Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
My local gun/pawn shop has a very good looking Ruger #1 "Tropical" (?) for sale - it is on consignment and I do not know the owner.
The Rifle has the red recoil pad and the shorter forearm with the groove at the fore end.
The Rifle in caliber 300 H&H Magnum appears to be in very good shape and has a scope of some kind on it.
The "asking" price is $800.00.
If anyone is interested I will return, take it down off the back wall and look it over and try to get answers to any questions anyone may have.
The buttstock has nice figure and fiddleback on top of that.
I think its an older version due to the red recoil pad?
Let me know or call the shop at 1-406-683-9844 (Tuesday through Saturday) 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM. (M.S.T.)
Good luick if anyone is interested.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
At the request of one of our members I went back to town and took the Rifle down off of the wall and inspected it.
It appears to me to be re-chambered to 300 H&H Magnum from an unknown caliber (no markings on barrel other that slightly crudely stamped 300 H&H!
The scope is a Burris 3x9 variable.
The counterman at the gunshop was so busy I could not get in a question before I had to leave.
Will try to learn the "history" of the Rifle soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Does the SN have a CB prefix? If so, it would be the 300H&H (The Kudu, IIRC) rifle in the Craig Boddington series. Good price if it is a CB No. 1.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Does the SN have a CB prefix? If so, it would be the 300H&H (The Kudu, IIRC) rifle in the Craig Boddington series. Good price if it is a CB No. 1.

Not with a red pad

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost called yesterday, then decided I need to sell some before buying any more.

I also thought this might be a rechambered 30-06.. If so and if it has Ruger sights, it was originally a 1A, which means it has a 22" lightweight barrel; not what I'd want in a 300 H&H.
If it happened to be a 1B originally that had the fore-end replaced, then it might be interesting, but I think I'll just wait for an original 1S from the early 1990s, or maybe one of the shiny Cabelas special issues.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 06/15/17.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Wildcatter264: I will check for you on Tuesday the 20th.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Gewehrfeund: In response to another Campfire member's P/M I got the nifty little Rifle down off the wall of the shop and inspected the rifling.
Its fine but the caliber designation stamping led me to believe it was a re-chambering?
The day I was there last week was rather busy and only one counterman while I was there so did not get to ask about the details of this consignment sale.
The scope on the Rifle is a Burris 3x9.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Varmint Guy & others.....
I was interested in this rifle also and stopped in to take a look. I was lucky & the crowd was thin. :-)
My take based on what I saw is that the rifle was rebarreled to create a #1 tropical chambered in
300 H&H. I did not and didn't ask to take the forearm off, didn't need to! It is a none prefix
#1 w/red pad, of course, decent wood. Whomever found or scabbed onto the Tropical front sight, and
a Ruger quarter rib to make it look almost right. If one had to have a #1 in 300 H&H here it is, but overpriced for
what it is IMO.
Still might buy it though......just cause

Ulvejaeger

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ulvejaeger: Thank you for your expertise and input.
That settles that.
It indeed would make an excellent "dark timber" Elk Rifle - and would perform nicely in SE Alaska on Bear creatures.
The scope on it should be worth $150.00 or so?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have an original #1 in .300 H & H.. It is one sweet rifle! It is first up this fall on the rifles to e used list👍 It has sights, a 26" barrel , and Alex Henry for end.. I am not sore of the pad, we are away today so I can't check..😟

Molon Labe
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Thank you Varmint Guy. That was the neighborhood I was thinking for the scope.
WCH, this one amounts to a 24" barrel, long enough for all practical purposes.
Should even work well in a saddle scabbard!

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: I am racking my elderly and feeble brain but I do not believe I have ever held in my hands a Ruger #1 in caliber 300 H&H Magnum?
222 Remington - yes but not a 300 H&H.
Enjoy your 300 H&H this fall and best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG , I have had 2.. One years ago, this one I bought maybe 7 years ago.. Glad to post pic's when I get home.. & I will bring this up to Mt. next spring if we can shoot a few gophers together 👍 I don't need hundreds just a few👍 Maybe we can smack a couple w/ the H & H👍Have a good one, & keep those gophers in check😎☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I Called and talked to JD today, its founds a New Home in Northern Michigan!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: Come on up again and spend some time.
I will "watch" you bonk a few with the "big gun".
Of all my foibles, maladies, shortcomings and trepedations heavy recoiling Rifles "stick with me" for weeks some times!
I don't know why - I guess I have just ingrained my brain to gently squeeze the trigger and let it surprise me - then when I get to shoot the magnums they some how short circuit my soft touch and concentration on trigger control?
In other words I flinch for weeks, sometimes - after sighting in my friends 3 (that right he has THREE!) 300 Weatherby Magnum Elk Rifles each fall I can't shoot a group worth a darn with my Varminters, for many days.
The crops are so high now that the Gophers are pretty safe - I just came home from town and along my drive were three Mule Deer Bucks (in velvet) they were walking through the field adjacent to my yard and all you could see of them were the tips of their fuzzy antlers and occasionally an ear!
First cutting next week for some though.
Travel careful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Saved by the folks from Michigan!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG, thanks! Not sure when we will be that way, but I will drop you a line when we do.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Been pondering on one for years in 300H&H or 35 Whelen, been about 10 years since iv owned a #1 Like to THANK VarmintGuy for posting and for info on this rifle!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
saddlering, good luck w/ the .300, how did your other project work out?

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ulvejaeger: Dang - if I had known you were a player for this dark timber Elk Rifle I would have held back my public recommendation about this handsome and cool Rifle.
My bad.
I "helped" sell a Remington 760 in 30/06 for the LGS yesterday, as well - I hope you weren't interested in that one also.
I think thats four guns I have promoted/sold for the LGS this year so far (via online and word of my mouth)!
Maybe I should look into commission sales?
Naw just kidding I like to see good guns get bought by good people - that is reward enough for me.
As for me I am virtually out of mad money until the "Big Eagle" flies by on the 30th of this month.
Then I will be at'em again.
So many guns - so little time!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Wash your truck time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
296 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 45 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.