-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Some may remember when I posted my big tractor was leaking a bit.

It wasn't really too much of an issue, and would only leak a cup or two overnight.

Well, it was getting progressively worse.

Ended up taking the tank off and identifying the problem not as a puncture, but a weak spot in the tank that was a small crack that was obviously growing, as it was now leaking 5 gallons a night.

Found out about a plastics company 50 miles from here that repairs plastic tanks. Took it there, and they welded the spot, and reinforced the area with a plastic welder. Put the tank back on, hooked everything up, and voila! No leak.

Happy there was a place like that close to me.

Problem solved.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Glad you got it fixed. What kind of tractor? I'm looking to replace my JD 4430 and 3020 and am gathering info. I know they all have plastic tanks now but am still curious.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Glad you got it fixed. What kind of tractor? I'm looking to replace my JD 4430 and 3020 and am gathering info. I know they all have plastic tanks now but am still curious.

This one is a Case Farmall 95C About 100hp.

Yeah, I think they all have plastic tanks now. I think you can fix a hole in a plastic tank easier and better than the old metal tanks. At least the plastic tanks have some flexibility to them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry, glad you got it fixed. From a cup or two to 5 gallons/night can get expensive pretty fast. Not to mention the mess it makes.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Barry, glad you got it fixed. From a cup or two to 5 gallons/night can get expensive pretty fast. Not to mention the mess it makes.

It's a relief for sure, Randy! smile

Got a welding shop working on a thick skidplate for the tank front and bottom. They should have that done by in the morning. The factory skidplate was 16 ga metal. Worthless...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool......I didn't even know plastic could be welded let alone that there are shops that make a living at it.

Glad it worked out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Cool......I didn't even know plastic could be welded let alone that there are shops that make a living at it.

Glad it worked out.

I've learned a bit with all this.

Hot air plastic welding. Sure doesn't look that hard. A local store here sells the hot air welders too.

The place that I had the repair done wasn't really a repair shop, but a commercial, industrial plastics place. Big outfit. I was surprised they messed with small jobs like mine, but glad they do.

http://www.boedeker.com/

As a side note, after they fixed my tank and I got it installed and saw it wasn't leaking in the least, I sent an e-mail to the company telling them that I appreciated whet they did for me, and giving their employees kudos.

Later that day, the president of the company called me. We chatted for an hour. Huge conservative guy. Hunter and shooter too. We solved all of the world's problems in that hour... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plastic is a generic term, there are many different formulations under the two large categories of thermoset and thermoplastics. Some are conductive to repairs by welding, some aren't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.