Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I saw some writing not long ago, with which some of you may be intimately familiar, concerning the reboring of rifle barrels. I found that most interesting, as my TCR '83 Aristocrat .30-06 came with a spare .223 barrel having a rifling twist rate likely too slow for anything heavier than rodent bullets, and there are much better rifles for rodents. Another, earlier writing by the same author, discussing Kipplaufs, spoke of such a tilt-barrel single shot rifle chambered in 6.5x52R (.25-35 Winchester). Taken together, these writings suggested a fascinating means to make useful my neglected .223 barrel by making it into a .25-35 barrel instead. I've seen mention of separating the barrel from the monobloc in order to install a new barrel. But, I'm hoping that won't be necessary in order to accomplish reboring and rechambering.

Classic Barrel & Gunworks appears a good candidate for the job.

You all see any feasibility issues or drawbacks I'm not?

Steve

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll be very interested in this project.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'll be very interested in this project.

You have a TCR?

Steve

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have owned several in the past but currently have none.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Still getting acquainted with mine, even after two years. The reach to that front trigger takes some gettin' used to. But, it's a rifle balanced to swiftly come on target like a shotgun. Quick takedown makes for an easy traveling rifle. The .30-06 barrel coppered up more that it should, and accuracy was less than expected, so it got David Tubb's fire lapping treatment. Thursday will be its range debut after the bore treatment, if weather cooperates. I'm hopeful.

Steve

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have a detailed discussion with the reboring company you choose. They might have a problem with the lugged barrel. I'll bet their equipment is set up for a screw in barrel.
I'm not sure, but it is a question to ask.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Still getting acquainted with mine, even after two years. The reach to that front trigger takes some gettin' used to. But, it's a rifle balanced to swiftly come on target like a shotgun. Quick takedown makes for an easy traveling rifle. The .30-06 barrel coppered up more that it should, and accuracy was less than expected, so it got David Tubb's fire lapping treatment. Thursday will be its range debut after the bore treatment, if weather cooperates. I'm hopeful.

Steve

You may want to consider a product called Dyna Bore Coat.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kp321
Have a detailed discussion with the reboring company you choose. They might have a problem with the lugged barrel. I'll bet their equipment is set up for a screw in barrel.
I'm not sure, but it is a question to ask.

That's the first question on my list.

Steve

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Steve

You may want to consider a product called Dyna Bore Coat.

Accuracy was OK, but not as good as i believe it should ought to be. And, it still coppered up something fierce. On your advice, I got some Dyna-Tek Bore Coat from Brownells. Once I can get all that copper out, in goes the Bore Coat, then we'll see.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.