Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I was talking to a fishing partner today about fishing flashers and we both felt the same way in that we're not convinced of our own opinion. 😁 When trolling I almost always run an 11" Hot Spot, Gibbs, etc but I've always wondered if the color of the flasher really matters? After all these decades I have superstitious preferences but I'm no closer to being sure than I was 40 years ago.

What do you guys think? Does flasher color matter? Does a particular color or pattern work better for one species than another?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not in my opinion.......the flash is intended to mimic the flash of other fish participating in a feeding frenzy......color doesn't matter IMO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When power trolling in SE back in the 80s we convinced ourselves color mattered a great deal. Bright colors on bright days, dark on all others?!?!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always fished dodgers

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never used dodgers, always run short bus flashers, last year "sweet Abby " was a hammer. I think color does matter.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I used to fish dodgers but have gotten away from them over the years in favor of flashers, thing is I don't know why.lol I picked up a bunch of brand new but old dodgers at goodwill the other day and may give them a go again this year.

I run a dummy flasher off the ball when fishing spoons for coho and don't have to fight the flasher. The flasher stays in the water when fighting and landing a fish and I've had schools of silvers following me around all day. Take the flasher out and they'd disperse but as long as they had something to follow they did.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dodgers with herring - Flashers with hootchies.

Like the #2 Abe & Al with herring for kings, though. Slow troll with the flasher wagging, not spinning. 40"+ leader.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That's how I used to fish dodgers, with bait. Over the years I got away from bait but have started to use it again and it seems I almost always catch more with bait. Last year I fished bait while my partner stuck with hootchies and coyote spoons, I out fished him 5-1 that day.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nothing outfishes an 11 inch flasher. That is not even debatable. Color does matter, but not as much as other things. They are coming out with new color/tape combos every year. The new glow stuff is good but different boats fish differently. As far as species, cohos are dumb and bite just about any color flasher. You can improve your king score slightly with a different color flasher.

But there are a lot of variables in catching kings and flasher color is one of the more minor ones.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That's how I used to fish dodgers, with bait. Over the years I got away from bait but have started to use it again and it seems I almost always catch more with bait. Last year I fished bait while my partner stuck with hootchies and coyote spoons, I out fished him 5-1 that day.

In my opinion, when scratch fishing, bait will usually come out on top in terms of bites. I will say that at times, they just prefer bait and you better have it down. But, when over a good amount of fish, plastic will always put more in the boat because you can get it down faster, and not have to deal with missed strikes etc. You also lose a lot more on herring, which can end up giving the edge to plastic at the end of the day too. Threading herring is an art form, and guys who can do it right, catch a lot of kings. I run mostly plastic, but definitely believe in the hot hoochie color which changes every year.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Calvin, threading herring? Whole? Cut plug? I've caught my bigger kings on whole, but more strikes more fish on cut plug. You guys brine em? I brine, dye blue with anise. Later

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I was hoping you'd give your opinion. So flasher color definitely improves king numbers? Agreed about silvers, they'll hit anything when they're on.

I've always used red or some combination of red for kings out of habit and rarely deviate but this year I might do some non scientific experimentation. Green/chartreuse has always been what I go to for silvers off the ball with a coyote spoon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I was hoping you'd give your opinion. So flasher color definitely improves king numbers? Agreed about silvers, they'll hit anything when they're on.

I've always used red or some combination of red for kings out of habit and rarely deviate but this year I might do some non scientific experimentation. Green/chartreuse has always been what I go to for silvers off the ball with a coyote spoon.

I don't think you'd notice with sportfish numbers, IMO. With commercial you can put a whole lot more out there and catch a lot more fish and start seeing some definite trends. I know I can't really tell when sportfishing and only catching 6 kings a day. I have been using a green big shooter on one side, and a black hot spot on the other. I've been hard to keep up with this year.

Interestingly, the hot flasher in lower SE right now is a black flasher and it has been a real king catcher the last few years. They sold out of them the last few years. FYI, a lot of trollers have gone to big shooters now too, as they are a bit tougher and don't bend as quickly.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Judman
Calvin, threading herring? Whole? Cut plug? I've caught my bigger kings on whole, but more strikes more fish on cut plug. You guys brine em? I brine, dye blue with anise. Later

Whole, sometimes with the tail fillet'd out. Depends on the hook. Mouth shut with either a petite fastener, wire, or some other contraption. I know when I've threaded a good one, and it don't wobble. I've tried anise, but it just ends up making a big mess.

Last edited by Calvin; 06/15/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Heres my riggin, I think diver color matters too. I also cut the leader in half and put a bead swivel in, whole and cut plug spin better..
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Calvin, is this the 11" style your talking about? Thanks
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for your input Joel. I figured you guys that run big spreads on your trollers would definitely see a preference or trend while us sportfishers might be hard pressed to get a definitive idea. Having a lot of gear in the water gives someone the chance to get a better feeling for what works best. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the "Big Shooter" is that a brand like HotSpot or Shortbus?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Color maters here UV for sunny conditions this is a custom 10" Spin doctor I had made up fish with a meat rig behind it

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another with a 2 faced UV 10" spin doctor and meat

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
10" Big Weenie flasher with twinkie rig and meat

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.