Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Would you say this (orange handle is $17) is a better starter knife for a new hunter than a vic parer or a mora?

https://www.buckknives.com/product/bucklite-max-small-knife/0673FAM01/

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ella

Would you say this (orange handle is $17) is a better starter knife for a new hunter than a vic parer or a mora?

https://www.buckknives.com/product/bucklite-max-small-knife/0673FAM01/

Not a thing wrong with that knife. I've got one stashed in my hunting book bag.

And for that price ($17), grab two.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Great looking knife for a new hunter. +1 on the suggestion of the orange handle, many times during field dressing you'll lay your knife down in the leaves the orange handle makes it easy to find.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Depends on what you use them for.

I do luv me some Victorinox knives. Taken apart quite a few critters with them. I use my small Vicki's daily. Hit em' with a steel and voila!

[Linked Image]

veined two pounds of jumbo shrimp with the small curved blake Vicki this evening.

ya!

GSB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/13/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

I like Vics (and Moras), have one of those little hook blade versions myself. Handy for picking blue crab too. I'm wondering if that Buck would be a better value. I have a Buck folder that I like but don't know their fixed blades..

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
For $17 it is a no brainer if you like the ergonomics. Moras are good knives but the Buck at that price is the best value because of the lifetime warranty. Plus, you can send your Buck back to get it sharpened for like $5 if you can live with the soul crushing shame of being a hunter that can't sharpen his own knife. laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Can't go wrong with a buck. I gave my daughters buck sheath knives and buck pocket knives as gifts. I avoid the non USA models (the one you show is USA). You can also typically pick up a 119 or folding hunter for cheap at Walmart or academy if their tastes run more toward the traditional.

Edit to add, some of the nylon sheaths they come with are not the best. They work well but are bulky and kind of ugly (if that matters). The leather sheets on the 119 and similar knives are nice, and the nylon sheath on the folding hunter is fine. I have a nighthawk that has the nylon fixed blade sheath and I don't really like it (the sheath) although I will admit it does the job.

Last edited by K1500; 06/14/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For an inexpensive truck/pack/loaner knife, I like the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter and Canadian Belt Knife styles that can be bought for around $17 on eBay 24/7/365.

Either of those knives with the blades touched up and a Sagan Saw is all a person needs to field dress a deer. It isn't a lifetime knife or a knife that will ever be an heirloom, but it is quite serviceable.

I'm not a fan of Moras, particularly those with a carbon steel blade, as the grind makes for a thin/fragile edge and the carbon steel Moras seem to rust almost instantly.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
For an inexpensive truck/pack/loaner knife, I like the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter and Canadian Belt Knife styles that can be bought for around $17 on eBay 24/7/365.

Either of those knives with the blades touched up and a Sagan Saw is all a person needs to field dress a deer. It isn't a lifetime knife or a knife that will ever be an heirloom, but it is quite serviceable.

I'm not a fan of Moras, particularly those with a carbon steel blade, as the grind makes for a thin/fragile edge and the carbon steel Moras seem to rust almost instantly.

It's basically a case of personal preference. I like Moras because of the thin edge which makes touching up the edge very easy. They aren't fragile for anything that I will do with a knife. They will cut wood or split ribs without any problems. I won't be cutting wire or heavy bone with one. I don't care if the carbon blades rust. I like that they sharpen easy and the rust won't hurt anything since I won't let it go for months without cleaning.

I would be perfectly fine using either the Buck or a Mora to field dress an animal. I do think the plastic Mora sheaths suck.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

I've had both of these and they work well.

I read several reviews before I purchased the CS PLH...........

http://fineblade.blogspot.com/2011/09/blade-of-month-cold-steel-pendleton.html

ya!

GWB

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

It's basically a case of personal preference. I like Moras because of the thin edge which makes touching up the edge very easy. They aren't fragile for anything that I will do with a knife. They will cut wood or split ribs without any problems. I won't be cutting wire or heavy bone with one. I don't care if the carbon blades rust. I like that they sharpen easy and the rust won't hurt anything since I won't let it go for months without cleaning.

I would be perfectly fine using either the Buck or a Mora to field dress an animal. I do think the plastic Mora sheaths suck.

You're right about personal preference, I'm just not a fan of rust/corrosion of any sort, anywhere. I know folks who don't care if their firearms are rusty/corroded, but that would drive me batty even if the rust/corrosion didn't negatively impact the firearm's function. Perhaps it is something ingrained from my years in the Army, never putting anything away that hadn't been cleaned and, if appropriate, lubricated.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My first hunting knife was a Schrade "Sharpfinger" . It's one of those in the "Old Timer" lineup. I got it when I was 12....back in 1981. I still carry it to this day.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Buck’s shipping is lightning fast! That was less than 24hrs!
Never could like the sharpfinger shape for much. For general field dressing large and small game, I use a vic or a mora just because I’ve not found anything significantly better, and they’re ok to lose or give away. Never tried a high end knife, hope to some day.
Praise for the Pendleton lite hunter is noted. I’ll put it on the list for the next need.
[Linked Image]

For me, the handle could be a half inch longer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget to include outdoor edge in the budget knives.

Aus-8. Sharpen easily.

From deer camp.

[Linked Image]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
a little more scratch, but nothing wrong with the Havilon's as long as you're skinning/slicing and not batoning or prying

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/15/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a outdoor edge change out blade knife. I believe they are a tad thicker than the havalons. Can be sharpened. Either way. One blade makes peelin' a dirty hide pig a breeze.

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Go with the Buck. It is comfortable in the hand and has a good all around blade design for gutting and skinning a deer. I cannot tell if it is a full tang but it would be nice if it is.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stantdm
Go with the Buck. It is comfortable in the hand and has a good all around blade design for gutting and skinning a deer. I cannot tell if it is a full tang but it would be nice if it is.

It wouldn't matter if it wasn't. I have some big $$$ custom knives and I've made a bunch of custom knives but we honestly obsess way too much about knives. I could field dress any animal I've ever killed with a cheap $2 Chinese convience store folder and sharpen it on a rock. Sure It's nice to have good tools but sometimes we get a bit crazy about choosing the right one.

When it comes right down to it,I would much rather spend my money on good,easily sharpened processing knives than a field dressing knife. Even then they don't have to be expensive. I use Dexter Russell white handle knives with a Dexter Russel sharpening steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got my sharpfinger for my 13 birth day 1974 and it is still cuten anything that needs cut

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[quote=stantdm]but we honestly obsess way too much about knives.

I resemble that remark.

Don't do much "Mossy Oak", but I can certainly relate to the slogan "its not a passion, its an obsession!

[Linked Image]

a few "Russell's" and EDCs, all hafted by VinceM.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/16/17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.