, ". . .and the crazy thing is there is still a 17 year old trapped in this body!" He's been saying that to me for close to 40 years.

This was my sponsor in Rifles Anonymous 30 years ago. This was also the fellow that, with the aid of Jerry the ex-marine armourer, convinced me for a time that a 22LR, a 12 GA shotgun a 223 Rem and a 30-06 were all you needed. The problem was all three of us were constantly falling off the wagon. It didn't help that Jerry owned a gun store and a reloading operation. I soon realized that the 22/12/223/30-06 was just an addict's mantra.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have a .30-06. -sniff-

Or a .223. -PTL-

Prefer the 20 to a 12.

Nobody can graduate from Stunt Shooters High School without a Hornet.

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Nobody can graduate from Stunt Shooters High School without a Hornet.

D

Now Dang it !! You didn't just say that, did ya? shocked

You just knocked me OFF the wagon. cry

I don't like you now. wink
grin grin

Mom, I 'needs' some money. laugh

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/19/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ROTF, you're welcome.

Gramps had an old Win Hornet he lugged about everywhere, model 43 as I recall. He took a crack one day at a flying turkey out about 200 yards. Didn't hit it, but startled the bird sufficiently that it flew into a cypress tree. Point, set, match.

He wore out an L.C. Smith SxS 16 shootin' quail in central Florida, bought another and was well on the road to wearing that one out as well. Everything I learned about stunt shooting quail, I learned from him. He considered it unsporting to take more than 8 shells on a hunt with the limit 10 back then. Sometimes he got more than the legal limit. I'm good with a dozen shells in the vest/gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A couple of memorably fine days were spent in the grouse woods and quail fields on those rare occasions I forgot to take any shells. A walkabout without carrying a gun can sometimes be a refreshing experience, without the "personal pressure" to produce some dead birds.

Ye God's and Little Fishes! You gotta do a lot of shooting to wear out a Smith!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He did a lot of shooting and that's a natural fact. He wore out more pointers than guns over the span of about 60 years chasin' quail birds. Wore out some of his boys and grandkids too. I have his first piece, a Win 1890 in .22 WRF. It shoots fine as my old eyes can manage. And if you don't have a WRF shooter you might be entirely too normal.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.